autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thread: SiC application

Post Thanks / Like

SiC application

I'm getting ready to coat my truck and recently bought Carpro SiC for the truck. I've used Cquartz UK numerous times with excellent results. I've read good things about SiC, so I thought I would try it. Now I've read where people are using it over UK. Is it a stand alone coating or a topper? I don't want to go through all the work of applying it and wish I'd have researched more. Thanks for any input. Tim

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SiC application

It’s a coating, very slick. It has potential for a longer flash time compared to UK and where you are located so the application may take quite a bit longer than UK. The second coat is very easy and so far so good for me especially with water spots. I’m gonna strip the water spot nightmare of Adams Graphene Coating and I am one of those that will also stack the SiC over the UK on a couple of panels to see if there’s merit to it

Post Thanks / Like

It’s a stand alone. It replaced the previous version regular cquartz aka TiO2. Very similar in application, feel and looks.

There is nothing new topping UK with SiC. UK was topped with TiO2 way before Gliss came out. It just became popular with SiC because YouTube has more detailing you tubers pushing product.

You will find posts here about UK topped with TiO2 from a member.

By the way in my testing of it stand alone and as a topper to UK, it has developed water spotting. Not what you want to hear but it is not a miracle coating to prevent that.

As an example here is a corvette that I applied UK 2.0 topped with TiO2.

Post Thanks / Like

UK SiC is a Silicone Carbide coating and is supposed to have more chemical resistance than UK so together they make a very good combo. As vobro mentioned, it is supposed to have better resistance to water spots (chemical etching) than UK 3.0. And as vobro mentioned, UK SiC is a very slick coating. I wanted a slick coating so dirt presumably wouldn't stick so that's why I chose UK SiC to go over UK 3.0 and then chemical resistance is an added bonus that I also wanted. The one downside to SiC is it takes longer to flash depending on your weather conditions so you'll have to experiment with how long to wait before wiping it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there anything specific to look for with flash time? I've never had an issue with UK being difficult to level, even like over 5 minutes it's still easy to work with. I want optimal bonding for optimal effects. Just experiment with a panel?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joleyred View Post
    Is there anything specific to look for with flash time? I've never had an issue with UK being difficult to level, even like over 5 minutes it's still easy to work with. I want optimal bonding for optimal effects. Just experiment with a panel?

Yeah, you'll want to figure it out as you go because the environment dictates how long. What worked for one of us might not be what works for you. It's not difficult, but I think UK is easier because it's so forgiving. With SiC I found that it's easy to be wiping off too soon but also easy to let it sit too long and it's not coming off. I hadn't left a high spot in a while and with SiC I had a few to take care of because I could tell it was getting hard to remove and even applying more fresh coating over it and immediately wiping off it wouldn't disappear, had to polish again and re-coat.

Although it's a full coating by itself, I also opted to do 2 layers of UK topped with 1 layer of SiC as many have been doing now.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Best video on how to figure out the flash time.

8. Likes Bruno Soares, Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. Good video. Not to sound lazy, but my truck is so big that 2 to 3 coats is a major task. It's a 1 ton crew cab, lots of real estate. I just need to set my mind to the task at hand and get after it. The roof alone looks like a basketball court! Oh well, here we go!! Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

You'll love Sic. I am a big user of it. Works great in 1 layer or 2. You can use it alone or over top of UK 3.0
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

11. Thanks joleyred thanked for this post
    Likes Texchappy, joleyred liked this post