autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polish and Cermic coating suggestions

Hi all,

Ive mentioned in other threads that I recently got my hands on a dream car of mine a 2021 camaro in summit white. The paint is in excellent condition minus some iron contamination i plan to deal with by clay-baring the car.
    I want to do a proper ceramic coating on this thing. Ive tried the chemical guys hydro slick, (wasnt impressed) and the Griots ceramic spray wax (which i love), but i want something more robust. Id also like to do a fine polish job on the car. I want it to look its absolute best. Id like to get feedback and suggestions for a few products.

1. 6" DA pads ( i have a set of hexlogic, but i recently read that they can actually mar paint)
    2. Light duty polish to bring out the shine on paint that doesn't need correction (I normally use meguiars 205)
    3. Ceramic coating.

I have experience waxing, polishing etc, but ive never applied a true ceramic coating. Id like something that is workable by a beginner, but that will give good protection. I also don't have access to a garage where i can store the car overnight. I do have a cannopy i can use to provide shade while working on the car.

I am considering Gyeon q2 one, or carpro cquartz

Plan is to use a strip wash on the paint, Claybar, polish, use paint prep spray (like Gyeon paint prep) Then apply the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polish and Cermic coating suggestions

Rupes yellow pads in your choice of size
    CarPro Essence for polish
    CarPro UK3.0 x 2 coats
    Top w/ Reload for sacrificial layer since it can not stay indoors while curing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Rupes yellow pads in your choice of size
    CarPro Essence for polish
    CarPro UK3.0 x 2 coats
    Top w/ Reload for sacrificial layer since it can not stay indoors while curing
    I second this.

Imo there is only one polish to use on white and that's Essence.

I would also do 2 coats of Uk 3.0 or
    one of Uk 3.0 then top it with Cquartz SiC
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

4. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the Rupes yellow pads. I've only got one in my inventory of pads to try out, but I make sure to rotate it in every time I work on a car.

I've had great luck with the Griots BOSS polishes. The Finishing Creme is really good. Great finish and easy to work with.

As for coatings, UK 3.0 is easy to endorse like the others have said; you can never go wrong with it.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the Camaro!

I recently purchased a 2018 Camaro in summit white also. not a pro by any means, but just this weekend finished polishing it, and am really happy with how it turned out!!!

My car had 6k miles when I bought it and it definitely had some more micro marring and swirls than your car probably.

based on recommendations on here, I ended up doing sonax cut max with a blue HDO pad, followed by sonax perfect finish with the yellow rupes pad. Originally wanted to just do the yellow rupes pad with the perfect finish, but was not getting enough cut with just the yellow rupes pad and perfect finish.

Will be coating it with CSL and EXO as from what I am seeing, it is slightly easier to apply, but we will see. I will get some pics up when i am done and get a chance. really hoping i dont get a ton of high spots as i am all polished out!! lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 04lss View Post
    Hi all,

Ive mentioned in other threads that I recently got my hands on a dream car of mine a 2021 camaro in summit white. The paint is in excellent condition minus some iron contamination i plan to deal with by clay-baring the car.
    I want to do a proper ceramic coating on this thing. Ive tried the chemical guys hydro slick, (wasnt impressed) and the Griots ceramic spray wax (which i love), but i want something more robust. Id also like to do a fine polish job on the car. I want it to look its absolute best. Id like to get feedback and suggestions for a few products.

1. 6" DA pads ( i have a set of hexlogic, but i recently read that they can actually mar paint)
    2. Light duty polish to bring out the shine on paint that doesn't need correction (I normally use meguiars 205)
    3. Ceramic coating.

I have experience waxing, polishing etc, but ive never applied a true ceramic coating. Id like something that is workable by a beginner, but that will give good protection. I also don't have access to a garage where i can store the car overnight. I do have a cannopy i can use to provide shade while working on the car.

I am considering Gyeon q2 one, or carpro cquartz

Plan is to use a strip wash on the paint, Claybar, polish, use paint prep spray (like Gyeon paint prep) Then apply the coating.
    Congrats on the new car. The good thing is white hides a lot. The bad thing is it is not one of the easiest colors to coat. Your plan sounds solid.

As far as coatings there are many good options these days. I have not used Gyeon One so I can't comment on it's performance. Budgetplan used it and he topped it with CanCoat which he enjoyed.

You can't go wrong with Cquartz UK 3.0. I did enjoy the application of 22ple Insanity and is one of the glossiest coatings I have used. Their HPC is also nice to apply.

I have used many coatings and most are good. There are also the new graphene infused coatings as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Decided on NV Nova Evo for coating on my summit white. Kamikaze was a close second and would have been 1st if i felt like doing 2 coats.

Agree with essence as you don’t need much or any cut. Griots correcting cream if you do.

I use the Boss pads mainly and would recommend if you use a Griots polisher.... yellow ones.

Will probably use Kamikaze or CSL on my Chevelle.

Lastly CQUK3 is an amazing coating. Used it on my last car and highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post

What Kamikaze coating you pondering?

I can tell ya Kamikaze Zipang is nothing short of amazing.

You have any pictures of your Chevelle on here? Don't see ya posting it much.....
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 98CayenneTA View Post
    What Kamikaze coating you pondering?

I can tell ya Kamikaze Zipang is nothing short of amazing.

You have any pictures of your Chevelle on here? Don't see ya posting it much.....
    Im thinking ism 1.0 and Miyabi. I don’t mind spending money on detailing where needed but can’t get myself to bite the bullet on 2 things.... Zipang and an IBrid.

My Chevelle is on here somewhere but no thread for it yet. I will start one when I get to detailing it as i will have alot of questions.

Couple of old pics:

11. Likes Desertnate, fly07sti, gregory1420 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Decided on NV Nova Evo for coating on my summit white. Kamikaze was a close second and would have been 1st if i felt like doing 2 coats.

Agree with essence as you don’t need much or any cut. Griots correcting cream if you do.

I use the Boss pads mainly and would recommend if you use a Griots polisher.... yellow ones.

Lastly CQUK3 is an amazing coating. Used it on my last car and highly recommend.

You will want to use Exo. CSL by itself is rather blah in its hydrophobic behavior.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast