autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claybar vs. Iron Remover 50/50 Test

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    That claying was among the easiest claying I’ve ever done. I initially wasn’t even going to take a picture of the claybar because there was nothing on it. I didn’t decide to take a pic of it until the right side of the hood turned purple. Hence why I took a picture of the claybar in my backyard.

There’s so many things in the detailing world that are overblown. Iron deposits causing marring during claying can officially be added to that list as far as I’m considered. If there wasn’t anything of note on that claybar, then how much marring could it have possibly caused?

Also keep in mind that the detailing world survived for years and years without the use of iron removers. It’s not until recent years that dedicated iron removers have been introduced. Paint seemed to survive just fine before they came along.
    The same might be said about clay. I've polished and waxed my vehicles long before the invention of the clay bar.

I may add that I rarely clay before polishing. The exception maybe because of paint overspray. Claying will take the bulk of the paint overspray off before polishing thus keeping my polishing pads cleaner, longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Valugard A-B-C is an alternative to claying/iron removal.

3. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Job Well Done Eldo!

Results are exactly as I would expect.

5. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

I never wanted to start WWIII
    I didn’t expect anyone to become upset over this. Lol.

7. Thanks noorth thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that claying should remove no problem. Claying has been going on for years with out it.

I believe the less contamination you drag across paint the less marring. But if doing before polishing my thoughts are iron contamination in clay isn’t going to mar clay any deeper than existing swirls and scratches.

Will I still use? Yes as i do so few cars so to add a few dollars to the cost of correcting is not an issue where I would stop doing. Maybe if i were doing production detailing.

I also think this a great product to use during a coating decon wash as you shouldn’t clay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I wouldn’t go as far as calling them crooks.. But if they can get people to buy things, then what’s the harm?
    Do you really need Grit Guards? Those things that go around your tires to prevent cords for getting stuck? Panel wipe when you can make it yourself?

Do I really need a quick detailer for chrome? No, but I choose to buy it anyways because I like to use it.

The list goes on and on…

Ultimately it’s up to you whether you want to buy it or not. I’ve seen some of the best detailers in the world and their setups are unbelievably simple.
    Lot of good points frankly man. I have no bone to pick with anyone but i'm far from passive.

I would never buy a grit guard for instance. I rather buy a few extra mitts.

Can't we all just get along?

I think i found my favorite pad yesterday.... again lol First it was rupes yellow foam, second was the orange SDO and now the blue SDO haha

The blue SDO pad worked great has a 1-step on my personal car. I will double check today if i should run over the bonnet quickly with 3D's ACA 520 and the rupes white foam. I will be coating it afterwards, i'm loving coatings so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Ric,

Have you ever tried Megs Iron Removing Spray Clay?

I don’t necessarily need the iron removing aspect of it but if there was something that would assist in dissolving the other contaminants that would be huge. I have very soft black paint and I just hate to use clay but if I have to then I have to!

JF

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prange View Post
    Valugard A-B-C is an alternative to claying/iron removal.
    Yeah,this is going to be my go-to. If the auto manufacturers recommend it then that's good enough for me

Too bad it appears involved to get it though.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I also think this a great product to use during a coating decon wash as you shouldn’t clay.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree with that statement.

Thanks eldo for the test...was interesting to see. Made me think about that whole part of the process. Ill still more thank likely use my nanoskin clay mitt b4 hand. It takes so little time to do. Not to mention on a highly neglected vehicle would definatly help to keep the pads from clogging up faster...i think so atleast.

Post Thanks / Like

Just for the record, I’m not saying I’m completely against iron removers. Just this morning while washing the rest of that Infinity I got to the roof where I was met with 1 of the grimiest panels I’ve seen in a long time. This makes me think this SUV must have sat outside for a while because it was nasty up there.

I knew I needed help to break it down, so I used the iron remover 1st.

Nice purple suds.

14. Likes noorth liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast