autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

First ever DA(7424xp) need advice on specific project!

Hey all, i browse here a lot, but don’t often post. But here i am, i finally took Mikes advice and got a good entry level DA! Porter 7424xp. My first job is i have some pretty significant scratching and such that covers a fair area of my car. I’m attaching pictures below.

Ill start by saying, the said scratches, can barely be felt by fingernail, and were caused by my desperation to remove some really stuck on asphalt type stuff that dried on) So i knowingly broke a rule and i used one of those dish sponges with the very mild abrasive side with little dots) i was in a hurry for reasons i won’t bore everyone with and underestimated the effects it would have. UC by hand multiple times removed a great deal but i knew this was my time for a machine.

I prefer meguiars, and have some 105/205 experience but only by hand. The M110 is still quite expensive here in Canada, while m85, m100 are very affordable) For a beginner, given the task at hand, opinions on which of the Meguiars Compounds and why would be more than appreciated.

Some spots will never be perfect imo due to the fact it appears previous owner sprayed paint over paint with very minimal prep work before doing so, but i’d like it as nice as can be of course. Also love to know if i’m kidding myself thinking i can clear these defects!

Sorry for the long post i’m working on suppressing my tendency to not condense things when i should, but it’s a work in progress. Thank you so much to anyone who does take the time to read this, and give me any advice (even if not relevant to specific task) I’ve yet to be steered wrong on this forum and appreciate desire people have to help folks like me who have the desire and willingness to learn but don’t necessarily have a teacher.

ps noticed image may not show up by normal
    means so added imgur link as well, my apologies.

Cheers
    Robbie McKane
    Proud Member of the Vancouver Film Industry as a whole.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First ever DA(7424xp) need advice on specific project!

Those scratches look pretty bad in the photos. If they can be removed, and I'm not sure they can, it's going to take a pretty aggressive process. The risk level of buffing through is also pretty high. Personally, I wouldn't expect to remove all of the scratches without understanding and accepting the associated risk.

That said, with the tools and products you have, PC/105/205, I'd start with the 105 and the most aggressive pad you have for the PC.

Compound and polish wise, the 105/205 combination are appropriate. If you can't get reasonable results with them, then you probably won't with anything else either.

Tool wise, the PC isn't the best choice but it should suffice with enough effort. Something more aggressive, like a rotary or gear-driven DA would be a better choice.

It's definitely going to take some judgement on your part as to how far to go and when to say enough is enough. I wouldn't realistically expect to remove all of the scratches by what I can see in the pics. Then again, pics can be deceiving... Maybe the scratches aren't as bad as they look.

3. Likes luckydawg, Rsurfer liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I mean i feel as if with UC i was able to remove some pretty nasty ones, im not being totally unreasonable they aren’t deep whatsoever. But my reason for going with PC is i want a good daily use machine, that’s easy to use, will remove defects, but has low risks associated with use. I took heed of Mikes advice on taking rotary buffers seriously. I like to lightly compound, or just purely polish and wax my cars fairly often and i love doing my family members for them! It’s not the end of the world if i can’t remove all the scratches so im just hoping for the best! ps im a bit fan of using Number 7 show care as part of my regiment, any experience with machine glaze? i feel they just really add that true shine to a vehicle single stage or not!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Those scratches look pretty bad in the photos. If they can be removed, and I'm not sure they can, it's going to take a pretty aggressive process. The risk level of buffing through is also pretty high. Personally, I wouldn't expect to remove all of the scratches without understanding and accepting the associated risk.

That said, with the tools and products you have, PC/105/205, I'd start with the 105 and the most aggressive pad you have for the PC.

Compound and polish wise, the 105/205 combination are appropriate. If you can't get reasonable results with them, then you probably won't with anything else either.

Tool wise, the PC isn't the best choice but it should suffice with enough effort. Something more aggressive, like a rotary or gear-driven DA would be a better choice.

It's definitely going to take some judgement on your part as to how far to go and when to say enough is enough. I wouldn't realistically expect to remove all of the scratches by what I can see in the pics. Then again, pics can be deceiving... Maybe the scratches aren't as bad as they look.
    Good advice!

6. Thanks 2black1s thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like the above poster said, the 105 / 205 combo is probably a good starting spot. Since you dont have a paint thickness gauge or know the paint history from new, I would do the first pass with the 105 (5- 6 section passes ) then see how it looks after the first go round with the 105. If it looks like you did some good , give it another go and see how it looks then, but I would not work it more than that with the 105. Then go over it with the 205 and a softer pad and call it a day.

Let us know how it turns out

8. Likes 2black1s liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robscoe View Post
    ... ps im a bit fan of using Number 7 show care as part of my regiment, any experience with machine glaze? i feel they just really add that true shine to a vehicle single stage or not!
    I used to use Meguiar's #3 Machine Glaze quite often on new paint jobs in my body shop days.

Like with the #7 Hand Glaze, I agree that those two products do produce a brilliant shine. But... I also think they are a wasted effort if you are going to be applying a wax or sealant afterwards. The gloss level of the glaze will be overshadowed by the gloss level of the wax or sealant.

The only real benefit to using a glaze prior to wax or sealant is to provide some masking/filling of very minor swirls. As far as gloss levels of the finished product, I don't think the glazes add anything. In almost all cases, the wax or sealant will kill any gloss that the glaze added.

Show cars are the exception... I used to prep show cars with glazes and nothing else.

Post Thanks / Like

Show cars are the exception... I used to prep show cars with glazes and nothing else.
    I know people who use it when the go to sell their vehicles

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to use Meguiar's #3 Machine Glaze quite often on new paint jobs in my body shop days.

Like with the #7 Hand Glaze, I agree that those two products do produce a brilliant shine. But... I also think they are a wasted effort if you are going to be applying a wax or sealant afterwards. The gloss level of the glaze will be overshadowed by the gloss level of the wax or sealant.

The only real benefit to using a glaze prior to wax or sealant is to provide some masking/filling of very minor swirls. As far as gloss levels of the finished product, I don't think the glazes add anything. In almost all cases, the wax or sealant will kill any gloss that the glaze added.

really?! dang i just LOVE that look, but left to the elements it wouldn’t last for any length of time at all. By the way thank you all for all of your input and measured approach at giving me advice. I am now at the least far better equipped from a procedural and knowledge standpoint so i am grateful. I also often feel anxious posting on certain auto forums but i feel as if here i can ask newbie questions and won’t be made to feel stupid for asking, it’s a relief there’s some toxic forums out there!

I’ve thought more and, well, i work 75 hour weeks and make good money, why not splurge on the m210 polish, does it go well with the 105? Seriously considering some p21s paste wax also as i LOVE paste wax as it makes me feel old school, my grandpa used paste only for 5 decades of owning a body shop.
    Last edited by Robscoe; 09-11-2021 at 07:13 PM. Reason: grammar

Post Thanks / Like

If you already have the 205- dont spend the $ on another bottle of polish, you dont need it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robscoe View Post
    really?! dang i just LOVE that look, but left to the elements it wouldn’t last for any length of time at all. By the way thank you all for all of your input and measured approach at giving me advice. I am now at the least far better equipped from a procedural and knowledge standpoint so i am grateful. I also often feel anxious posting on certain auto forums but i feel as if here i can ask newbie questions and won’t be made to feel stupid for asking, it’s a relief there’s some toxic forums out there!

I’ve thought more and, well, i work 75 hour weeks and make good money, why not splurge on the m210 polish, does it go well with the 105? Seriously considering some p21s paste wax also as i LOVE paste wax as it makes me feel old school, my grandpa used paste only for 5 decades of owning a body shop.
    Thanks and you are welcome. This forum is absolutely the least toxic and most helpful forum I've ever experienced. You came to the right place.

As for the 210...

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    If you already have the 205- dont spend the $ on another bottle of polish, you dont need it
    I agree. The 205 is fine. Buy some 210 after you run out of the 205.