autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jescar and Sonax 2 stage…

Just getting started restoring Dads 2014 Mustang. Plan for Jescar Correcting Compound then Sonax Perfect Finish to prep for Gyeon Syncro. Someone with Jescar experience please tell me that these swirls are not too much for the Jescar with the Megs microfiber disc then Perfect Finish with Rupes yellow pad. Planning for test section this weekend. I planned on Gyeon compound and primer but read that they do not cut as well. Plus I have prior experience with the Jescar/Sonax combo.
    -a07b5402-e5e1-40b8-9a3d-d1fc9d60c896-jpg

2. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jescar and Sonax 2 stage…

Honestly I would start with a micro fiber pad and the Sonax perfect finish to cut. White is definitely always on the hard side but those year Mustangs are really nice to work with.
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

4. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

I second that suggestion because the swirls shown simply don’t look that bad and a test spot with Sonax and a Rupes yellow foam or even a Rupes yellow wool pad as a first try and as a last resort a MF pad might save you a bunch of clear coat

I have zero experience with the paint you are dealing with but I just finished correcting some horrible etchings on the hood of a 2020 Lexus whose paint was harder than I would have expected

I used the Jescar CC with Megs MF Cutting pad and Sonax PF with Rupes yellow foam

I tried a number of products and combinations before arriving at that pair

The Jescar cut the defects and everything else out with a 3 way section pass and the Sonax finished down nicely with a 4 way pass

There was almost no hazing or marring from the Jescar and on harder paint it would have been close to lsp ready

It’s a good combination just like some of the well know “pros” claim but it’s a pretty big gun that may not be needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have used that combo plenty of times & I think you are on the right track-- I dont get much cut with perfect finish.
    Try your test spots first - but I think your gonna need the Jescar

7. Likes chilly, dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    I have used that combo plenty of times & I think you are on the right track-- I dont get much cut with perfect finish.
    Try your test spots first - but I think your gonna need the Jescar
    Yup

It’s a potent and awesome combination

There’s a reason it is so recommended

I just always feel the need to tell people to slow their roll and not assume it’s the best starting point

The OP did say he’s used it before so my apologies if I stepped on anyone’s toes

9. Likes luckydawg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea-- Im not big on micro fiber- been a foam pad guy myself , the discontinued rupes green pads were my favorite pad followed by the yellow.
    The jesscar with the green followed by the yellow & perfect finish was a good combo for most of my paint corrections. Kind of warming up to the hybrid wool now that the rupes green is gone

11. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    Yea-- Im not big on micro fiber- been a foam pad guy myself , the discontinued rupes green pads were my favorite pad followed by the yellow.
    The jesscar with the green followed by the yellow & perfect finish was a good combo for most of my paint corrections. Kind of warming up to the hybrid wool now that the rupes green is gone
    I got a Rupes yellow wool as a freebie with a purchase and was really hesitant to use it

Visions of wool pads and rotaries haunted me

Big mistake

Turned into one of my favorite pads

Never tried the Rupes blue wool but would probably order a few to try when my MF cutting pads are on their last legs

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! Will do test spot this weekend, now I’m anxious to see what the Sonax can accomplish on its own!

14. Likes chilly liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Reporting back. Test section done on 1 square foot section of hood. Within my skill set I just could not get by with just the Sonax/Rupes Yellow. Very pleased with the Jescar/Sonax combo though. Kinda expected this as prior experience on my Focus ST with same paint but less swirls came out great with same combo.

Sorry I just could not get decent pics, but I believe the results are above 90%ile. The ultimate test on this car will be the door mirrors, yikes! In person they look much worse.

-9c7ad3c4-056f-408e-bc93-e35fadce7154-jpg-43cda9d7-52f2-4039-a7ee-8e303783f781-jpg

16. Likes chilly liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

-95d1b5c7-1588-4b92-91f2-a2a257bcbff4-jpg

18. Likes chilly liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast