autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best way to clean exterior of windshield

I'm continually having issues with windshield wipers (streaking, etc...) within weeks of changing them, so I'm wondering if perhaps my windshield is heavily contaminated (11 year old car). As an aside, I've tried so many different wipers from so many different companies, so I'm pretty sure it's not just bad wipers, but something with the glass instead.

Aside from actually polishing it (which is not something I would do), would a clay bar be the next step (I don't usually use a clay bar but I think I have some in a storage bin somewhere)? Or perhaps just IPA? And then a traditional glass cleaner?

Again, I'm not aiming for perfect glass, just trying to clean it up as best/easily as I can, to hopefully help the wipers work better.

Also, on a separate but related note, what is the go to recommendation these days for glass protection (something easy to apply)? Or is it not worth it (for someone like me who isn't hardcore about this stuff), as I assume any 'normal' windshield protection has to be added quite often (perhaps a ceramic coating lasts longer, but otherwise most products get worn away pretty quickly).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best way to clean exterior of windshield

You don’t necessarily need to use a “glass” polish to polish your windshield to get it clean, I use Pinnacle Polish or BF One Step (or whatever is laying around) with a white pad and it cleans it perfectly every time, only takes a few minutes max. You can also do this by hand too.

For the coating, I’ve used Pinnacle GlassCoat with great success, just don’t use too much product, little goes a long way.

For the inside of the windshield, lay a towel over the dash and use a MF or foam pad (by hand, no machine ) and use the same polish for the inside of the glass...I was blown away with the results.

Hope this helps
    Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

3. Likes SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

TTQ B4U mentioned on another thread that acetone and Windex was used to prep paint before coating. This might be a great mixture to clean glass. Dunno, haven't tried it.

If a glass cleaner doesn't work, you maybe forced to polish. Since your not trying to remove scratches, any glass polish should remove any residue that's on your glass.

5. Likes SNP209, TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much. Perhaps I'll try polishing by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

I would clean, clay & polish the glass surface but since you do not want to polish the glass go ahead and just clean & clay the glass. It will help remove the contamination on the surface of the glass. Glass Coatings are easy to work with and will last a while. Glass Sealants are great, but will need to be reapplied more often.

BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Glass Cleaner, BLACKFIRE Glass Cleaner
    BLACKFIRE Poly Clay - Aggressive
    Diamondite Glass Polish
    BLACKFIRE GLASSPRO Coating System
    Griot's Garage Glass Sealant, glass protectant, windshield sealant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
    I would clean, clay & polish the glass surface but since you do not want to polish the glass go ahead and just clean & clay the glass. It will help remove the contamination on the surface of the glass. Glass Coatings are easy to work with and will last a while. Glass Sealants are great, but will need to be reapplied more often.

BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Glass Cleaner, BLACKFIRE Glass Cleaner
    BLACKFIRE Poly Clay - Aggressive
    Diamondite Glass Polish
    BLACKFIRE GLASSPRO Coating System
    Griot's Garage Glass Sealant, glass protectant, windshield sealant
    Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / Like

I've had great success with Autoglym Glass Polish, both inside and out. It's not really a polish, more of a cleaner. It applies like a wax, wipe it on, let it haze, buff it off. The only downside for older windshields is, if it's pitted, it will leave some residue in the pits, but the rest will be crystal clear. I've found it the best for removing the haze that develops on the inside as well.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

10. Likes 57Rambler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I've had great success with Autoglym Glass Polish, both inside and out. It's not really a polish, more of a cleaner. It applies like a wax, wipe it on, let it haze, buff it off.

Similarly, I like to use Wolfgang Perfekt Vision Glass Polish polishes and restores auto glass windshields and windows..

Chemically it uses a safe but effective citrus base, plus it has some abrasives as well. Can be applied by hand or machine. I use it once in the spring cleanup, then again in the fall during my winter prep. If you keep up with your maintenance you can definitely get by with doing it by hand.

12. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stoner Glass Stripper

Clay and use this by hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a short blog I put out on my site a while back based on my experience and practice prepping and coating glass. The true key to success IMO/IME is getting the glass perfectly clean so water clings to it and doesn't bead. That means you've removed EVERYTHING and are down to virgin glass. I also am adamant about replacing wipers. As part of my process when customers pay for a window treatment, I build in replacement wiper inserts as part of the cost and replace them for them at the time of the detail.

Safe Driving Starts with Good Visibility
    Glass Coatings are a great alternative to OTC Rain-X or AquaPel products. The advantage they bring is a more consistent performance free of streaking and the length of time they last. On windshields coatings typically last 6-9 months with upwards of a year is not uncommon. The main point of degradation comes from wear and tear from wipers and the fact that the front of vehicles is constantly being pelted by contaminants that wear away at the protection.

Key to Success
    The key to successfully applying a glass coating lies within the preparation of the surface just as it does with paint coatings. Most all the complaints and issues I see with glass coatings can be traced back to improper preparation which leads to uneven application, thus wiper shudder, or a less than prepared surface that leads to contaminants still being present and again, causing wiper shudder or streaking. Lastly, if the glass isn’t prepared the product can not bond effectively thus it simply will not last.

Remove the Contaminants
    When preparing for glass coatings, start when washing your vehicle. Use glass clay or a synthetic clay-mitt to remove the surface contaminants such as dirt, grime, road film, tree sap, etc that will simply not be removed by washing alone. I prefer synthetic mitts simply because they are more effective and last longer. Do NOT use regular paint formulated clay as it will tend to get trapped in the microscopic pits of the glass and thus impeding proper bonding leading to the above noted issues. Once trapped, it’s also very difficult to remove.

Once the vehicle is cleaned and dried, the key then becomes getting down to the virgin glass under what still will be on there which includes timeless amounts of road film and sealants. If you notice the water isn’t “clinging” (see top right image) to the window as shown in this photo and instead is beading or leaving streaks of water, then it’s not ready to be coated. Once the glass is cleaned and water clings, it's so thick you can cut through it with a water blade and yet the surface tension will still hold the surrounding water in place. That's a good thing!

Best way to clean exterior of windshield-20190630-080444-web_orig-jpg

Best way to clean exterior of windshield-20190630-080525-web_orig-jpg

What’s next is to use a fine glass polish and a polishing pad specifically for glass. This will safely remove any remaining layers of film and open up the pores from pitting over time so that the product can fill in those marks and bond effectively leaving a fully level surface that is hydrophobic and super smooth. I like Adam’s Brand Fine Glass Polish and their corresponding glass pads. Adam’s is super easy to wipe off and again, unlike traditional polishes meant for paint, will not fill in the pores that are now exposed.

CarPro CeriGlass is another good alternative but overkill for coating applications and if not used in the hands of a skilled person will actually scour or scratch your windows, so consider your experience level and understanding of the product before attempting to use it.

Final Step
    Once the polishing is done and wiped away, I like to use denatured alcohol and some paint prep spray to give it a final once over to remove all traces of anything. From there, a final wipe down with a good window cleaner to leave a perfectly smooth and clean glass layer ready for your coating is all that’s needed. I like Stoner’s Invisible Glass as my go-to cleaner for both inside and outside of windows.

Now you’re all set and ready to apply your window coating of choice. Just be sure to follow their respective instructions closely and going forward, avoid using any detail sprays, waxes or sealants on the windshield portion of the vehicle with wipers as they can lead to shuddering or poor performance over time. On side windows, I’m okay with spraying them but here too, anything you apply to the glass will tend to overpower the properties of your glass coating thus leading to more beading vs sheeting.

Good luck and enjoy your now clear vision!
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

15. Likes Bobh59 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast