autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How important is durability to you?

One of the biggest qualities in a product people seem to look for/obsess over is durability. Claims vary product to product depending on the product type and environmental conditions.

I wash my car at least 2-4x a month. After each wash, I refresh with whatever I'm using at the moment. My car is always protected. And with today's products, it couldn't be any easier.

Do you prefer the longevity of a coating, or are you content with just using waxes/sealants etc. with routine application to refresh?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How important is durability to you?

I wash every weekend in the summer months. Therapy after a long work week. I also top with wet wax after each wash. So my truck is always protected too. Durability is important. More so in the winter months. I do not use a coin op or auto wash in those months. I will wait till the temps break and do a traditional wash. So it's a toss up. You want stellar looks, but at the same time products that will last.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

3. Likes CleanIT, PaulMys, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel the same. I like the idea of the TW Wet Wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Durability only comes into play for me in winter months. During good weather I wash mine at least once every two weeks. Usually more often.

Finding a good strategy for winter once salt drops is tough. I don't have a sealed floor/walls in my garage to use a true sprayer wash and am way to chicken to use a WW as its truly intended to be used. I will attempt to heat my garage really hot with kero heater then quickly move the car out, wash and pull back in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcats98 View Post
    Durability only comes into play for me in winter months. During good weather I wash mine at least once every two weeks. Usually more often.

Finding a good strategy for winter once salt drops is tough. I don't have a sealed floor/walls in my garage to use a true sprayer wash and am way to chicken to use a WW as its truly intended to be used. I will attempt to heat my garage really hot with kero heater then quickly move the car out, wash and pull back in.
    I'm in the same boat. I'm in NJ and our winters aren't too bad. I can usually squeeze in a wash on one of the warmer days.

Post Thanks / Like

I was actually thinking about this last night when I was washing my car.

I prefer to put a good sealant/coating first for the protection so I know that the paint is protected, I do this about once every six months or sooner.

After the sealant/coating is laid down then I go after max shine or gloss after each wash or if I feel like it at that moment!

Case in point with my car, since my last facelift/polishing about 6 months ago (I think) I laid down a coat of WGDGPS and I was very pleased. Since then I’ve laid down a coat of 303 Graphene, couple of coats DoDo Juice Blue Velvet Wax, Pinnacle Liquid Souveran, DoDo Juice Red Mist and Future Armor, and last night I used Griots Best in Class just to give it a little more pop!

I think I’m a graduate of Roger aka Klasse school of “How Much Stuff Can I Put On My Car”!!

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

8. Likes CleanIT, fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Durability is very important to me.

- I need something which can survive going weeks/months between washings and offer at least 6~7 months between applicaitons in a cold/wet/salty environment. During the winter, it may only warm up enough to do a hand wash a couple of times, so the car only be touchless washed when it's warm enough. Even then, the car is in a semi-dirty state for extensive periods of time.

- Even in the warmer months, I don't want to be constantly re-applying my LSP. I like the freedom of only having to wash my vehicles for YEARS between coating applications. I'm able to schedule out major detailings of my vehicles to the point I only have to do one/two a year at most. I will have to admit the latest high-quality spray sealants these days are starting to eat away at my argument since they are so easy to apply and would easily get me through the warm months with only a couple applications.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Durability is very important to me.

- I need something which can survive going weeks/months between washings and offer at least 6~7 months between applicaitons in a cold/wet/salty environment. During the winter, it may only warm up enough to do a hand wash a couple of times, so the car only be touchless washed when it's warm enough. Even then, the car is in a semi-dirty state for extensive periods of time.

- Even in the warmer months, I don't want to be constantly re-applying my LSP. I like the freedom of only having to wash my vehicles for YEARS between coating applications. I'm able to schedule out major detailings of my vehicles to the point I only have to do one/two a year at most. I will have to admit the latest high-quality spray sealants these days are starting to eat away at my argument since they are so easy to apply and would easily get me through the warm months with only a couple applications.
    Makes sense in that case. Your winters are probably similar to ours here in NJ.

My thought process is if I can at the very least wash my car once a month, durability isn't too much of a concern. It takes 5 minutes to go around the car after its done re-applying LSP.

Post Thanks / Like

For sure. At my age, work smarter not harder. Once that base coat of TW Spray coating is on i am good to go. Just maintain it with the wet wax after each wash. Have to dry the truck anyway. Takes no effort with max. results. This combo got me thru the last PA winter with great results. Come spring i do the 3-step.

1. TW P & W
    2. Spray coating
    3. Wet wax to maintain

Like Mike used to say, "Find something you like and use it often!"
    2018 Colorado ZR2

12. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    Makes sense in that case. Your winters are probably similar to ours here in NJ.

My thought process is if I can at the very least wash my car once a month, durability isn't too much of a concern. It takes 5 minutes to go around the car after its done re-applying LSP.
    Do you have a heated garage?

My problem is since I only hand wash 1~2 times a winter, the car is never clean enough to apply an additional layer of LSP. Touchless car washes don't get a vehicle clean enough. The other problem is temperature. I don't have a heated garage and found when temps are in the 30's F (or much lower) products don't apply very well/easily. They are streaky/smeary and hard to buff off.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

14. Likes CleanIT liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast