autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

DP Tire Coating Fail - What'd I do wrong?

Applied DP Tire Coating with a new foam applicator, to 1 month old tires on a new car. Two coats were applied one day apart. The tires now look hazy and streaked in the attached picture. Anyone know what went wrong? Thanks.

Michael D.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DP Tire Coating Fail - What'd I do wrong?-tire_fail-jpg  
    Mike at www.GreatReflections.biz
    Vancouver, WA's convenient Mobile Detailer comes to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DP Tire Coating Fail - What'd I do wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaCougr View Post
    Applied DP Tire Coating with a new foam applicator, to 1 month old tires on a new car. Two coats were applied one day apart. The tires now look hazy and streaked in the attached picture. Anyone know what went wrong? Thanks.

Michael D.
    How well did you clean it? Did all the browning come out before applying the coating? Applying a tire coating like paint, surface needs to be super clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaCougr View Post

Michael D.
    Did you use a tire cleaner such as Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner or 303 Tire and Rubber or some others? Did you clean multiple times until the cleaner no longer turned brown?

Unlike standard tire dressings, tire coatings require a CLEAN tire so they can adhere to the rubber. If the tire isn’t completely clean using a very good tire cleaner, it won’t adhere well. And even with 7-8 cleanings with the final 2 being completely white (doesn’t turn brown when cleaning), sometimes new tires won’t accept a coating well as they are still off gassing or leaching out chemicals.

My new Continental DWS-06 tires didn’t initially (month after install) accept the tire coating well even when cleaned completely. But the second time a few weeks later, I cleaned and applied again and the tire coating has now been on for months and still looks like a well dressed tire.

4. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How did you prep the tires before applying the DP Tire Coating?

Mike Phillips wrote an excellent article about tire coatings -

Review: PBL Tire Clear Coat
    Review: PBL Tire Clear Coat

Post Thanks / Like

I think OP is a mobile detailer. Probably has a clue what he's doing. I'd venture to say that DP needs to go back to the drawing board with this product. Isn't there another thread on how this product failed with just one rain event?
    Mythos Black C7.5 S6 (sold) / 2022 Camry SE (Ice Edge)

Post Thanks / Like

Used this product a month ago on new tires, made sure the tire was completely clean and dry before applying and they look just as good today as they did when applied. Has had several washes and a lot of time driven in the rain.
    Last edited by Black Bowtie; 07-22-2021 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Correction

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bowtie View Post
    Used this product a month ago on new tires, made sure the tire was completely clean and dry before applying and they look just as good today as they did when applied. Has had several washes and a lot of time driven in the rain.
    There you go, shows you that all tires are not created equal.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m surprised no one mentioned the fact that the tires were brand new, and the whole different set of issues you have to deal with which go way beyond just making sure the tires clean.

The foam can be white as possible, but that’s not even the main problem you’re usually dealing with when it comes to brand new tires, the real problem is that brand new coating that seems to leach out of some brand new tires for sometimes up to a month. Sometimes it can be aggressively scrubbed clean and sometimes it just happens naturally and takes that month or so.

Looking at that tire it seems like that’s the case. Only thing that could’ve helped would’ve been nuclear prep, way beyond just 2-3 hand scrubbings looking for white foam.

10. Likes DetailKitty, Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    There you go, shows you that all tires are not created equal.
    This cannot be overstated. As I move from ownership of different goals, it's a guarantee I'll have different brands and types of tires. So far I don't think I've encountered any two tires which are the same, even within the same brand. Some have been very easy to dress, while others are a royal pain and never look right - Conti DSW 06's and Michelin PS4S's for example. Others take to one product much better than others. It's a real lottery and one reason why I don't do tire coatings.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I’m surprised no one mentioned the fact that the tires were brand new, and the whole different set of issues you have to deal with which go way beyond just making sure the tires clean.
    Agree! "Clean" may not actually be clean. Not only is the mold release on a tire going to be a problem, the grease used by the shop to get the tire on the wheel may cause problems as well. I've had a couple vehicles where that stuff is all over the wheels and tires. It is oil based and doesn't come off easy. I also think the stuff permeates the rubber too and may permanently alter the sidewall of the tire.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

12. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

Agree! "Clean" may not actually be clean. Not only is the mold release on a tire going to be a problem
    Yes that’s it.^ I knew there was a correct term for it, but I couldn’t remember what it was. I’ve made the mistake of coating a tire where that stuff continued to leach out after I applied the coating and it just creates 2x the problem for you to deal with because now you’ve got 2 difficult things to remove.

That happened to the last tire I bought for my car and I just let it finish leaching out on its own for about a month before even attempting to fix it.