autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Protecting Soft Touch surfaces from degradation, is it possible?

Something that seems to be a prevalent problem, seems to have lots of discussion on how to handle it after it's failed, but not how to prevent it. This problem is the degradation of soft touch surfaces that are on lots of European cars, including Ferrari, Maserati, VW, MB, etc... who use this to give a high end luxurious feel. This nice soft tactile feel is only good for a few years, but it seems more often than not, it then becomes a gooey, sticky, gross looking mess with buttons that look melted, fingerprints being permanently imprinted on them, and sticking to anything that touches it, including dirt and dust making it hard to clean.

So I'm wondering if anyone has had any success finding products that can protect these soft touch surfaces long term and prevent them from changing into this sticky ruined state, even 10 years later or more. Any user experience with products that have definitely protected or definitely accelerated degradation would be good to know about.

Ultima Interior Guard Plus?
    Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant?
    303 Aerospace?
    Anything?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Protecting Soft Touch surfaces from degradation, is it possible?

Subscribe to this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcwang View Post
    Something that seems to be a prevalent problem, seems to have lots of discussion on how to handle it after it's failed, but not how to prevent it. This problem is the degradation of soft touch surfaces that are on lots of European cars, including Ferrari, Maserati, VW, MB, etc... who use this to give a high end luxurious feel. This nice soft tactile feel is only good for a few years, but it seems more often than not, it then becomes a gooey, sticky, gross looking mess with buttons that look melted, fingerprints being permanently imprinted on them, and sticking to anything that touches it, including dirt and dust making it hard to clean.

So I'm wondering if anyone has had any success finding products that can protect these soft touch surfaces long term and prevent them from changing into this sticky ruined state, even 10 years later or more. Any user experience with products that have definitely protected or definitely accelerated degradation would be good to know about.

Ultima Interior Guard Plus?
    Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant?
    303 Aerospace?
    Anything?
    Maybe this...

SONAX Upholstery and Alcantara Cleaner, best alcantara cleaner

Or this....

Pinnacle Black Label Suede-Soft Alcantara? Protectant

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goonie75 View Post
    Maybe this...

SONAX Upholstery and Alcantara Cleaner, best alcantara cleaner

Or this....

Pinnacle Black Label Suede-Soft Alcantara? Protectant

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Those are for Alcantara so unlikely the right product. But if anyone has those and wants to give it a try and let us know….at least we would have some data point.

Post Thanks / Like

I've owned 2x BMW's and a VW over the years. All of them were in my garage for at least 6~7 years. My current BMW while only being in my possession for three years is pushing six years old. None of have have/do suffer from the "gooeyness" I've heard about. Also, I haven't found the German soft touch materials to be really any different from those I've seen in our Mazda or Toyota.

I think the key is keeping them clean, using a quality interior protectant frequently, and using a sun screen when the vehicle has parked outside. I do this for all my vehicles. The German ones don't get anything special.

As for products I've used a few over the years. Armour All was a disaster and I'm pretty sure it did more harm than good. I then moved on to Meguiars Natural Shine Protectant, 303 Aerospace, and now McKee's 37 Interior Protectant and DP's VLP interior coating. All have worked well in keeping the interior of my cars looking new.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

An Interior Cleaner should help remove the stickiness from your interior surfaces. An Interior Protectant will help with preventing the surfaces from getting sticky over the years. I like to use the Blackfire Interior Detailer since it cleans and protects in one step.

BLACKFIRE Interior Detailer, quick interior detailer, fast interior detailer