autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing Plan for Manganese Grey VW Passat

Hi everybody,

This is my first post (outside introduction) - if I'm in the wrong spot, please let me know.

Background:
    I purchased a VW Passat in Manganese Grey in April this year. It has spent 50% of its time garaged so far, but will be fully garaged (apart from use) leading into the rest of the year. It has been through commercial hand car wash to keep it clean.
    I'm finally able to allocate time to give it a good detail and sealant and maintain it myself. I love the color, it ranges from a warm dark brown/grey to a cool dark charcoal grey depending on the light. It is metallic and I think atm the current state isn't doing justice to the metallic paint flecks.

Tools: I have access to the following:
    - RO/DA polisher with a 5inch backing plate. 6 speeds, 600W. It also came with a Microfibre cutting pad, Orange Polishing Pad, and a Black Finishing Pad (no brand name).
    - Lake Country Hydrotech Cyan, Tangerine and Crimson Pads
    - Pad cleaning Brushes
    - Various Microfibre towels
    - Various applicators (Microfibre and foam)

Products:
    Menzerna HC400, 2400, 3500
    Klasse Twins
    Wolfgang Deep Gloss Combo Kit (WG Detail Spritz and WGDGPS)
    Collinite 845
    Pinnacal Micro Rejuvenator

My Plan so far:
    1) Wash and fine clay with clay lube
    2) Prep paint work with Menzerna Super Finish 3500 and LC Tangerine pad.
    3) Apply Klasse AIO on panels, glass and rims
    4) Apply 2 x coats Klasse SG on panels

After step four, I'm thinking of layering with the WGDGPS or the 845 or both (in that order).

My main aim (apart from protection) is to get the paint to pop. Is it overkill to do one layer each of WG and 845 over the SG?

Ongoing:
    Use the WG Detailing Spritz in between and after washes to keep it looking smart.

Would love to know your thoughts on my approach. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing Plan for Manganese Grey VW Passat

Not familiar with that polisher but I'll add my 2 cents. Don't over-think it or make more where it's not needed.

First, you may not need to multi-step it. That will however depend on how bad it is and if the polisher is solid. I do a lot of single step corrections on even badly marred paint but then I'm using a forced rotation/oscillation Flex set up. That said, use some Lake Country Orange Flat pads. They are medium cut but finish outstandingly well on German Paints. You'll need 6-8 of them perhaps 10 for that vehicle.

Again, you won't likely need so many steps and products. Here's a Porsche I did in Vulcan Grey and just posted yesterday. One step with CarPro Essence and Orange Pads. 3hrs with the polishers and then ceramic coated. 2017 Porsche Macan GTS Gets restored

Very similar color and hardness level. Got 95% reduction/correction with ease.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing the results.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

3. Thanks supercharger thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Firstly, wow - that Porsche finish looks amazing. The before and after on the trim is incredible. Yes, that color is very similar to mine.

Thanks for the tip on the pads - I never thought I'd need 8 pads - I only have 1! (Does that apply to pads for wax also)?

The polisher is a DAS6-Pro (8mm orbit).

The paint is in excellent condition - being new - but it has light swirling from what I assume is the car wash and perhaps the original dealer detailing.

Atm those are the products I have on hand, so if I can get away with using some combination of those, that would be great. I can spend the money on more pads(!) and tyre dressing which i don't have.

I will definitely post photos!
    Last edited by supercharger; 09-20-2021 at 07:09 AM. Reason: clarity

Post Thanks / Like

For spreading wax a single pad is fine. It's compound/polish that requires more. No way you'd get a job that is satisfactory if you tried to do the whole car with 1 pad. It would also destroy the pad. Remember, heat is the enemy. So overworking one pad or loading it up with too much product and removed clear coat will make it hotter and that will cause it to fail. Having more pads means none of them gets overworked and therefore they last much longer. If you have a decent amount of pads and clean them right after you're done detailing that day, they will last you a long time.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AG and congrats on your new ride. May I ask why you are double posting?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks - i love it - drives really nicely and the color looks great. I had to wait a couple months to pick the color i wanted but it was definitely worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Welcome to AG and congrats on your new ride. May I ask why you are double posting?
    oh I didn't realise I had - I'll find the the other one and delete.

EDIT: I can't seem to find it (sorry - I'm a little new to this) - can you point me to the post and i'll remove it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by supercharger View Post
    oh I didn't realise I had - I'll find the the other one and delete.
    You don't have to. No worries.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

9. Thanks supercharger thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    For spreading wax a single pad is fine. It's compound/polish that requires more. No way you'd get a job that is satisfactory if you tried to do the whole car with 1 pad. It would also destroy the pad. Remember, heat is the enemy. So overworking one pad or loading it up with too much product and removed clear coat will make it hotter and that will cause it to fail. Having more pads means none of them gets overworked and therefore they last much longer. If you have a decent amount of pads and clean them right after you're done detailing that day, they will last you a long time.
    Thanks that makes a lot of sense - I'm def picking up extras for light swirl removal.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks that makes a lot of sense - I'm def picking up extras for light swirl removal.
    Look into Lake Country or Buff-n-Shine pads. (Both sold here on AutoGeek).

The flat pads (no hexagonal or other patterns) are what you want.

More pads= better final outcome, less pad wear, and easier pad cleaning.

Spending 50 bucks on 6-8 pads might seem a bit steep to a newbie, but believe me when I say it will be the best money you can spend if you are serious about machine polishing.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

12. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since your VW likely has hard clear coat, I’d say get more of the lake country orange pads than white or black. Those might not offer enough cut to correct hard clear.

My GTI needs microfiber pad and compound for any correction other than minor swirls. Minor stuff does come off with LC orange. White pads do basically nothing.
    Bruno Soares

14. Thanks supercharger thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast