autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Carpet steaming and extracting.

I wanted to do a thorough job using my steamer and water extractor. ( both roughly $150 a piece. So you get the quality of units in question )
    I will steam before I use the water extractor.
    Should I spray the carpet cleaning solution first before I steam. Then use the water extractor.
    or
    Should I steam, then after the steaming. Apply the carpet cleaning solution. Then hit it with the water extractor?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carpet steaming and extracting.

I (a DIYer who only works on his own cars) use a Bissell Spot Clean Pro that's probably about the same quality and performance as whatever machine you're using. I don't have a steam cleaner, but my process for carpets is vacuum, spray with cleaning solution, agitate with a drill brush (usually soft, medium for tougher stains), then extract with the Bissell filled with hot water.

It sometimes takes a few passes to get all the solution out of the carpet fibers, but the results are actually really good. FWIW, I use Chemical Guys Fabric Clean (only CG product I use) diluted 20:1.
    There's plenty of people here who can probably offer more and better advice, but that's what's worked for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luket View Post
    I wanted to do a thorough job using my steamer and water extractor. ( both roughly $150 a piece. So you get the quality of units in question )
    I will steam before I use the water extractor.
    Should I spray the carpet cleaning solution first before I steam. Then use the water extractor.
    or
    Should I steam, then after the steaming. Apply the carpet cleaning solution. Then hit it with the water extractor?
    Thanks
    I would do the latter.

Post Thanks / Like

I would spray your cleaner (Boil some water, put in a pump sprayer, add your chems, spray), agitate, and then use the extractor. If there is a lot of dirt coming out, I would repeat.

Shouldn't be any reason to use your steamer with the extractor. I would only use the steamer for light soiling. And then, I would use it with a rag attachment and a cleaner that doesn't need rinsing ( 303 MSC, Procyon, something like that).

Post Thanks / Like

If you're going to use two different machines then here's the process.

1. Pre-Treat with your cleaning solution. Use a spray bottle or garden sprayer and agitate it into the carpet to distribute the product on the fibers. This is the first step even with a professional extractor. Let dwell per instructions.

2. Next hit with steam while simultaneously following the steamer path with the extractor.

The key is using pH balanced products. The pre-treatment should be no more than 9-9.5 pH and the rinse agent mixed into the water extractor would conversely be around a pH of 3 to 3.5

Do NOT over-saturate the material with water. Usually best practice is to extract with hot water once and then just suction twice, overlapping the previous area.

Hope that helps.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks above. The reason for using both steam and extractor was to eliminate some odors. I already did a extensive water extractor job. The smell didnt come out. So just for my piece of mind. Before I use a ozone machine I wanted to detail it one more time with a different approach . Steam and extractor.
    So I was debating on when to apply the concentrate shampoo in a pump sprayer.. ( just a walmart carpet and odor remover shampoo.)
    Before steam and extracting. Or steam first then shampoo then extract.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks above. The reason for using both steam and extractor was to eliminate some odors. I already did a extensive water extractor job. The smell didnt come out. So just for my piece of mind. Before I use a ozone machine I wanted to detail it one more time with a different approach . Steam and extractor.
    So I was debating on when to apply the concentrate shampoo in a pump sprayer.. ( just a walmart carpet and odor remover shampoo.)
    Before steam and extracting. Or steam first then shampoo then extract.
    Look into Chlorine Dioxide too. Better and safer than Ozone. Faster too. 40 minute treatment vs multiple 2hr treatments.
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

thx will research it

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a ozone generator.. which works better ozone or chlorine. maybe use both ?

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a ozone generator.. which works better ozone or chlorine. maybe use both ?
    I have both, used ozone for years, moved into more formalized commercial cleaning training as my wife and I have rental properties, etc. that I assist and sometimes maintain along side the property mgt company we use. I've since shelved my ozone machines and moved to ClO2. Again, even if all things were equal result wise, ClO2 is faster and safer.

Both are gases mind you; ozone is made of three oxygen atoms, chlorine dioxide is made of two oxygen atoms and a chlorine atom. The difference is seen comparing the oxidation strength & oxidation capacity. Cl02 is effective at lower concentrations and is far less reactive than ozone on surrounding materials such as fabrics and plastics. When left exposed too long, ozone causes surfaces and materials to deteriorate where that doesn't happen with ClO2. Chlorine only reacts with sulphuric substances, amines and some other reactive organic substances. It is also more effective when large amount of organic matter is present aka molds, etc.

Short story, less chlorine dioxide is required to obtain an active residual disinfectant affect and it targets smoke and odors at their source more effectively and in less time with near no risks to surrounding materials.

If you have Ozone, use it. If you're doing detailing for others, I would advise you look into ClO2 and go through some training on carpet extraction and interior commercial cleaning. The knowledge and skills you will learn are priceless.

11. Thanks dwaleke, dgage thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite, dwaleke, dgage liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast