autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint decon and polish on my 2021 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    As far as staining with IronX, just don’t use it in direct/hot sunlight and let it dwell until it dries and you’ll be fine. For sh!ts and giggles, spray on a section of your car to see if you even get any reaction then proceed accordingly. Claying will mar your paint. While Essence is an awesome product, especially when topped with UK3.0 ( believe I posted pictures as well with this combo) it will undoubtedly not remove the marring with a black pad. Will need at least some sort of polishing pad paired with Essence.
    I agree with just about all of this.^

I’m a believer that one could survive without marring the paint during claying, but it depends on several factors so I’d kind of lean with him in this situation especially considering the vehicle is white.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m always a fan of chemical decontamination over claying if possible. To clay without marring is quite tedious. The only way I know how to do it is to work the clay literally inches at a time and using PLENTY of pieces. It takes a real long time to do a whole car to say the least.

If the chemical can do the decontamination,that would be so much better not mention that it gets deep into the pores of the paint while clay does not.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input everyone! Any recommendations for an iron remover, and light polishing pad?
    Thinking about the adams iron out, since i really like their wheel cleaner
    Also I know the rupes yellow pad was recommended, would that be the Fine yellow pad?

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose its worth asking, would the iron remover even work with the car having the griots ceramic currently applied?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 04lss View Post
    Thanks for all the input everyone! Any recommendations for an iron remover, and light polishing pad?
    Thinking about the adams iron out, since i really like their wheel cleaner
    Also I know the rupes yellow pad was recommended, would that be the Fine yellow pad?
    Send me an address and I’ll send you a couple Rupes Yellow pads.

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use essence quite a bit with a black pad, I have absolutely no problem as I have no marring. You will find plenty of use with your black pad once your paint is in the satisfactory class. A great topper over essence is reload, and an even easier but still effective topper is car Pro elixir. Google both of them in the store. I use elixir and I’m super happy with it. This is my 16 Camaro with Essence and reload.
    Paint decon and polish on my 2021 camaro-cb3b59d5-949f-4815-b28f-56cad7aeb121-jpeg
    Glen -

8. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input everyone!
    Any recommendations for an iron remover…?
    Give SONAX Fallout Cleaner a try.

It makes short work out of removing
    iron deposits…as well as other man-
    made and environmental contaminates.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

First, the products i plan to use:

Griots synthetic clay, lubricated with wolfgangs waterless wash diluted to what the bottle suggests for clay lube
    My hope is that this will remove the iron and rail dust (Id like to avoid using iron x if i can)
    Unfortunately clay will not remove iron fallout. It will "shave" the tops of it but the imbedded parts will still be in the paint. Get yourself any iron remover as they all do the same thing. It won't melt off your paint. Just keep it away from plastics like the cowl to avoid the potential to stain.

Can't speak for those other products as I have not used those for claying.

1. I have applied griots garage 3 in 1 ceramic spray wax to the car. Will the clay bar remove this? Do i need a strip wash or some other step to get the paint ready for claying?
    If you plan to polish no need to focus on "stripping" anything off. An abrasive polish plus the mechanical action of the polisher will do the work for you. Also the cut of the pad. You could always add a little APC into your wash if you want to increase its cleaning ability.

2. any tips for working with the essence? Ive read it doesnt like being worked to hard or being heated up. I figure half a panel and let it (and myself) cool down
    You most certainly can use it by hand. It does not need to be worked forever as it will dust. Be sure to work it until it breaks down or it will leave some residue that needs to be zipped over quickly to completely remove it.

Head over to CarPro US and read the FAQ's on the product.

5 - How does it work if you use it between the paint and CQUARTZ?

It bonds to the paint, the CQUARTZ bonds to it and merges. The SiO2/resin in it are heat activated by the machine polishing process. If using by hand or in very cold temps you should Eraser the vehicle before coating.

8 - What if I leave a spot that seems like the Essence stuck to it?
    Simply apply a dot of Essence on the area, run over it with fast arm speed, and immediately wipe off the residue. It may simply wipe off with a suede and a dot of Essence as well.

3. I understand that the essence leaves some SIO2 on the paint as a base layer of protection. Can I put a caranuba wax over top of this? I know ive done this in the past with things like Klasse but the SIO2 is a different animal (for that matter can i wax over top of the griots spray wax?)
    There is a misconception that Essence is an AIO (all in one). It is finishing polish that will deposit a layer of silica that will "prime" the surface for a coating. Essence is actually hydrophilic in nature. It will fill in minor defects. You can apply ay product you like over it. It is not biased on what product is used over it. Head over to CarPro US and read the FAQ's on the product.

6 - So, if this has SiO2 quartz protection inside it why are you guys telling me to top it with Reload or CQUARTZ?

Great question! The protection is there as we stated BUT the contact angle of the water beads and the dirt repellency is not very good/not on par with Reload or CQUARTZ.

4. any suggestions for a coating or wax that will give me a lot of depth to the white paint? Im hoping the polish helps here as my camaro just looks kinda shallow next to my s4 paint.
    The paint is white. Don't expect it to pop like a dark colored paint. White will appear brighter and in the right light it will be glossy. Any polish will achieve that. The questions is are you ready to step into the realm of a true coating or stick with a sealant or wax. There are pros ad cos to each product. So what are you really looking for here?

24 - Does this have to be used with CQUARTZ or Reload or can I use something else as a LSP or do I even need to worry about using a LSP?

We believe you can use a lot of different LSP that work well with this. We haven't tested others products with it so not positive the results but that is our estimate. I would wait a bare minimum of an hour if applying a sealant or wax with high solvent content in it. You might test that further before doing an entire car to see if an hour is enough. I know one of our friends is planning on moving to Essence as their prep for their high grade Carnauba Wax service. After they have tested thoroughly I will try to remember to update here. Also see Q&A # 3.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately ill probably be working outside, though i do have a canopy i can setup. (apartment living)

I thought the griots (non boss) black pads had light cut, that the red pads were the ones that had 0 cut.

(per griots): "When used with polishes and sealants, this pad removes fine swirls, scratches, and light defects on the most delicate paint finishes."
    Try those pads if you already have them. Test spot to see if you get desired protection and spray with water to check water behavior to see if 3-1 removed.

I live near Griots HQ in WA and when i was down their I saw someone mention the same about light cut and swirl removal. Mighta been with one of their correcting creams which are amazing.

If those don’t work I rock the BOSS orange and yellow pads and they’ve been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input! I orderd a Rupes Yellow pad or polishing duty and two bottles of adams iron out.

So my revised steps are:

1. wash

2. Iron Out

3. Clay

4. Polish with yellow rupes pads / Griots black pads

5. apply some caranuba wax

I plan to ceramic the car once the caranuba wax stops beading probably in september, but for now, im going for maximum aesthetic over protection since its new to me. I prefer the wet look of a good caranuba.

The question is, should i add in a step of polish with m205 on a yellow pad after the clay, or will the essence handle any of the clay marring with the yellow pad?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast