autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with brown spots on my white paint!

My white car has around 4000 miles and is protected with Adam's graphene spray coating and properly maintained. Today I discovered 4, yes, 4 brown dots on the car. 3 are on the Xpel PPF and 1 on the bare paint. The 3 on the PPF don't have a demarcated border like the one on the paint surface. The photos were taken with a hand held microscope. The size of the dots is about 1 mm x 1 mm.

They feel completely smooth by the way. I believe they have become below surface for some reason. With the PPF, I probably understand, but on clearcoat? Are they iron fall outs?

Help with brown spots on my white paint!-img_5478-jpg Help with brown spots on my white paint!-img_5480-jpg Help with brown spots on my white paint!-img_5481-jpg

Help with brown spots on my white paint!-img_5482-jpg

Steps I have tried:

1) Clay
    2) TarX
    3) Iron X
    4) Klasse AIO
    5) Polished using Rupes nano with orange pad and Carpro Ultracut

Nothing worked. The dots didn't even get smaller.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with brown spots on my white paint!

The only thing I've seen similar was a friend who bought a new Honda Civic a few years ago. His father helped him buy it, and being Hindu, insisted it had to be blessed. This involves placing a small amount of Tumeric on a spot above the middle of the windscreen, and another above the badge at the front. Both marks stained the paint. Nothing I tried would remove it. This was brand new paint, one on metal, the other on a plastic panel, but I couldn't remove either.

Sorry, I know this was no real help to you, but I checked with him a year later, both spots had disappeared. Hope the blessing hadn't.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    ... a year later, both spots had disappeared...
    I once had a white car that had some brown stain spots that I could not remove. They also faded away over time. Too the best of my recollection it was a matter of weeks or maybe a few months.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

They look like they could be deposits from Artillery Fungus.
    ”Artillery fungus is a wood-decaying fungus that likes to live in landscape mulch. ... In its natural habitat, artillery fungi shoot spores towards sunlight. Lack of direct sunlight will cause the fungi to shoot spores at reflective surfaces, like white siding or cars”.
    In my experience they are difficult to remove if not attempted soon after they appear. They do seem to fade with time.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to try other brands of iron/fall out remover and let it dwell much longer and see what happens. If a longer dwelling time of other iron removers doesn't touch those spots, then those aren't rust spots, most likely artillery fungus.

Perhaps my final resort would be wet sanding that spot on the paint, and hope the ones on PPF fade over time...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ll look forward to hearing your results.
    I had them on a red car and caught them right away. They were much more noticeable on a friend’s white van; she never did much to remove them initially and are now just slowing fading. We never tried any paint correction methods. Good luck to you on removing whatever they are!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aquarian View Post
    I am going to try other brands of iron/fall out remover and let it dwell much longer and see what happens. If a longer dwelling time of other iron removers doesn't touch those spots, then those aren't rust spots, most likely artillery fungus.

Perhaps my final resort would be wet sanding that spot on the paint, and hope the ones on PPF fade over time...
    If you don't know what it is, I would say it's probably organic. If so, I doubt your iron/fall out remover is the best product to use. Maybe let some paint cleaner dwell on it?

Post Thanks / Like

Almost looks like a cigarette burn.Help with brown spots on my white paint!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishorfly View Post
    They look like they could be deposits from Artillery Fungus.
    ”Artillery fungus is a wood-decaying fungus that likes to live in landscape mulch. ... In its natural habitat, artillery fungi shoot spores towards sunlight. Lack of direct sunlight will cause the fungi to shoot spores at reflective surfaces, like white siding or cars”.
    In my experience they are difficult to remove if not attempted soon after they appear. They do seem to fade with time.
    I get these spots all the time on my white car. They are brutal but disappear with time under mysterious circumstances. I’m guessing fishOrfly is correct but you can also search ”pollen on white car” or bee pollen or bee poo and you’ll see others dealing with the same thing.

Other than waiting, I have found nothing removes them except for polishing with very abrasive pads (and even then it sometimes doesn’t work).