autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scangrip lights worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bdubbs View Post
    I need to do some research. I don't understand the big difference between the two. I assume the Gyeon Prism will still show imperfections in the paint?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
    Gyeon is the same light, made by Scangrip. Just has the extra two features, one of which is very useful for coatings and they won’t sell you the diffuser separately. It would attach to the Scangrip one if you managed to get it. It’s harder to find Gyeon’s model though as it’s not sold by many retailers.
    Bruno Soares

2. Likes Bdubbs, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I detailed my 90 coupe I didn't use any special lighting. I definitely missed some areas that I'd like to go over again at some point.

And I plan on working on my wife's 67 fastback and my 03 cobra at some point.

So in saying that, is it a good idea to invest in Scangrip lights? Or another brand? If Scangrip is the best, which one should I go with?
    they aren't necessary. honestly, cheap halogen or even LED's from Home Depot are what I call the "ugly lights" Once they are on a clean dry and ready to be polished car, they will show any and all things ugly. I've used them side by side with really expensive one another detailer has brought over and there's no real difference in what they each reveal in terms of marring and scratches. Color matched lights are used more for paint work.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

4. Likes Bdubbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the Multimatch R will work. Anyone using the tripod for it?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
    There is a hole in the magnetized base that allows you to bolt it to a tripod.

Scangrip lights worth it?-scanlight-jpg

6. Likes Bdubbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    they aren't necessary. honestly, cheap halogen or even LED's from Home Depot are what I call the "ugly lights" Once they are on a clean dry and ready to be polished car, they will show any and all things ugly. I've used them side by side with really expensive one another detailer has brought over and there's no real difference in what they each reveal in terms of marring and scratches. Color matched lights are used more for paint work.
    I agree. I feel that "swirl finder" lights from any manufacturer are simply marketing hype. That said, they are convenient because of their small size and portability.

Nearly any bright light source will do the job. Over the years I have used 100W incandescent bulbs in a trouble light fixture and it works as well as anything else I have used. Lately, incandescent bulbs are getting harder to source so I've been using LED bulbs.

I also have access to and have used a Flex "swirl finder" that a friend of mine (who falls for every gimmick out there) purchased. Other than the convenience factor it works no better than a more traditional light source.

8. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12