autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Claying question and iron remover

I want to clay my car before winter sets in and was wondering if I am going to clay it do I need to use an iron remover. I thought that is what claying was for.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claying question and iron remover

Quote Originally Posted by tasdisr View Post
    I want to clay my car before winter sets in and was wondering if I am going to clay it do I need to use an iron remover. I thought that is what claying was for.
    I used an iron remover last week on my fathers white rogue it was littered with these little rust spots which the iron remover turned purple and most where rinsed off but a few days prior to that i just used the clay, it took twice as long to get all the little rust spots off with clay only.

I detailed the car in sections. It was my first real good experience with an iron remover on paint work.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What iron remover did you use? I was thinking of trying Griots.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I used a brand that i don't think autogeek sells, i'm sure Griots would work. Carpro's ironx is another popular option.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve tried Griots, Gyeon, Meguiars ultimate wheel, CP Iron X, Eagle one black and plast dip and Black Fire.

All worked pretty much the same. The two tire cleaners (both iron color change) worked fine too. I now buy what’s on sale.

The Griots and BF are nice as they are gel’ish and seem to cling better. Don’t know if that’s better but i like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I use both products before paint correction. Iron Remover will help dissolve ferrous contaminants and the Clay Bar will help pull embedded contaminants from the paint surface.

BLACKFIRE Iron Remover

BLACKFIRE Poly Clay Fine Grade

Post Thanks / Like

Best practice is Iron remover first, then a tar remover on the lower sections rinse and then clay entire vehicle. Thats if you want that perfect prep for the surface, just remember this will pull any sealant or wax off the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    I used an iron remover last week on my fathers white rogue it was littered with these little rust spots which the iron remover turned purple and most where rinsed off but a few days prior to that i just used the clay, it took twice as long to get all the little rust spots off with clay only.

I detailed the car in sections. It was my first real good experience with an iron remover on paint work.
    So you’re saying the clay got all the rust spots off but took twice as long?

You also say the iron remover got the rust spots off and they rinsed away? Please clarify.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I found the iron remover really helped to remove this light looking rust spots. I assume its iron or something. T

They were all over certain sections of the car. I used a fine clay and they would come off relatively quickly but when i broke out the iron remover it certainty got rid of a lot of the little spots before i put the clay back on the paint.

I used iron remover on my blue car few times before and i never seen a difference only wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    I found the iron remover really helped to remove this light looking rust spots. I assume its iron or something. T

They were all over certain sections of the car. I used a fine clay and they would come off relatively quickly but when i broke out the iron remover it certainty got rid of a lot of the little spots before i put the clay back on the paint.

I used iron remover on my blue car few times before and i never seen a difference only wheels.
    Did you notice a difference with the iron remover in the sections you used the clay beforehand? Was there still iron that needed removing? Or had the clay pretty much removed it all?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast