autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    24 Hours Between EXO v4 Coats?

    Hi!

    I applied CSL and did not realize it is not advisable to go more than 24 hours before coating with EXO. I ended up starting on the EXO at right about 23ish hours since the CSL coat.

    I know EXO coats can be applied back to back. I was in no shape after the first EXO coast last night to do the second coat, and now I am at work. Is about 24 hours between EXO coats okay, or is it going to basically be a waste of time!?

    Also, how long is it advised to not drive the car? I am in CA and it doesnt really rain here, can I drive it right away or is it better to avoid driving? I believe it is 7 days before you can wash it, though, correct?

    Thanks!!

  2. #2
    Super Member The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Posts
    7,660
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 24 Hours Between EXO v4 Coats?

    You will probably be ok but contact Gtechniq just to bs sure. The surface has to be free from water for 24 hours. Other than that you can drive it. The curing time is 7 days before washing.

  3. Thanks serper3 thanked for this post
    Likes serper3 liked this post
  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 24 Hours Between EXO v4 Coats?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You will probably be ok but contact Gtechniq just to bs sure. The surface has to be free from water for 24 hours. Other than that you can drive it. The curing time is 7 days before washing.
    Thanks!

    I reached out to them early this morning, but have not heard back. Concerned they will not reply today, so I figured I can just ask on here.

    I am hoping it is okay since they don't say to do it within 24 hours like they do between CSL and EXO.

    Thank you!

  5. #4
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 24 Hours Between EXO v4 Coats?

    Quote Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
    Hi!

    I applied CSL and did not realize it is not advisable to go more than 24 hours before coating with EXO. I ended up starting on the EXO at right about 23ish hours since the CSL coat.

    I know EXO coats can be applied back to back. I was in no shape after the first EXO coast last night to do the second coat, and now I am at work. Is about 24 hours between EXO coats okay, or is it going to basically be a waste of time!?

    Also, how long is it advised to not drive the car? I am in CA and it doesnt really rain here, can I drive it right away or is it better to avoid driving? I believe it is 7 days before you can wash it, though, correct?

    Thanks!!
    Gtechniq states 12 hours before you drive the car, I generally like to wait 24 hours before driving the car and 2 weeks before cleaning it, unless I have a reason to clean it prior (something on my car I don't want).

    That is a tough one regarding EXO. Gtechniq gives you 24 hours to apply EXO and it will cure in 12 hours once completed. If it is not recommended to apply after 24 hours then I wouldn't unless Gtechniq/accredited dealer said otherwise. The layer that is on there is bonded to CSL, the second layer is where you get the crazy wet looks and hydrophobics from EXO. I have had to reapply EXO before, you can remove it with a light polish (minimal cut and it shouldn't do anything to CSL) or it will wear in its own time. If going this route you will need more EXO most likely as you have already done one layer. I have not been in this spot though so I will defer to those that have been.

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 24 Hours Between EXO v4 Coats?

    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow89 View Post
    Gtechniq states 12 hours before you drive the car, I generally like to wait 24 hours before driving the car and 2 weeks before cleaning it.

    That is a tough one regarding EXO. Gtechniq gives you 24 hours to apply and EXO will cure in 12 hours once completed. If it were me, I would go by the instructions. If it is not recommended to apply after 24 hours then I wouldn't unless Gtechniq/credited dealer said otherwise. The layer that is on there is bonded to CSL, the second layer is where you get the crazy wet looks and hydrophobics from EXO. You can remove it with a light polish (minimal cut) or it will wear in its own time. I have not been in this spot though so I will default to those that have been.
    The issue is the instructions don't state you have a certain amount of time to apply the second coat, that I can see. Either way it will be under 24 hours since the second EXO coat goes on.

    I am definitely not going to remove the EXO to reapply two coats. I would imagine the CSL would come off, or at least some of it would come off too.

    I think unless I hear back from Gtechnique in the next several hours, I am just going to apply a second coat and hope for the best.

    This is going on a garage queen so I am not super worried about long long term protection. I will be using something like bead maker or whatever as a drying aid so will be getting some additional protection from that anyway.

  7. #6
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 24 Hours Between EXO v4 Coats?

    Quote Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
    The issue is the instructions don't state you have a certain amount of time to apply the second coat, that I can see. Either way it will be under 24 hours since the second EXO coat goes on.

    I am definitely not going to remove the EXO to reapply two coats. I would imagine the CSL would come off, or at least some of it would come off too.

    I think unless I hear back from Gtechnique in the next several hours, I am just going to apply a second coat and hope for the best.

    This is going on a garage queen so I am not super worried about long long term protection. I will be using something like bead maker or whatever as a drying aid so will be getting some additional protection from that anyway.
    My post edited a little too late lol. CSL will not be removed by a light polish, you will need a compound to do that.

    I am aware Gtechniq doesn't state that, I pulled a very late night on my buddies challenger with EXO because of this lol. I certainly don't blame you for not wanting to reapply EXO, was just trying to point out an option that I felt was safe to help you out in your situation Like I said, I will defer to those that have been in this spot or what Gtechniq/accredited Gtechniq dealers say. If Guz thinks you are probably alright then you probably will be.

  8. Likes dgage liked this post
  9. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 24 Hours Between EXO v4 Coats?

    I just called Gtechniq and of course while I was on the phone with the very nice Gtechniq lady, I got the email response.

    They said the 24 hour time "limit" between CSL and EXO is not because of curing issues, it is from a contamination perspective. They said as long as you panel wipe after CSL or EXO, you can follow up with the next layer at any time. They said that they have people all the time do a panel at a time so the next coat can be 1-2 weeks later. She just said to make sure to panel wipe to remove any contamination and dust. She said this is more of a concern if you are driving the car, the car sits outside, etc.

    She said do not wash for 7 days and 14 if you can avoid it. Good to know.

    Thanks everyone!

  10. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 24 Hours Between EXO v4 Coats?

    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow89 View Post
    My post edited a little too late lol. CSL will not be removed by a light polish, you will need a compound to do that.

    I am aware Gtechniq doesn't state that, I pulled a very late night on my buddies challenger with EXO because of this lol. I certainly don't blame you for not wanting to reapply EXO, was just trying to point out an option that I felt was safe to help you out in your situation Like I said, I will defer to those that have been in this spot or what Gtechniq/accredited Gtechniq dealers say. If Guz thinks you are probably alright then you probably will be.
    Thanks, and I appreciate it.

    Per their rep, no late nights for you needed next time lol!

  11. #9
    Super Member Coatingsarecrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    3,263
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 24 Hours Between EXO v4 Coats?

    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow89 View Post
    My post edited a little too late lol. CSL will not be removed by a light polish, you will need a compound to do that.

    I am aware Gtechniq doesn't state that, I pulled a very late night on my buddies challenger with EXO because of this lol. I certainly don't blame you for not wanting to reapply EXO, was just trying to point out an option that I felt was safe to help you out in your situation Like I said, I will defer to those that have been in this spot or what Gtechniq/accredited Gtechniq dealers say. If Guz thinks you are probably alright then you probably will be.
    CSL can be removed with a polish. The Pro only Crystal Serum has to be removed with sand paper.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #10
    Super Member The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Posts
    7,660
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 24 Hours Between EXO v4 Coats?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    CSL can be removed with a polish. The Pro only Crystal Serum has to be removed with sand paper.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe CSU no longer requires wet sanding.

  13. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Two coats of M16
    By Andy602 in forum Show N' Shine
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-20-2015, 02:00 AM
  2. 1 or 2 coats?
    By corolla619 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2009, 07:34 PM
  3. How many coats?
    By Bridges in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-31-2008, 08:50 PM
  4. List of vehicles with Hard to Soft clear coats or NO clear coats
    By Whitethunder46 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-07-2007, 11:40 AM

Members who have read this thread: 30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» July 2021

S M T W T F S
27282930 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31