autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Noob question on beading & water spots

I noticed this spotting on the hood of my truck this morning that I've never come across before after it rained. I've been using Opti-Seal and ONR the last 2 weeks. The beading with OS is average at best. I noticed the water does not leave the surface as quickly as better beading products, in this case HCD. Are these spots the results of the beads that just "sit" on the surface?

*Once the surface is dry after the morning dew is gone, you can't see them. Very superficial type spotting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noob question on beading & water spots

Decided to do a quick wash. Opti Seal is weak. Two coats to clean bare paint and it’s already beat after 3 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you use it as a drying aid or as a spray on/wipe off sealant?

Post Thanks / Like

I watched multiple videos on how to apply it. I ended up following Iyvan’s way using the OPT foam applicator it came with. Looked great. Went on relatively easy although grabby. First coat was on clean bare dry paint I then put a second layer on as a drying aid. 3 weeks later and it’s beat. I know it is not the strongest product out there, but I wanted to try it.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't mean to imply you did anything wrong, was just curious how you applied. I've used it both ways and it lasted longer than 3 weeks, but not by much. As a noob myself, it seems like the primary benefit is ease of use rather than outright performance or durability.

6. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh no sorry I didn’t mean to come across that way. I agree with you. Noob question on beading & water spots

Post Thanks / Like

I was excited about OptiSeal from all the reading I had done on it, but like you found it just didn't seem to last long nor have behavior that had me excited to use it over other products in my arsenal. I also think it's responsible for a bunch of my towels' diminished performance after using it as a drying aid. They're not kidding - water just disappears and it's super easy to use, but the towels I used had a notable decline in performance.

I do still use it for glass from time to time.

I quit ONR for rinseless washes after noticing the car seemed to accumulate more of a uniform road film vs other products also. This was just my experience.

9. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think OPC is my favorite product of theirs that I've tried.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for a side tangent from your original post -

I will say I like regular ONR at work. I'm a wrench, not a detailer, but I use it for cleaning switch gear/plain plastic on dashes - it really serves to melt off people funk from turn signal/wiper stalks without removing the white dye. I also use it for cleaning up underhood plastics after major repairs - leaves it looking fresh and cleaned, but not greasy.

I love ONR Wash and Wax for interior wood trim.

I never had luck like some do with using ONR as a glass cleaner - any time I'd use it for glass you would have these "ghost" patches when the glass was wet. You wouldn't see them dry, but I always worried that it would come back if there was any fog on the glass. A regular glass cleaner cuts those spots out no problem and I sleep much better knowing the glass is for sure clean.

I also use regular ONR at home for cleaning our hard floors (wood, linoleum, laminate, tile). Works great there.

Griot's has been my go to for I-just-want-this-to-work. It's fun to experiment, but nice to have your fallback.

12. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently done a rinseless water on my car, i could see lots of waterspots on my roof while i used my drying towel. After it was about 90% dry i got some 500gsm towels and finshed it off with carpro's ech20 cut 1:20. Done the trick. I don't stress over water spots too much though. From a distance i couldn't see them anymore. There might of been still some there...

Its difficult to really dial in a car outside IME. Am i have only limited days in a year. It rains alot here and we only have 3 mth summers tops. With usually moderate 3mth winters. -10 to +10 area Celsius the rest of the year.

14. Likes CleanIT liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast