autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Layering?

Post Thanks / Like

Layering?

Layering is tempting to do for many reasons. At what point though are you doing more harm than good? If a product contains some % of wax, won't layering it just be removing the existing protection and adding new protection?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Layering?

Having this problem myself I can tell you that when I do a contact wash after using a stronger pre-wash foam (CarPro Lift/Gyeon Restart/Griot's Garage foaming surface prep) my finish has more clarity without a doubt!

If your really intune with your finish you'll notice it and either back off on toppers with protection or mix in stronger pre-washes like the ones I mentioned above. I don't feel they strip the protection but remove traffic film and/or "extra" layers that maybe be clogging the finish. The Guz coined a term called making your finish "mute" which I think is spot onLayering?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

3. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to know, thanks Klasse!

I have noticed in the past when I had previous protection on my car (it may have been 3 in 1 not sure) that over time it looked like the water behavior was slowing down. I then did a wash with Turtle Wax Max Power soap at full strength (10.2 pH) and as soon as I rinsed it off, the beading was back as strong as new. So what you and Guz said makes perfect sense.

5. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This was it:

Help explain this?

I may just use TW Max Power every several washes to do a deeper clean. Stuff is dirt cheap and works really well. They claim in leaves nothing behind either.

7. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally think “layering” is one of the biggest scams the Detailing industry has ever put on the public. Sure I agree with a solid base product plus an occasional topper but the idea of putting on three or four different products is just ridiculous. I’ve tried it and I don’t see much more gloss than a good solid base and topper. To me it’s like “lather-rinse- repeat”… The biggest scam that shampoo industry has put on people in history. Again, obviously just my opinion.
    Glen -

9. Likes CleanIT, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    I personally think “layering” is one of the biggest scams the Detailing industry is ever put on the public. Sure I agree with a solid base product plus an occasional topper but the idea of putting on three or four different products is just ridiculous. I’ve tried it and I don’t see much more gloss than a good solid base and topper. To me it’s like “lather rinse repeat”… The biggest scam that shampoo industry has put on people in history. Again, obviously just my opinion.
    I agree. From a chemistry perspective too, I don't think it is a good idea. The surface can only handle so much of any one product. Plus, adding more could be stripping what is already there. Then you get into chemistries that don't work well together. I'm more of a purist and like to stay with one brand due to compatibility issues.

11. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure it's as much a scam as it is there's people like myself that enjoy the process of toppers. I think toppers like Beadmaker and the new Dream Maker are what people like me gravitate too, the later more so as it doesn't have any or very little protection or protection that washes away soon. I mean look at the ceramic wash soaps, this too helps our "fix".

They know what their doing for sureLayering?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

13. Likes CleanIT, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    I agree. From a chemistry perspective too, I don't think it is a good idea. The surface can only handle so much of any one product. Plus, adding more could be stripping what is already there. Then you get into chemistries that don't work well together. I'm more of a purist and like to stay with one brand due to compatibility issues.
    ^^^^ this ^^^^

Yvan LaCroix has stated numerous times over the years that after you finish applying the 10th layer of wax you have exactly 1 layer of wax on your car

The carriers and solvents built into the wax strip each previous coat

I am not sure that applies to the multi product layering scheme because frequently each layer is slightly different chemistry but I generally agree with the stick with the brand program to maximize your chances of everything playing well together

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    ^^^^ this ^^^^

Yvan LaCroix has stated numerous times over the years that after you finish applying the 10th layer of wax you have exactly 1 layer of wax on your car

The carriers and solvents built into the wax strip each previous coat

I am not sure that applies to the multi product layering scheme because frequently each layer is slightly different chemistry but I generally agree with the stick with the brand program to maximize your chances of everything playing well together

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yvan is where I first heard of this too. Makes perfect sense. If anything, it is probably best to stay relatively within a product line, although compatibility issues can still happen. For example I'm using GG 3 in 1. I would not want to add their Poly Gloss on top or below the 3 in 1. The chemistry is different and you'd mitigate whatever went on first.

17. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup Yup

Everyone will scream "amateur, hack..." but I love 3D Speed topped with 3D Poxy, and then I break the cycle with OCW just because I always have some around

My rigs here are garaged but that combo lasts and lasts for me through months of weekly maintenance washes

I intend to try 3D Express wax at some point and see if the "family" approach is better or worse than OCW

I am going to try TW HSWW as well simply because others on here have raved about it and it will be interesting to see if it works well with other brands

19. Likes CleanIT, Klasse Act, PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast