autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for advice on new compound

Wasn't a big enough sample bottle for anyone to use. So in the trash it went. It is not the only product that found its way to the trash.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you ever try The Last Cut Mike?

I'm a minimalist so to speak so i'm always looking for one product that i can use for compounding and finishing. What 3D one claims to do.

Maybe i should just pick a compound + polish combo and be done with it.

Cutmax for instance as never given me any wipeoff/dust issues and i've used it a good amount of times now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Surprised Meguia'r has not solved the dusting with their M110 compound. I do agree with you on the cut and finish but the dusting is what keeps me from using it. Which is where Ultracut and Cut Max have it beat in that regard. I find ultracut to finish out slightly better than cutmax but that is paint dependent as well.

Tried a sample of Jescar Correction Compound and it ended up in the the trash. I am not saying it was bad, as i did cut ok and finish out well. Just saying it didn't do anything to wow me from other compounds.
    Pretty much nailed it right here.

These days absolutley zero tolerance for dusting... to many good products out there that you don't have to deal with that.

I agree also that Ultracut cuts harder and also finishes down better than Cutmax. Pretty wicked cutting compound.

In which Jescar can't even remotely shake a stick at.
    Ultra Cut, Cutmax and Menzerna 400 are all light years better than Jescar
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Post Thanks / Like

Surprised Meguia'r has not solved the dusting with their M110 compound. I do agree with you on the cut and finish but the dusting is what keeps me from using it. Which is where Ultracut and Cut Max have it beat in that regard. I find ultracut to finish out slightly better than cutmax but that is paint dependent as well.

Tried a sample of Jescar Correction Compound and it ended up in the the trash. I am not saying it was bad, as i did cut ok and finish out well. Just saying it didn't do anything to wow me from other compounds.

3D One is fine but can be a bit oily to wipe off. Perfect Finish to me gives a better finish over 3D One.

Just goes to show that everyone finds a preference on what they like.
    M110 is way better than M105 and M100 for dusting. But I always reach for Jescar before it.

I have to assume that having so many options allows us all to find and use what works best for us. I find them all to have their attributes though. Like Ultracut is a really nice compound. Finishes way cleaner than Fixer! How often does the mega cut out finish the medium?! Ultimate Cut is also a fantastic compound. I chose Jescar because I found it to cut and finish better than everything else I had, while not dusting, and cleaning nicely out of my pads with the brush. I was puzzled that I kept reaching for it when I was using something else, and wishing I had it the times I didn't bring it with me. That one came out of left field for me.

I agree on Perfect Finish, finishing better than 3D ONE on a consistent basis. 3D ONE can finish nice on a lot of paints, but when it doesn't, it's a bummer. I really don't see myself wanting to keep products around that I can't use on almost any vehicle I use it on. So I may not re stock 3D ONE when I'm out. I will probably keep Jescar Medium and Optimum Intensive for that purpose.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 98CayenneTA View Post
    Pretty much nailed it right here.

These days absolutley zero tolerance for dusting... to many good products out there that you don't have to deal with that.

I agree also that Ultracut cuts harder and also finishes down better than Cutmax. Pretty wicked cutting compound.

In which Jescar can't even remotely shake a stick at.
    Ultra Cut, Cutmax and Menzerna 400 are all light years better than Jescar
    Now i want to buy Ultracut lol

I've read and heard so many good things about ultracut and carpro's reflect is also supposed to be very nice to work with.

Maybe i should get those 2. Excellent prices.

Side note: I'm trying to figure out what to take overseas/asia with me when i visit my wife and daughter. I plan to do a paint correction on her parents mini truck! But i don't want to take a ton of products. I always try to pack super light.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    What machine do you use?

I might pickup Jescar medium very soon. I can get a small 4oz sample from my main supplier.
    It depends. I usually start with an old Porter Cable 7424 non xp.

At the shop we have Adams Swirl Killers 15, and 21, and Rupes 21mk2, 15mk2, Mini, and Nano.

I also have my Duetto, Mini, 21es, Nano, and Flex 3401. At the shop I use the Swirl Killers I leave the Rupes stuff for my friend who got me the gig there, or the new kid. We do share the nano.

As far as the Correcting Compound goes, I have tested it intensely against many of the top tier compounds, and in my situation, with my approach, technique, whatever.- it just works for me. My friend prefers Megs D300, or The Last Cut. The Kid prefers 3D ONE. Even the three of us have vastly different tastes even though we work together and at our own businesses. So take my comments with a grain of salt. I can only speak to my experiences however right or wrong they are for others.

The feedback I've been getting from the owner of the shop has been positive. He puts me exclusively on the more difficult vehicles, and pickiest clients. Probably the most exclusive car I've done there was the owner of Meecham Auctions one of 25 Porsche 911. I believe they did a photo shoot with it in the parking lot. (Used 3D ONE on it!) But let it be known that there is a lot of fire power in the people posting in the thread who could easily take over for me where I'm at.

7. Likes noorth liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a question for the guys into the technical jargon.

This is a paragraph from the description of Carpro's Ultracut -

UltraCut contains a cocktail of fully diminishing abrasives, which correct heavy defects, while producing minimal hazing. Combine it with the CARPRO cutting pads (wool, flash, cool) or microfibres for extremely effective and efficient defect removal. Drop down to CARPRO orange polishing pad and you can finish down hologram-free even on the most sensitive paints.
    When they say "hologram-free" would this be the same as saying wax/LSP ready?

Do you think Ultracut can be used as a 1 product paint correction system on most paints?

Lastly, do you think gyeon primer on a foam polishing pad will easily clean up any haze left from Ultracut, in most cases?

Post Thanks / Like

Did you ever try The Last Cut Mike?

I'm a minimalist so to speak so i'm always looking for one product that i can use for compounding and finishing. What 3D one claims to do.

Maybe i should just pick a compound + polish combo and be done with it.

Cutmax for instance as never given me any wipeoff/dust issues and i've used it a good amount of times now.
    Never used last cut. I am pretty set with what I have at the moment. The good thing is you can get CarPro stuff in 8 oz bottles just like Sonax.

At the moment I am enjoying testing out the Dr. Beasley's surface primers.

10. Likes noorth liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Never used last cut. I am pretty set with what I have at the moment. The good thing is you can get CarPro stuff in 8 oz bottles just like Sonax.

At the moment I am enjoying testing out the Dr. Beasley's surface primers.
    8oz is deadly for hobbyists - even pro's for that matter - that like to try different products.

12. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you think Ultracut can be used as a 1 product paint correction system on most paints?
    Yes, on most paints you can. Now on something soft like Nissan black you're going to get micro maring but Ultracut paired with the right pad will give amazing results.

I actually do it quite often doing work for a classic car dealership where some of these cars are trashed from just being old but they don't want 20+ hours spent with a multi stg. correction I find one stepping Ultracut being the best option.
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

14. Thanks noorth thanked for this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast