autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mess Left After Tinting

I recently had my 2020 Lexus UX250h F Sport windows tinted by the most recommended and reputable tinting shop in Honolulu. The mess they left behind was unexpected. I assume they use a soap/water solution of some kind as a "slip agent" and spray it on liberally. The issue is the amount of solution that ran down the door panels and the surrounding plastic interior trim that wasn't removed. After picking up the car it had to immediately go to a barge company to be sent to my island and I had waited a month and a half for the booking so taking the car back and demanding they clean it up wasn't an option. Once I got it home I tried my normal P&S Express at 1:1 and it didn't touch many of the drips and streaks so I tried it straight. That helped but once I finished my interior wipe down and put on 303 the door panels and corners of the dash that had been affected I got horrible blotchy patches. I have found the interior materials on this Lexus to kind of finicky and very easily marred so I am very hesitant to go crazy with a stronger APC solution and a stronger media.

Anyone have any suggestions or run into something similar?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mess Left After Tinting

I don't have any suggestions, but I like your Avatar and user name.

Post Thanks / Like

Well thanks for that and I am sure you are also impressed with the fact I joined in 2006 and have a whopping 8 posts to my credit...

lol

Now that I am full time in Hawaii I wonder if the name and avatar need to change?

Nah, it will keep folks guessing

Have a great day!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Damn that sucks! I’d be so upset. Not that it’s going to fix anything but did you document the staining and contact the tint shop? Also what products do you have at your disposal and what’s available (not crazy expensive to ship to HI?) Don’t want to recommend something and it’s difficult to get or the price is just obnoxious.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input

I took pics of the mess but honestly starting a pie fight with the tint shop was going to be a waste of time since the car wasn't going to be around for them to take a look at

For products I have the P&S Express I mentioned, OPC straight and 5:1, and Superclean but I don't ever think of that as an interior cleaner

There is a VERY limited supply of chemicals locally but Amazon is a click away so any suggestions will be appreciated

To compound the problem the car sat for over a month in the lot of the barge company that brought it from Alaska to Honolulu and I swear it cooked the dash

I left a windshield cover in the front seat but have no idea if they used it or not as it wasn't in place when they brought the car for me to inspect

And on a totally different subject after the car was barged from Honolulu to Molokai it was completely encrusted with salt and I have some significant etching on the hood that I have to deal with

Totally bizarre that it's just the hood and I am wondering what could have possibly been on the hood to interact with the salt in that location only

I will be posting that up as a separate thread because I need help with the correction

This poor car has had a hard life and it's only 9 months old

Post Thanks / Like

Ah man that really sucks. I have been using ADG Wipeout lately and it does an awesome job of cleaning interiors and slightly darkens plastics without making them glossy which I love. It’s also the best rinseless wash I’ve used to date.

Post Thanks / Like

I will check it out and thanks for the suggestion

Post Thanks / Like

Now you have me curious..Alaska to Molokai? Are you originally from Molokai?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    There is a VERY limited supply of chemicals
    locally but Amazon is a click away so any
    suggestions will be appreciated
    I’ll suggest Meguiar’s M39/M40.

Meguiars #39 Professional Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner, clean vinyl, meguiars interior cleaner

Meguiars #40<br>Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner protects rubber, plastic & vinyl interior surfaces. Meguiars # 40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner and

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Now you have me curious..Alaska to Molokai? Are you originally from Molokai?
    No, like a lot of Alaskans we started getting out of Alaska in the dead of winter as often as possible

We went to all the other islands many times except Molokai and Lanai

We visited Lanai once and then discovered Molokai in 2004 and fell in love with the lack of everything

My wife kept watching prices and as she got close to retirement we bought a condo so she could spend her winters here

She has horrific arthritis and winter is a nightmare for her

After we got flooded out in our condo by a neighbor we renovated it and sold it and bought a house in 2018

We sold out of Alaska last fall and Molokai is home now

11. Likes dgage liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast