autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Opti-Coat Hyper Seal

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    What car wash are you using? Just playing devil's advocate, Any chance it's not rinsing fully thus covering up Hyper Seal's behavior?
    I was using Optimum Car Wash. I even went back over it again and it was dead. Even before the wash the hydrophobics were very poor. I must not have done something right. I did a full decon, strip with OPC, polish and paint prep with Gyeon Prep. I did put a second layer on 8 hours later, which per OPT is fine. Only needs an hour to set. I'm debating on whether to give it another shot or just use something else I have on hand.

Post Thanks / Like

I think hyper seal and opti seal are basically the same. I have opti seal and only thing I use it is on interior glass as cleaner. It was not a good sealant

3. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post
    I think hyper seal and opti seal are basically the same. I have opti seal and only thing I use it is on interior glass as cleaner. It was not a good sealant
    I have to say I can't even believe it qualifies as a sealant. I found Opti-Seal to be extremely weak. The new Hyper-Seal, which is what I used, is supposed to be significantly better than the old but who knows.....I love the look of both but water behavior is not impressive at all. I'm disappointed so far because i really like the look of it and how it goes on.

I noticed some differences between Wet Coat, HCD, OS and Hyper-Seal. Beads would fly off the paint around 15 mph with HCD, 40 mph for Griot's 3 in1 and around 25 mph with Wet Coat and no movement with Opti-Seal or Hyper-Seal so far. I know it sounds ridiculous but it is something I've noticed.

5. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    Not sure what to make of this. Did a quick wash last night. Zero protection left. Could the solvent in HS have dissolved remaining protection I didn’t completely remove? Clearly didn't bond properly. Or Hyper Seal is that weak....which I find hard to believe. Opti-Seal only lasted 2 weeks for me.
    Optimum and the reps would point the finger at you for not using any optimum polish during the prep process. This has always been their cop out when their products under perform. Just like when they pointed the finger at M205 when using Gloss Coat when it underperformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post
    Looks good homeslice on initial but bad durability I seeI tend to rant on and on about opti and the underwhelming Gloss Coat and how they should make something better. Plus it’s $60 for 10mls
    Exactly. Gloss Coat was rather underwhelming from my experience with it. I gave Opti-Seal away as well. The upside is the ease of use. I recall when Yvan was at Optimum how they boasted that their coatings required no topper and then Hyper Seal shows up haha.

7. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guz, good to know. I prepped the paint like I always have and never had this issue with any other product.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the new formula Hyper Seal since April. Initially I did a full decon & polish before applying two coats of Hyper Seal. Since then I wash my truck once a month and use Hyper Seal as a drying aid. Here is a pic I took a few minutes ago after a rain shower. The truck was last washed about 10 days ago. It has been driven over 700 miles since then & spent three days at the beach so it is covered in bugs & salt spray. No other products have been used other than Hyper Seal.

10. Likes CleanIT, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks good AMarkham40. I don't know what to make of my situation. I'm highly confident I did things exactly as they should be done.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I can't even believe it qualifies as a sealant. Opti-Seal is extremely weak. The new Hyper-Seal, which is what I used, is supposed to be significantly better than the old but who knows.....I love the look of both but water behavior is not impressive at all. I'm disappointed so far because i really like the look of it and how it goes on.

I noticed some differences between Wet Coat, HCD, OS and Hyper-Seal. Beads would fly off the paint around 15 mph with HCD, 40 mph for Griot's 3 in1 and around 25 mph with Wet Coat and no movement with Opti-Seal or Hyper-Seal so far. I know it sounds ridiculous but it is something I've noticed.
    Yeah, even BeadMaker will still have some protection left after that short of time. That's crazy! I did like Optimum Spray Wax and it has lasted with Topper as a drying aid since early Spring on my wife's car.

13. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks good AMarkham40. I don't know what to make of my situation. I'm highly confident I did things exactly as they should be done.
    I would give it another shot before throwing in the towel. I used 3D HD Polish+ then CarPro Eraser to make sure all the polishing oils were removed before applying Hyper Seal the first time. Now, I agree Hyper Seal is grabby when initially applied. I was told by an Optimum rep that slickness would improve after using the product as a drying aid a couple times. He was correct.

15. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you keep the car dry for 24 hours after application and before you attempted to wet it to test beading and wash it?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast