autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Only Wiping Once Using QD/WW products

A lot of QD/WW products have directions that say
    • Step 1: spray the product (either on car or on towel directly)
    • Step 2: wipe with one side of the towel
    • Step 3: wipe with another side of the towel (or another towel)

However, in recent years I've seen microfiber towels that seem to pick up all the product after the first wipe, i.e. step 2 (At least it appears that way to me). Maybe this is from more GSM, or different microfiber construction, not sure.

Anyway, If the microfiber seems to leave the surface dry after one wipe, is there a need for the second wipe?

Related/spin off question: if the microfiber is leaving the surface dry after one wipe, then the second wipe is running a microfiber over a clean, dry surface. Can this induce marring? (I don't have a clean test panel on hand to wipe a dry MF over and inspect)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Only Wiping Once Using QD/WW products

My experience with QDs and WWs is that it takes more than a single wipe to ensure a streak free finish. Granted, 90% of my experience is on black vehicles. Other colors are much more forgiving.

That said, anytime you touch the paint you are certainly not removing swirls/marring and like Mike used to say when he was here, what's the opposite of removing? Instilling.

My recommendation is to wipe as much as necessary to achieve your objective, but don't continue to wipe just for the sake of wiping. Common sense and simple logic should help you decide on how much wiping is necessary.

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Only Wiping Once Using QD/WW products

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    My experience with QDs and WWs is that it takes more than a single wipe to ensure a streak free finish. Granted, 90% of my experience is on black vehicles. Other colors are much more forgiving.
    Eureka! I did not take car color into account. That could indeed be why one wipe often seems like enough to me these days.

That said, anytime you touch the paint you are certainly not removing swirls/marring and like Mike used to say when he was here, what's the opposite of removing? Instilling.
    Thats a great saying! I hope he still comes around and participates

My recommendation is to wipe as much as necessary to achieve your objective, but don't continue to wipe just for the sake of wiping. Common sense and simple logic should help you decide on how much wiping is necessary.
    Roger that.