autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tornador: Just get the good one?

Looking to hear from folks who have played around on either side of this:

I've been thinking about getting a Tornador Black and the Velocity Vac attachment for a while now. Been wanting to do a reset of the carpets in both cars, and it seems like this setup would work great for loosening and extracting dirt/sand before applying any liquids for cleaning.

The other use that really has this on my radar would be for my work. I do car repair, not detailing, but after doing large repairs underhood I do like to "touch it up a bit" so the next time the customer opens the hood they can see their car was worked on by someone who cares.
    My approach recently has been to mist the underhood plastics with ONR @ rinseless ratio, then blow it off with compressed air. The liquid lifts the dirt, then the air helps blast it away (especially helps for corrugated hoses, nooks and crannies, etc). Then I do a final wipe with a misted microfiber and call it good.

It's very clear nearly all of the cars I work on are essentially appliances for the owners, but the 'Geek in me can't help but try to help it look at least a little better. I've gotten a couple call backs from folks that have actually noticed and let me know they appreciated how nice it looked. I don't go deep dive and do the whole underhood (fender lips, painted areas, etc), but it's amazing the visual difference just cleaning up the plastics makes.

Given that what I'm doing technically is extra credit and has been working pretty well, it's been a bit tough to justify the couple hundred bucks to get the Tornador and attachment. I haven't been buying a ton of tools for work lately (being in the industry 20+ years helps on that front), so it's not the end of the world; but it does feel more like a splurge than getting a tool I need to do my job well.

What I was wondering:

Folks with the Tornador - How's it been? What uses have you found for it / how often do you reach for it?

The other thing that briefly flashed through my mind - there are a ton of clones out there that you can get for like $40. Anyone try these? I definitely wouldn't expect Tornador build quality/reliability, but it could act as a gateway drug to see if I like that approach over what I was doing. Not sure if the Velocity Vac attachment would work with a copy though. I probably won't go this route as it doesn't feel right to support someone just knocking off a company that's done the research/design.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tornador: Just get the good one?

Love mine. I bought two units. One black set up as a blower, the other I mounted the Velocity Vac on and I do use them both regularly when doing interiors and engines, etc.

Do you have your compressor already? If so, pop up a few details on it.

In terms of modifications to them, get a nice pressure gauge/regulator combo and a swivel. I got these at Lowes Hardware. The swivel will allow for easier use in the driver side pedal area and also allow for you to set it down upright when the dispensing bottle is attached to it. The regulator is nice as I have my compressor set up to output 120PSI but at the gun, it's as per its recommendation, I never go above 90. There are other tools I use often and I just like to have a regulator on some of them, both of these included.

In terms of use, I use the velocity vac a lot. A must before steam extractions. I also use the black with either water or a light enzyme solution or even a rinse agent for pre-treatment around pedals or for tough stains. Works great around trim work or tight spaces the wand for my extractor can't easily do too. I use it with water under the hood and in door jambs or liftgates. Just be careful if there are joints or areas of loose paint.

Care wise, I never use anything too far from nuetral. Always rinse it through with plain water afterwards. Buy a large can of WD-40 as that's the best lube/cleaner for the roller bearing set. I clean my like my guns, after every.single.use and lube those roller sets up. I bought extra parts, nearly all of them to have on-hand. Haven't replaced too much outside some of the clear tips for the Velocity Vac.

In the end the best thing I can say is that it's yet another tool. It's not like I couldn't live without it but it certainly makes short order of a lot of things. Floor mats too. I blast those out dry with the black but just make sure you use a mask/respirator and do it outside away from your open widows and clean cars You'll be amazed how much dirt it gets out. Once I blast them out I can power wash and extract them.

Hope all that helps.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

3. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Love mine. I bought two units. One black set up as a blower, the other I mounted the Velocity Vac on and I do use them both regularly when doing interiors and engines, etc.

Do you have your compressor already? If so, pop up a few details on it.
    I don't have a compressor at home, so I'd only use it at work. Our compressor is a 120 gallon unit, not sure the flow. Our line pressure is 140psi, but each hose reel has a regulator so I could dial it down there.

In terms of modifications to them, get a nice pressure gauge/regulator combo and a swivel. I got these at Lowes Hardware. The swivel will allow for easier use in the driver side pedal area and also allow for you to set it down upright when the dispensing bottle is attached to it. The regulator is nice as I have my compressor set up to output 120PSI but at the gun, it's as per its recommendation, I never go above 90. There are other tools I use often and I just like to have a regulator on some of them, both of these included.
    Good call on the swivel. I just dug through my side cabinet and found an old whip hose with swivel I used to use on my 1/4" air ratchet (from the pre-electric days).

In terms of use, I use the velocity vac a lot. A must before steam extractions. I also use the black with either water or a light enzyme solution or even a rinse agent for pre-treatment around pedals or for tough stains. Works great around trim work or tight spaces the wand for my extractor can't easily do too. I use it with water under the hood and in door jambs or liftgates. Just be careful if there are joints or areas of loose paint.

Care wise, I never use anything too far from nuetral. Always rinse it through with plain water afterwards. Buy a large can of WD-40 as that's the best lube/cleaner for the roller bearing set. I clean my like my guns, after every.single.use and lube those roller sets up. I bought extra parts, nearly all of them to have on-hand. Haven't replaced too much outside some of the clear tips for the Velocity Vac.

In the end the best thing I can say is that it's yet another tool. It's not like I couldn't live without it but it certainly makes short order of a lot of things. Floor mats too. I blast those out dry with the black but just make sure you use a mask/respirator and do it outside away from your open widows and clean cars You'll be amazed how much dirt it gets out. Once I blast them out I can power wash and extract them.

Hope all that helps.
    Huge help! I remember you mentioning the respirator, so that was definitely something I was going to look into as well. What are you using for cartridges?

I'll probably mostly use it with the ONR mix I've been using, that's been working well for me. Could definitely see playing with some mild cleaners like you mention for interior use.

Are they pretty quick and easy to lube after you use them?

Post Thanks / Like

I keep waiting for the Tornador Max that was announced but doesn’t look like it’s coming out anytime soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I have my eye on the "Basic" version of the Tornador.

I don't feel like I need or want the chemical dispensing aspect, I mainly want one for cleaning carpet mats and polishing pads. Would I get value out of this or should I just get the Classic or Black for more versatility?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    I have my eye on the "Basic" version of the Tornador.

I don't feel like I need or want the chemical dispensing aspect, I mainly want one for cleaning carpet mats and polishing pads. Would I get value out of this or should I just get the Classic or Black for more versatility?
    I own one of these and love it/ Really removes deep down dirt

8. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sleper View Post
    I own one of these and love it/ Really removes deep down dirt
    Excellent, just ordered one.

Post Thanks / Like

Both are great. As TTQ B4U said, just make sure the pressure is regulated and clean often. I kind of treat mine like my hvlp guns.

11. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

do they have anything that blows like a Tornador and sucks like a shop vac in unison?
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farmallluvr View Post
    do they have anything that blows like a Tornador and sucks like a shop vac in unison?
    Yes, but her phone# is unlisted..................
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast