autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tar on velour floor mats

Hey guys,

Tried to find the best solution possible but most of the threads here were quite dated.
    So to the question - heatwaves, summer, sea and asphalt / tar on the shoes of the passenger ,which then transferred to the floor mat, and it being brown is kinda noticeable.

The damage is not big , just two spots of about an inch, but still I want to remove it as soon as it's fresh. I checked with some local detailers and here's what they offered:

1) Gyeon Tar - however I don't want to start with something aggressive petroleum based
    2) Steamer - heating I think is more applicable to chewing gum, not sure if it would be good for removing tar or it might spread the stain
    3) Bio Tar remover ( citrus / soy basis) - this looks like the best option to me, not that aggressive

The guy I detailed my car suggests the least aggressive - steamer first, but the Bio Tar remover recommended by another shop sounds like the best option. I have searched through the threads here and some mentioned WD40 and then APC, but WD40 also sounds a bit aggressive. Others said vegetable oil, but that might leave another stain

It's not a big issue, new floor mats are always an option but those are just 4 months old and I don't want to spend 150$ for OEM ones , especially when the other 3 are in perfect condition. I'd rather pay the shop to fix it and spend the rest on rubber ones , I wish I had bought those earlier, well ... lesson learned.

Most thread I found here were regarding chewing gum and tar removers for the outside.

So mostly curious what do you think on the steamer option, might try it first just because this is the shop I always visit, but doesn't seem like they have experience with this. It might spread even more once heated.
    Probably better to check with the Bio remover as the guys there said they have tried it before with good results.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tar on velour floor mats

I would try ice and a razor blade..gently scrape as much tar before using a cleaner. This will reduce the amount of spread to the surrounding area.

3. Likes Bobh59, Prange, DUBL0WS6 liked this post