autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Recommended Method for Pad Priming

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    Existing hidden damage must be a nightmare for the pros

You can go around a car 19 times with a magnifying glass and a bloodhound and the minute you actually start working you almost always find a “gotcha”

Rupes Recommended Method for Pad Priming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bigtime. And how are you really supposed to find flaws when the vehicle is in this condition during the pre inspection?

2. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Bigtime. And how are you really supposed to find flaws when the vehicle is in this condition during the pre inspection?

Seriously

The clear coat could be completely failed under something that awful and you would never know

Then it’s “it wasn’t like that when I brought it in”

Sheesh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    ... As long as you or the customer are happy, what the detailer down the street thinks, doesn't even matter.
    Amen!

5. Likes chilly, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You shouldn’t have been surprised… What did the Meguiars Asia dudes tell you? SPEED 4.

You went against the word of the gospel and got a Rude Awakening.Rupes Recommended Method for Pad Priminglol.
    Lol!!

I never saw those videos before that. I was barely on this forum. I was on the Megs forum on 06 or 07, and Autopia in 07.

Meh, da, what can this thing do....

Oh boy...

7. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    I bet that was a sobering moment…

Fingers crossed I never go through that

You'll probably be ok. I was trying to polish something without realizing that more polishing was causing the problem!

9. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had at least 5-6 sobering moments, but somehow, by the grace of God, and a sprinkling of sheer luck I’ve somehow managed to escape Scott free each time they’ve happened.Rupes Recommended Method for Pad Priming

Just a couple of weeks ago, I was polishing the door on a Nissan Armada when the freaking chrome door handle flew off, landing in my neighbors yard… Everything turned into slow motion as I immediately turned my polisher off thinking “well holy crap, this is Horrible”!
    Luckily, somehow…. I was able to put the door handle back on the door. It didn’t snap back on, but it didn’t fall back off either… Whew!

Needless to say I didn’t come near that spot with the polisher anymore. I’ve gotten lucky several times and all I can say is thank you to the little angel watching over me during those times.Rupes Recommended Method for Pad Priming
    Yes, just this week polishing that Mercedes S550. The drivers side upper door molding got squirrelly when the pad got too close!

11. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s where you’d have to require a wash before you’re able to give a quote. And setup a camera of you washing the car to protect you. You might lose some customers that way but some you might want to lose anyway if the car is that bad or the owner really doesn’t care.

13. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    That’s where you’d have to require a wash before you’re able to give a quote. And setup a camera of you washing the car to protect you. You might lose some customers that way but some you might want to lose anyway if the car is that bad or the owner really doesn’t care.
    CYA....

Sadly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    BigFoot 101: Priming Pads [Chapter 03] - Bing video (Jump to 2:50 minute mark)

Does anyone else see this pad priming process as unnecessarily risky? I certainly do!

I would never, ever, under any circumstance, press down on a polisher in a single location for 20-30 seconds as shown in the linked video.

I cut my teeth with rotary polishers in the late 1960s so my opinion may differ from those of you who learned with Random Orbital Polishers. While I completely understand that Random Orbital Polishers are less aggressive and much more forgiving than a Rotary Polisher, I can't see myself ever running ANY polisher in a single location for that period of time.

Keeping a polisher moving at all times is something I learned a very long time ago and that practice is something I still employ, regardless of polisher type.

If I were ever to use this Rupes recommended method to prime a pad, I'd have to have a dedicated scrap panel to use for pad priming. I could never bring myself to doing that process on a car I was polishing.

What do you guys and girls think?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I could see priming the pad on a window, or a scrap panel like I mentioned in the original post. Other than that, no way am I running the polisher in a stationary position for 20-30 seconds as depicted. Doing so is contrary to everything I have learned since my first use of a polisher in the late 1960s.
    Yesterday I was looking for some "busy" work to pass a little time as I had a few hours of nothing to do. So... I went out to the woodshop and whipped up a pad priming tool out of some MDF and 1/4" glass plate.

Now I can try the Rupes priming method. As I said in my previous posts, I would never use this method on my own vehicles, or a customer's vehicle, especially on the paint. With this tool I can now try the Rupes method without any risk to whatever I'm working on.

I don't know how much I'll ever use the tool, but I'm going to give it a shot this week when I detail my daughter's car. We'll see how it goes.

Rupes Recommended Method for Pad Priming-20230114_130713resized-jpg Rupes Recommended Method for Pad Priming-20230114_131516resized-jpg

16. Likes Bruno Soares, PaulMys, chilly, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am still on the side that the manufacturer of these pads/ products knows what they are doing- they would not tell us to do something that was THAT STUPID as a lot of folks think. Do you think when those tech reps there were first told by the enginering dept/ product development dept thats how to do it they weren't apprenhensive about it also?-- bet they were. Does any one think that this method was not tested out SKADS & SKADS of times prior to it being the approved procedure ? No doubt they tested this out and had BIG time testing instruments that cost more $ than any tools we use ( except our eyes mostly ) . They are using THEIR liquids also. Bottom line ( at least for me ) I am gonna follow instructions. But all that really matters in the end is what you feel comfortable doing, and if that gets the results your after--- well keep doing that!

But then you'll never know what you could be missing
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

18. Likes chilly, PaulMys liked this post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast