autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes Recommended Method for Pad Priming

BigFoot 101: Priming Pads [Chapter 03] - Bing video (Jump to 2:50 minute mark)

Does anyone else see this pad priming process as unnecessarily risky? I certainly do!

I would never, ever, under any circumstance, press down on a polisher in a single location for 20-30 seconds as shown in the linked video.

I cut my teeth with rotary polishers in the late 1960s so my opinion may differ from those of you who learned with Random Orbital Polishers. While I completely understand that Random Orbital Polishers are less aggressive and much more forgiving than a Rotary Polisher, I can't see myself ever running ANY polisher in a single location for that period of time.

Keeping a polisher moving at all times is something I learned a very long time ago and that practice is something I still employ, regardless of polisher type.

If I were ever to use this Rupes recommended method to prime a pad, I'd have to have a dedicated scrap panel to use for pad priming. I could never bring myself to doing that process on a car I was polishing.

What do you guys and girls think?

2. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Recommended Method for Pad Priming

Nope don’t see it as risky. Have done it many times. The tool is set to a low speed anyway. I believe they mention speed 2 or 3.

4. Thanks 2black1s thanked for this post
    Likes luckydawg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree 100% and find that priming method to be absolutley utterly unnecessary, risky and over the top..... Honestly kinda silly.....

Put product on your pad and make your section passes.... boom, done, pad primed.
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

6. Likes 2black1s, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To each his own, but I would never do that to prime a pad.

Like 98CTA said, just apply the initial amount of product and get to work. Done.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes 2black1s liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While on the subject of pad priming does anyone have any insights or comments on Todd Cooperider of Esoteric and his statement that pad priming is totally unnecessary when using "good products"?

I am specifically referring to him talking about using Megs microfiber cutting pads with Jescar Correcting Compound

He says 3 dots of product and go to work, no priming required

I tried that ONCE and it felt sooooooo wrong

Look up "dry buffing" and there is a picture of me trying that process (well not really)

I know people will use a ton to prime a microfiber pad, blot, brush, or blow out the excess and then put 3 more dots down for actual cutting and I feel that is overkill in the opposite direction

I will use maybe 50% more than I normally would for a section pass to smear in to prime and then a couple dots more

There are a lot of YouTube detailing people who are entertaining but who I certainly don't take advice from but Todd has always seemed to be one of the most genuine and believable people out there

IDK...

Post Thanks / Like

I usually prime microfiber pads just because it makes the initial pass much smoother.

As far as prime vs non and the way a quality product finishes down I usually get slightly more micro maring when not priming for the first couple sections.
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

11. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    While on the subject of pad priming does anyone have any insights or comments on Todd Cooperider of Esoteric and his statement that pad priming is totally unnecessary when using "good products"?

I am specifically referring to him talking about using Megs microfiber cutting pads with Jescar Correcting Compound

He says 3 dots of product and go to work, no priming required

I tried that ONCE and it felt sooooooo wrong

Look up "dry buffing" and there is a picture of me trying that process (well not really)

I know people will use a ton to prime a microfiber pad, blot, brush, or blow out the excess and then put 3 more dots down for actual cutting and I feel that is overkill in the opposite direction

I will use maybe 50% more than I normally would for a section pass to smear in to prime and then a couple dots more

There are a lot of YouTube detailing people who are entertaining but who I certainly don't take advice from but Todd has always seemed to be one of the most genuine and believable people out there

IDK...
    No way.

I read that "3 dot method" as well before I ever machine polished. Even knowing next to nothing, that seemed wrong. (And it is.)

Learning the correct amount of product to prime with takes a little practice, but it's not difficult. What pads, products, paint, and even weather conditions can be a factors. But don't overthink it.

I always start with a nice, generous circle of product on a new (foam) pad, and then I quickly spread it out on low speed. Then, ramp the speed up and go.

IMO, starting with too little or too much product is no huge deal. One will get you a little micro-marring, and one will prematurely clog the pad and not cut as well/heat up.

If you know what you are trying to achieve, and correct either problem soon after starting, it's nothing to worry about. But 3 dots?? Nope!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

13. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think it’s too risky at speed 2 like they recommend but I’ve never done it myself. I don’t prime foam pads anymore, I just put a little more product on the first go. I do prime microfiber pads though.
    Bruno Soares

15. Likes PaulMys, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback

It felt wrong to me as well

To each his own but I’ll prime microfiber pads

I’m just a retired guy in his garage so time is not money and a few more ounces of product per car won’t break me

Regards Everyone

Michael

Post Thanks / Like

PS

Apologies for the hijack

I totally agree with the OP concerning Rupes method of priming

It flies in the face of everything I was ever taught about using an orbital

That bit of the video stuck in my mind when I watched it and honestly caused me to immediately be suspicious of the rest of the content

Again, to each his own but I will keep my pad moving thank you very much

18. Likes 2black1s liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast