autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

First polishing experience with the 3401

Hi,

I'm very new to the detailing world and just bought a Flex 3401 (dual action). Here's the paint under 2x 250w bulbs:

Here's what I bought:
    1x Flex 3401
    2x Grit Guard Bucket Insert
    1x Riccardo Clay Lubricant
    2x Lake Country CCS 6.5" Blue
    2x Lake Country CCS 6.5" Orange
    2x Lake Country CCS 6.5" White
    10x Tornado Buffing Towel
    2x 100% Sheepskin Mitt
    1x Poorboy's Super Slick & Suds Wash
    2x Snappy Clean Foam Pad Cleaner
    Trim tape

1x Riccardo Clay
    1x Menzerna SIP
    1x Menzerna Nano
    1x Poorboy's EX-P
    1x Poorboy's Natty Blue

I was wondering...
    1) With the SIP, what speed/pad should I start with? My initial plan was speed 5 and white pad, followed by speed 5 and orange pad if it doesn't work, followed by speed 6 and orange pad with slightly more pressure if it doesn't work.
    2) With the Nano, what speed/pad should I start with? My initial plan was speed 5 and white pad.
    3) What about the sealant & wax? With the 3401 or by hand?
    4) I saw some videos on youtube with the PC, they suggest making reallllly slow movements up-down-left-right to ensure that the polish breaks down. Since the 3401 is different, I guess the rule is also different? What's the optimal movement speed for each phase?

Thank you!
    Regards,
    Yan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First polishing experience with the 3401

1) With the SIP, what speed/pad should I start with? My initial plan was speed 5 and white pad, followed by speed 5 and orange pad if it doesn't work, followed by speed 6 and orange pad with slightly more pressure if it doesn't work.

I used the Flex last weekend and started at 2 on the dial to spread. Got the machine up to around 5 as a maximum. Your white pad start is a smart move although that pic shows some serious swirls.

2) With the Nano, what speed/pad should I start with? My initial plan was speed 5 and white pad.

Again 2 to start .... once polish worked in you can run almost up to the top speed to jewel the paint. Use a finishing pad as possible unless you used orange above, then white will be needed.

3) What about the sealant & wax? With the 3401 or by hand?

hand

4) I saw some videos on youtube with the PC, they suggest making reallllly slow movements up-down-left-right to ensure that the polish breaks down. Since the 3401 is different, I guess the rule is also different? What's the optimal movement speed for each phase?

you will still work small areas and overlap quite a bit, the Flex wants to get away at higher speeds so hold on tight.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First polishing experience with the 3401

Zoran I swear ... anything Flex and you immediately take note. (j/k)

The Flex at high speed can catch you off guard when working the top of the car or areas when two hands are not always usuable. Sometimes the Flex wants to jump/jut and "hold on tight" was a metaphor so it wouldnt cross the entire panel and go scooting down the trunk / hood or other paint items.