autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Recommended Method for Pad Priming

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    I am still on the side that the manufacturer of these pads/ products knows what they are doing- they would not tell us to do something that was THAT STUPID as a lot of folks think. Do you think when those tech reps there were first told by the enginering dept/ product development dept thats how to do it they weren't apprenhensive about it also?-- bet they were. Does any one think that this method was not tested out SKADS & SKADS of times prior to it being the approved procedure ? No doubt they tested this out and had BIG time testing instruments that cost more $ than any tools we use ( except our eyes mostly ) . They are using THEIR liquids also. Bottom line ( at least for me ) I am gonna follow instructions. But all that really matters in the end is what you feel comfortable doing, and if that gets the results your after--- well keep doing that!

But then you'll never know what you could be missing
    Yeah, but as a mechanic, I've been listening to engineers my entire life. If I had a dollar for every time they were wrong, I could afford to pay my numerous Rupes repair bills......
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

2. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard it was a mechanic who came up with the idea
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard it was a mechanic who came up with the idea
    You heard wrong, palm tree hugger............
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Likes luckydawg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am still on the side that the manufacturer of these pads/ products knows what they are doing- they would not tell us to do something that was THAT STUPID as a lot of folks think. Do you think when those tech reps there were first told by the enginering dept/ product development dept thats how to do it they weren't apprenhensive about it also?-- bet they were. Does any one think that this method was not tested out SKADS & SKADS of times prior to it being the approved procedure ? No doubt they tested this out and had BIG time testing instruments that cost more $ than any tools we use ( except our eyes mostly ) . They are using THEIR liquids also. Bottom line ( at least for me ) I am gonna follow instructions. But all that really matters in the end is what you feel comfortable doing, and if that gets the results your after--- well keep doing that!

But then you'll never know what you could be missing
    Following instructions is always a good starting point, but if there is something in those instructions that doesn't make sense to you, you would be foolish not to question it. Blindly following (anything or anyone) is not in my nature. It's gotta make sense to me and if it doesn't, I'm not buying it. Of course, there can be exceptions, but generally speaking, that is my philosophy.

In this case, I kinda liked the premise of priming the pad as shown although I would never do it on a painted surface of a car I was working on... There is absolutely not a chance in hell that I would voluntarily run a polisher in a single location for 20-30 seconds without moving it on anything other than a disposable surface, and certainly not on the hood of anything I was polishing. That is the part I questioned.

I look at the tool I made as a process improvement to the Rupes process. I can now use their method to prime my pads when I feel like it, while at the same time eliminating the part of their process that didn't make sense to me.

8. Likes chilly, oneheadlite, SNP209, PaulMys liked this post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456