autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Collinite 845: A couple questions

Today I took out an old bottle of Collinite 845. It was like running into a long lost friend. I then put a coat of 845 on my wife's Honda Accord. It was very satisfying to apply the wax, let it dry to a haze, and then buff it off. For the last 3 or 4 years, I have used spray ceramic sealants, so it felt good to go back to an old school wax.

I have a couple questions about 845:

1) I vaguely remember reading that I should avoid applying 845 to black trim. Is that correct? Today, I did indeed avoid putting it on black trim. To protect the trim, I applied Griot's Garage 3-in-1 Ceramic Wax just to the trim. Is this recommended or is it ok to apply 845 to trim?

2) How does 845 compare in terms of durability to GG 3-in-1 Ceramic Wax? I know 845 does not contain any ceramic, so it supposedly doesn't last as long. But given that 845 dwells on the paint for several minutes while it dries to a haze and the GG 3-in-1 is wiped off immediately, it just seems strange to think that the GG would be more durable.

3) Where I live, summer temperatures routinely get above 100 degrees. I know that in general carnauba waxes don't do well in hot temps. But since Collinite 845 also has synthetic polymers in it, does it do ok in the heat? How long will 845 in hot summer temps?

Thank you,
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collinite 845: A couple questions

I previously loved 845 and 476 but left them because of the static/dusting. 845 doesn't effect rubber trim and was good on my black truck for 2-3 months in the VA sun. (no garage). FWIW I still use 845 as my quick wax on client cars because it's so user-friendly.

3. Thanks joebruin77 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Durable as all get out, but too much hassle to use. However if I wanted a winter sealer in a heavily salt area like upper NY………
    Glen -

5. Thanks joebruin77 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hassle???

How so? I must be doing something wrong.

7. Likes DFB, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    Hassle???

How so? I must be doing something wrong.
    The only thing I could think of regarding 845 being a "hassle" would be the need to warm it up in cooler climates. Even then, all it takes is moment under hot running water to liquefy it. Or perhaps the light hazing after a few days, which disappears after the next wash. Both are easy to deal with. I guess at this point I would say that all products have their pluses and minuses.

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    2018 Colorado ZR2

11. Thanks joebruin77 thanked for this post
    Likes John U, PaulMys, Jim w liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are my thoughts. I've not used 845 for a while, but used it for many years.

1. I kept it off black trim too. Not because I experienced any staining of the trim, but other waxes and sealants I'd used before 845 did, and I was a little gun-shy.

2. I'm not sure 3 in 1 has been around long enough to do a full torture test. My vote would be on 845. 3 in 1 is a great product and I like using it, but I'm not sure they are in the same class. I could get 5~6 months durability from 845 easily.

3. 845 was originally designed to be used on the insulators on electrical power lines. It's really durable and should hold up to both heat and cold pretty well. It did just fine for me in temps of 95F+ and very high humidity. I used it year round and was able to six-ish months regardless of blazing summer temps or freezing cold winters.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

13. Likes joebruin77, PaulMys, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, everyone, for your very helpful replies. I noticed that 845 has a strong chemical smell and doesn't seem to rinse out of the applicator that easily with soap and water. I am guessing is has some petroleum distillates in it. How do you wash the applicators and towels used to apply and buff off 845?

Post Thanks / Like

I use 845 in FL and have for many years. I get 3-6 months out of it depending on the customer's driving and storage conditions. Carnauba or any natural wax products don't last long down here at all. 845 does.

No problem down here liquifying it. Leave it in the sun for 2-3 mins.

I apply it THIN THIN THIN with my PC and a LC gold LSP pad. 15 mins and BAM...applied.

Sorry can't compare it to GG 3 in 1 (never used) but it clearly outlasts any of my other AIO products but none are ceramic products.

Never had it stain black trim (plastic, rubber etc.)

16. Thanks joebruin77 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joebruin77 View Post
    Thank you, everyone, for your very helpful replies. I noticed that 845 has a strong chemical smell and doesn't seem to rinse out of the applicator that easily with soap and water. I am guessing is has some petroleum distillates in it. How do you wash the applicators and towels used to apply and buff off 845?
    For the towels, I soaked them in water/APC solution and they seemed to be OK. As for the applicator, lets just say I now have a dedicated 845 pad for my DA. Never could get it out very well.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

18. Thanks joebruin77 thanked for this post
    Likes Paul A., PaulMys, DFB liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast