autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best winter washing method

I do a self wash bay as soon as I can. The issue with that is sometimes if it's cold enough, they end up closing them so they don't freeze the water. I think the local touchless may stay open and be an option.

I would do a rinseless if it's warm enough or I did get AMMO frothe/boost and a foamer to try as well. Haven't used that yet. I use TRC Eagle Edgeless 350's for RW.

There was some previous discussion on a PVC undercarriage sprayer that seemed like a good idea as well.

2. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the depths of winter, I take our vehicles through a touchless car wash. It doesn't get them perfectly clean, but one of our local places has an underbody spray so it does a pretty good job with knocking off the majority of the salt and grime.

On the rare instance when temperatures and time line up, I'll do a bucket wash, but for the most part I simply deal with clean-ish vehicles until the weather warms up.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

4. Likes CleanIT, Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    How are you gonna get the gold class off with no hose?

Also agree with above but would use your presoak. Spray 2 panels at a time. Let dwell for couple minutes then rinseless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeahhhh... I was pretty tired when I wrote this last night and didn't think about how I would get the Gold Class off lol

6. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    I do a self wash bay as soon as I can. The issue with that is sometimes if it's cold enough, they end up closing them so they don't freeze the water. I think the local touchless may stay open and be an option.

I would do a rinseless if it's warm enough or I did get AMMO frothe/boost and a foamer to try as well. Haven't used that yet. I use TRC Eagle Edgeless 350's for RW.

There was some previous discussion on a PVC undercarriage sprayer that seemed like a good idea as well.
    Love ammo frothe! How i use is soak car down with A normal waterless/rinseless (ONR).

Let panel soak for a minute then spray Frothe and soak for 30 seconds. This is all per panel.

I wipe one direction with folded up MF and flip every pass.

I would even think to use boost in the ONR pretreat to dwell longer.

8. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input folks! Really appreciate it. Sounds like I will be doing a pre-soak with ONR in a sprayer, then a rinseless wash. I will need to invest in a few things (pump sprayer, quality MF towels, and some ONR).

I do have a question for those that recommend touchless car washes -- I always avoided these because I heard they all use harsh soaps (since no agitation possible) and will strip waxes/sealants. Is this not necessarily true then?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Good old PA winters. I wait till it warms up enough and do a regular driveway wash in the winter.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

11. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCarBlues View Post
    Thanks for all the input folks! Really appreciate it. Sounds like I will be doing a pre-soak with ONR in a sprayer, then a rinseless wash. I will need to invest in a few things (pump sprayer, quality MF towels, and some ONR).

I do have a question for those that recommend touchless car washes -- I always avoided these because I heard they all use harsh soaps (since no agitation possible) and will strip waxes/sealants. Is this not necessarily true then?
    I don’t doubt that some may use a caustic solution, but I think they’re fine for occasional use to cut the crud in the winter. That being said, I do a touchless wash on my car about twice a month and have for several years, and get no problems with trim, paint, any surface.
    Glen -

13. Likes Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In a heated garage with a drain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    In a heated garage with a drain.
    Yeah yeah... that's in the 10 year plan

16. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCarBlues View Post

From my understanding is they chemicals are alkaline in nature and could hurt sealants or waxes. I think that the crud and road film winter conditions left on the car could be just as bad or worse for LSP’s.

After a tunnel wash i will clean up dirty spots with a waterless wash and then spray whole car with a light mist of waterless and a couple sprays of Sio2 sealant to dry.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast