autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collinite 845: A couple questions

Like Nate, i clean my mf towels normally but after washing out my pad it goes back in the "845" plastic ziplock (after dry).

2. Thanks joebruin77 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    Like Nate, i clean my mf towels normally but after washing out my pad it goes back in the "845" plastic ziplock (after dry).
    Same here.

Washing out 845 or 476S from pads is damn near impossible. Which leads me to believe it is some tough sh!t. (It IS).

The advice about applying 845 thin is correct. But unless you are the worlds biggest ass-hat, and just spill half the bottle over the hood, you'll be fine. Just use common sense.

And lastly, temperature and humidity play a role in any kind of LSP application. But as I have posted before, I once was in a rush to remove 845 before it became too dark out. (I cut my time too short by trying to do too much in one day.)

The next morning, and to my initial horror, I discovered I had missed my entire tailgate. The 845 sat on there for about 12 hours.

Cursing myself, I went inside and grabbed about 6 wax removing towels ready for a fight.

But to my surprise, the 845 actually wiped off just as easy (if not easier) than normal. 2 minutes and done!

As other guys above have mentioned, the 845 gets me an easy 6 months here in NY.

I'll always be a Collinite fan.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

4. Likes Paul A., DFB, joebruin77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    I apply it THIN THIN THIN with my PC and a LC gold LSP pad. 15 mins and BAM...applied.
    Ya know, I considered using a buffer to apply it. Figuring how long it would take me to clean out the pad and how much wasted product would soak into the pad. I use a microfiber rectangle. A dollop on each corner and one in the middle, then rubbed together, will almost do a whole Corvette. These pads lay flat on the surface and spread product evenly.

I toss it in the wash to clean.

Collinite 845: A couple questions-microfibre-pad-jpg

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    Ya know, I considered using a buffer to apply it. Figuring how long it would take me to clean out the pad and how much wasted product would soak into the pad. I use a microfiber rectangle. A dollop on each corner and one in the middle, then rubbed together, will almost do a whole Corvette. These pads lay flat on the surface and spread product evenly.

I toss it in the wash to clean.

Collinite 845: A couple questions-microfibre-pad-jpg
    I use the good old yellow Meguire's 4" round foam applicators.

*Easy to get into tight spaces. (Fold when necessary)

*Once "primed" (about the first minute) they do not soak up any more product.

*JMO, but any time saved with a machine is lost when you have to either set it down to get into the tight areas, or go back over the vehicle to get into the tight areas. (Again......JMO).
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes John U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joebruin77 View Post
    Thank you, everyone, for your very helpful replies. I noticed that 845 has a strong chemical smell and doesn't seem to rinse out of the applicator that easily with soap and water. I am guessing is has some petroleum distillates in it. How do you wash the applicators and towels used to apply and buff off 845?
    I used a wax application pad on my machine to apply 845,with a small foam applicator for intricate areas. I soak the pad in a microfibre detergent for a few minutes before doing my best to rinse it out under running water. It then go's through a normal machine wash cycle with the same detergent. That pad then become dedicated to 845. The small foam applicator is binned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    I used a wax application pad on my machine to apply 845,with a small foam applicator for intricate areas.
    This is exactly what I did as well. I have a 5.5" black Lake Country Flat pad dedicated to 845 application. I found I could apply it thinner and more evenly with the DA than by hand. The speed and less effort to do the work is a side benefit.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

11. Likes DFB liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12