autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A topic that has been beaten to DEATH - ONR vs. N-914

I don't know why it has taken me so long to get on with a rinseless wash solution, but it has! I've been using Meguiar's Ultimate Waterless Was for quite a bit this year with much success, I would say...but I usually go through quite a good part of the bottle because I want to make sure I really saturate everything. I park outside and when it rains the trees somehow leave this green residue that sometimes doesn't easily come off with a swipe of the solution, and I hate to rub the stuff; I prefer to make a single pass with a clean side of the towel.

The question(s) I have regarding these two products really has to do no so much with the cleaning ability but how they will interact (or not) with the LSPs I have. My understanding is that ONR leaves behind some kind of polymer coating (for lack of a better word), and that N-914 does not do that, however the N-914 may not be quite as versatile in other applications as the ONR and that it may not pick up as much grime as it either.

Disclosure - I'm a little a year into having applied CQUK 3.0 and have topped that with HCW, and then every so often when I just feel like smelling it I use Ultimate Quik Wax. Would using these rinseless products somehow interfere with or alter the layers of stuff already on the car? Does it even matter?

I feel as if this forum is split 3 ways, almost evenly, between ONR, N-914 and Uber Rinseless, with members preferring each for their own reasons. I'm only really taking car of my car mostly, so I don't need to be stocking up on all these products...but you know the nerd it me wants it ALL.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A topic that has been beaten to DEATH - ONR vs. N-914

For me it's Griot's Garage Brillant Shine rinseless wash for PURE clean and when I wanna clean AND add gloss AND protection its CarPro Ech20, this is for RW's only.

I could muddy the water and add Feynlab for PURE cleaning but the ratio has to be followed VERY closely due to its strong cleaning ability. Basically 1.5 ounce in 3 gallons of water is enough and if your LSP is on its "last legs" this ratio here "could" strip it. A good coating on the other hand, well, your ok here.

This could be an epic thread A topic that has been beaten to DEATH - ONR vs. N-914

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

3. Likes CleanIT, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You’re already topping the CQUK so what the difference? I use rinseless on my coated cars 90% of the time from spring thru early winter and the polymers left behind in any of the rinseless options are far less then HCW or theMegs Quick Wax and doesn’t impact the hydrophobics.

To dive down this rabbit hole you need to ask does a rinseless wash add anymore to the coating than a traditional wash? How is one actually going to measure it? It sounds like you enjoy topping your UK so just have fun,experiment if you want but keeping the coating clean is helpful and 1ounce of ONR in 2 gallons of water isn’t going to add anything substantial

5. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I find that sales are a good time to try new WW’s. I’ll buy a small bottle, then a gallon if I really like it.

Right now I’m working on a gallon of Pinnacle WW. It works great as a rinseless (1 oz/gal). My usual routine is a RW with a pre-treat spray at QD strength.

Post Thanks / Like

I find N-914 superior to ONR in every aspect but scent. ONR smells better. I only use N-914 for rinseless washes now.
    Bruno Soares

8. Likes fly07sti, KBsToy, bfielder32087, Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually use Uber SiO2 Rinseless but also like N-914 periodically for a stronger clean. Even if I don’t wash with Uber for a few weeks, the car without a coating still beads well so there is some decent protection when used regularly.

Post Thanks / Like

Between ONR & N914, I prefer N914 all day. I also get where you’re coming from and like to try different products out, as I think most of us do. Rinseless washes that I use are D114, N914, ADG Wipeout, ADG Fuzion, ech20, WG Uber, McKee’s Si02. They all have a place, at least that’s what I tell my wife. But really I just like having options.

11. Likes SNP209, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the input, everyone. Thanks!

Side note - was thinking of using these products with distilled water instead of tap water. Would that make any difference?

Post Thanks / Like

ONR works better with distilled water per Dr. G.

I love Griot's RW. Flashes fast and leave zero behind.

They are all great but each has their unique feel to them. According to Yvan what makes ONR unique is that it's "zwitterionic". Are the others? Don't know and don't know if it matters.

Forensic Detailing Channel did a scratch test between ONR, Megs and a few others (not Griot's) and ONR produced the least amount of scratches. That could be why ONR is a tad more streaky as it contains more polymers. Just a guess.

"The polymers in No Rinse have reactive groups that bond and trap dirt particles making the dirt particles virtually non-abrasive. They also bond to oily particles and emulsify them into water. The latter is equivalent to the cleaning action from soaps which also work by emulsifying oil particles into water. However, with soap there is no interaction with dirt. This is why adding No Rinse to a regular wash also helps protect the paint from dirt particles."

"
    Softer water cooperates well with ONR. ONR's actives bond to the minerals of hard waters, therefore you may add more ONR to harder waters. DI/distilled water have no such minerals and the cleaning/protecting power of ONR can be exploited without weakening. These kind of waters will feel slimier than tap water."

14. Likes Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'd use distilled.

16. Likes KBsToy liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast