autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Megs APC stained windscreen.

Hello!

I used Megs APC to clean my car interior and some overspray got on my windscreen and other windows in the car, I've tried a few things and nothing is budging it; AG Glass Polish, Windex, White Vinegar Cleaner, HG Interior Glass Cleaner.

Please can anyone recommend anything to sort this out? I'm really upset about it. I'm trying to avoid using abrasives that may damage the Windscreen as I am no detailing expert. But the longer this goes on the less chance I feel I have of fixing it without drastic measures.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Megs APC stained windscreen.

Do you have photos and what dilution were you using. Is there aftermarket tint on the glass?

Also, when wiping interior, spray into tbr the towel then wipe. Generally onr or water is enough.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

3. Likes phixion liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

I remember approving your pending account this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by phixion View Post

Hello!

I used Megs APC to clean my car interior and some overspray got on my windscreen and other windows in the car,

Just to be sure, when you say WINDSCREEN - you mean the inside of the windshield? If it's just the windshield, switch over to a dedicated glass cleaner.

Or are you talking about some of the delicate plastic screens in the car like navigation screen or the plastic that covers the gauges?

5. Likes phixion liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged75 View Post
    Do you have photos and what dilution were you using. Is there aftermarket tint on the glass?

Also, when wiping interior, spray into tbr the towel then wipe. Generally onr or water is enough.

It was a premixed solution, bought in a spray bottle. It doesn't need mixing so I'm unsure what dilution is used in it.

Here are some photos: APC - Album on Imgur

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

I remember approving your pending account this morning.

Just to be sure, when you say WINDSCREEN - you mean the inside of the windshield? If it's just the windshield, switch over to a dedicated glass cleaner.

Or are you talking about some of the delicate plastic screens in the car like navigation screen or the plastic that covers the gauges?

Thank you for approving me

Yes, inside of the windshield mostly, although there are a few spots on the windows.

What glass cleaner would you recommend?

I am really gutted as I had no idea APC was bad on glass, I'm just glad I didn't attempt to clean the glass with it...

Just to add, I did contact Meguiar's and they replied with the following:

Thank you for contacting Meguiar’s!

If you have gotten this product on glass it can stain the glass if it’s not removed. You can try using a compound to remove the residual product from your glass. Ultimate Compound or M105 Ultra Cut Compound would be good options.

I have to admit, I am afraid to use compound on it as I don't really know what I'm doing. To add to the frustration, the car is a lease and is due to go back in a few months, I really want to get it looking as it should before that happens.

Mike Phillips

I am really gutted as I had no idea APC was bad on glass, I'm just glad I didn't attempt to clean the glass with it...
    To be honest - I didn't know an APC could physically stain or alter glass. Glass is pretty stout and it's also for the most part impervious to most chemicals. Chemist use GLASS beakers to mix a multitude of chemicals when creating formulas for a reason.

If you have gotten this product on glass it can stain the glass if it’s not removed. You can try using a compound to remove the residual product from your glass. Ultimate Compound or M105 Ultra Cut Compound would be good options.

Great people at Meguiar's and they are correct. A simple clearcoat safe compound should cut through the film of APC on the glass and remove it without causing any other harm to the glass.

I have to admit, I am afraid to use compound on it as I don't really know what I'm doing.

To add to the frustration, the car is a lease and is due to go back in a few months, I really want to get it looking as it should before that happens.

Here's two recent cars I detailed where I used dedicated glass polishes on the INSIDE of the glass to remove film builds - but - any clearcoat safe compound, from a respected brand should work just fine.

Machine Sanding Glass - Do NOT do this!

From post #2

Topical versus Sub-Surface Glass Polishing

The BLACKFIRE Water Spot Remover is for cleaning and removing TOPICAL stains off the surface of glass. It is NOT for removing scratches IN the glass. For my purpose, it worked perfect. If you have scratches, wiper marks or swirls IN glass you need a glass polish that contains Cerium Oxide. Remember that. So many experts on YouTube and Facebook always telling me, any old polish will work. What they have done is shared with me their "knowledge level".

This is real simple folks... use a microfiber applicator pad and then contort yourself to get the job done.

BOOM!

Crystal Clear Glass!

And most important - crystal clear glass for the DRIVER.

8. Likes phixion liked this post
    Mike Phillips

About a year or so ago I worked on a couple of old 2-door Fords that had been sitting in a barn for a number of years. The inside glass had some kind of film on it.

Bucket List Buff - 1968 Shelby Mustang GT350 - Detailed by Mike Phillips

Now that’s clean!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I see, thank you for your help.

Will this be okay to use by hand on a microfibre cloth then?

Meguiars Ultimate Compound 450ml | Halfords UK

I've already tried AG Glass Polish and that didn't budge it.

Just want to make sure, so far I've spent a fair amount buying stuff to try and remove these spots and it's getting expensive!

Mike Phillips

Any quality brand glass cleaner should do the trick.

Use multiple towels though. Once a towel has the APC film on it - if you continue to use it you'll simply cross-transfer the APC back onto the glass.

I would get a handful of microfiber towels, or even kitchen towels or wash cloths from the linen closet.

For the initial wipe - spray glass cleaner directly onto the towel - you want it wet with glass cleaner but not like soppy, dripping wet. You want/need enough glass cleaner to dissolve the APC. Use this first towel and wipe the glass trying to re-liquefy the APC and get most of it off.

The repeat with a clean, un-used towel.

In my mind, you should be able to remove the APC off glass using just a glass cleaner.

But if this doesn't work, then try the compound approach.

After removing the APC film with a compound you'll still want and need to clean the glass with some glass cleaner to do the job right.

Fear not - you got this...

12. Thanks phixion thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was a premixed solution, bought in a spray bottle. It doesn't need mixing so I'm unsure what dilution is used in it.

Here are some photos: APC - Album on Imgur

Thank you for approving me

Yes, inside of the windshield mostly, although there are a few spots on the windows.

I have to admit, I am afraid to use compound on it as I don't really know what I'm doing. To add to the frustration, the car is a lease and is due to go back in a few months, I really want to get it looking as it should before that happens.
    If you are around Chicago I'd be happy to give you a hand. I have tools and a bit of knowledge to assist.

14. Thanks phixion thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does Meguiar's sell a bottle size APC or is this their full strength all purpose cleaner (D101) that someone put into one of their empty spray bottles? If it's full strength, that's strong to be using on an interior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast