autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Megs APC stained windscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Any quality brand glass cleaner should do the trick.

Use multiple towels though. Once a towel has the APC film on it - if you continue to use it you'll simply cross-transfer the APC back onto the glass.

I would get a handful of microfiber towels, or even kitchen towels or wash cloths from the linen closet.

For the initial wipe - spray glass cleaner directly onto the towel - you want it wet with glass cleaner but not like soppy, dripping wet. You want/need enough glass cleaner to dissolve the APC. Use this first towel and wipe the glass trying to re-liquefy the APC and get most of it off.

The repeat with a clean, un-used towel.

In my mind, you should be able to remove the APC off glass using just a glass cleaner.

But if this doesn't work, then try the compound approach.

After removing the APC film with a compound you'll still want and need to clean the glass with some glass cleaner to do the job right.

Fear not - you got this...

Great, thank you for the tips. You certainly know what you're doing by the looks of it!

Yes, I am astonished that this stuff is so stuck on, I've tried all sorts of glass polish/glass cleaner and nothing moves it, the spots vanish as I wipe and then it reappears as soon as the cleaner has dried or been removed. I would never have thought an APC could do so much damage to a window. I've been scouring the internet and found lots of posts about it.

I have one other option that I've read about online, White Vinegar... I've ordered some in the hope that it will just penetrate the stain and fetch it off. Wishful thinking I suspect, but some fella online did say he tried everything and the only thing that removed it was white vinegar. I will try 1:1 5% acidity white vinegar with water first, if that doesn't work is it safe to move on to pure 5% acidity white vinegar or could that do more damage?

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged75 View Post
    If you are around Chicago I'd be happy to give you a hand. I have tools and a bit of knowledge to assist.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Thank you so much for the kind offer, sadly I am nowhere near Chicago... I'm in England! I think we share similar weather

2. Likes supercharged75 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    Does Meguiar's sell a bottle size APC or is this their full strength all purpose cleaner (D101) that someone put into one of their empty spray bottles? If it's full strength, that's strong to be using on an interior.
    It's this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiars-G9...0F3UNB9O&psc=1

And it states on the directions to spray directly on to interior (which has caused my issues with the overspray on the windscreen).

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, that looks like a prediluted over the counter product.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by phixion View Post

I see, thank you for your help.

Will this be okay to use by hand on a microfibre cloth then?

Meguiars Ultimate Compound 450ml | Halfords UK
    Yes.

Here's your pictures - I'm having a hard time seeing the stain? Could be cause of the grain of the wood paneling in the background?

I've already tried AG Glass Polish and that didn't budge it.
    Hmm.... what is the specific name of the product?

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm.... what is the specific name of the product?

Mike:
    All Purpose Cleaner 710ML

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's called Autoglym Car Glass Polish.

I've highlighted some of the marks, It's hard to see in the photos, it's easier to see in person, especially when the sun is hitting the screen.

Megs APC stained windscreen.-apc_glass_stain_01-jpg

Mike Phillips

It's called Autoglym Car Glass Polish.

I've highlighted some of the marks, It's hard to see in the photos, it's easier to see in person, especially when the sun is hitting the screen.

Megs APC stained windscreen.-apc_glass_stain_01-jpg

I've never used the Autoglym glass polish no experience.

The Meguiar's M105 uses SMAT or Super Micro Abrasive Technology. It won't scratch the glass - so you're safe here. That doesn't mean it will undo the damage. Are you a member of DetailingWorld.co.uk?

If so - create a thread over there and see if there's anyone near you. Lots of nice chaps on the forum.

It's hard to believe an consumer bottled APC would "chemically" etch the glass. I want to believe the issue is simply topical - that is a stain ON the surface. As such, it's just a matter of rubbing with the right product to chew off the film of APC.

If you were down the road from Autogeek I would say stop on by... but alas... you'll need a boat for that...

Keep us updated.

9. Thanks phixion thanked for this post
    Likes phixion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't look like it from the pictures, but the car doesn't have a heads-up display does it? Cars with that feature often have a coating on the inside of the glass to allow the HUD to work. Even then I wouldn't think an APC would damage that coating, but you never know.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never used the Autoglym glass polish no experience.

The Meguiar's M105 uses SMAT or Super Micro Abrasive Technology. It won't scratch the glass - so you're safe here. That doesn't mean it will undo the damage. Are you a member of DetailingWorld.co.uk?

If so - create a thread over there and see if there's anyone near you. Lots of nice chaps on the forum.

It's hard to believe an consumer bottled APC would "chemically" etch the glass. I want to believe the issue is simply topical - that is a stain ON the surface. As such, it's just a matter of rubbing with the right product to chew off the film of APC.

If you were down the road from Autogeek I would say stop on by... but alas... you'll need a boat for that...

Keep us updated.

Thank you for all the help and the offers of in-person help. I wish I did know someone reputable nearby, as I really don't want to make the situation worse come handover day. I've signed up at DetailingWorld and will try there.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    It doesn't look like it from the pictures, but the car doesn't have a heads-up display does it? Cars with that feature often have a coating on the inside of the glass to allow the HUD to work. Even then I wouldn't think an APC would damage that coating, but you never know.
    No HUD. It's basically just white spots across the bottom of the screen, it's from the overspray from the dashboard hitting the screen. Annoyingly, the bottle does not mention to be careful of glass either. I'm a complete novice when it comes to these things.

Next time I think I'll stick to regular soapy water, haha.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12