autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing Plan for Manganese Grey VW Passat

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    Since your VW likely has hard clear coat, I’d say get more of the lake country orange pads than white or black. Those might not offer enough cut to correct hard clear.

My GTI needs microfiber pad and compound for any correction other than minor swirls. Minor stuff does come off with LC orange. White pads do basically nothing.
    Thanks for the heads up - I was looking at the six pack and tossing up between the whites and oranges. I'll get 2 packs of both and test them out - but I'm guessing the clear coat is similar to the GTI (nice ride btw )

2. Thanks Bruno Soares thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by supercharger View Post
    Thanks for the heads up - I was looking at the six pack and tossing up between the whites and oranges. I'll get 2 packs of both and test them out - but I'm guessing the clear coat is similar to the GTI (nice ride btw )
    I can also attest to the hardness of VW clear. I have a 2019 Jetta GLI in Pure Grey and like Bruno, I needed to use microfiber + medium cut compound just to knock down some of the car wash swirls after purchasing it. I would maybe grab one or two Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber pads for use on some of the more swirled out portions.
    Colin Lang
    @DimensionalShine <- My Detailing IG Page

4. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    Since your VW likely has hard clear coat, I’d say get more of the lake country orange pads than white or black. Those might not offer enough cut to correct hard clear.

My GTI needs microfiber pad and compound for any correction other than minor swirls. Minor stuff does come off with LC orange. White pads do basically nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by crg001 View Post
    I can also attest to the hardness of VW clear. I have a 2019 Jetta GLI in Pure Grey and like Bruno, I needed to use microfiber + medium cut compound just to knock down some of the car wash swirls after purchasing it. I would maybe grab one or two Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber pads for use on some of the more swirled out portions.
    Yeah, these two posts should be enough to convince you to forget about the white LC pads. (They are great pads, but they have their place. And use on harder clears is not one of them, IMO)

I would describe the clearcoat on my Ram as "Medium/Hard" and the white pads do not really have that "It factor/sweet spot" to do much correcting. And I am sure that your VW clear is harder.

Just my opinion, and trying to save you from having a bunch of white pads collecting dust..........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Likes Bruno Soares, crg001 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12