autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Polisher inducing scratches help

    Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Don't you just wish you could be there to help out in situations like this? I know I do.





    I've been a Pontiac guy my entire life, so yeah, that is a cool car!
    Even back in my stock car days when just about every competitor was a Chevelle, mine was...

    Attachment 73949 Attachment 73950 Attachment 73951
    Nice!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

  2. Thanks 2black1s thanked for this post
  3. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Polisher inducing scratches help

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Watch this video.

    Even though it shows using a Porter Cable polisher, it shows the same technique for using the Supa BEAST.

    Fast forward to the 26 minute time stamp.





    There's a part of me that thinks maybe you're not pushing down hard enough on the head of the polisher.

    After looking at the pictures you sent me, the swirls look like "normal" type swirls that should buff out real easy with the tool, pads and products you have.

    )
    Want to give a HUGE thank you to Mike for taking the time to diagnose and walk me through the steps of finding the right combo to correct my car. The combo that ended working flawlessly with the Supa Beast was the yellow Rupes pad teamed with the Pinnacle Advanced Compound. Also, used Mike’s advice of 5-10 lbs of pressure while making the passes. Did the wipe off and viola! PERFECT!! All my initial frustrations and disappointments immediately disintegrated.

    Lessons learned: 1) Don’t get frustrated in the test spot phase, 2) Try different combinations of quality polishes/compounds with quality pads. I initially did two different combos and then stopped. Needed to do more. 3) Have confidence in the quality tool and polishes that you have. They WILL WORK!! 4) Don’t be afraid to reach out for help! I did that part right. 5) As Mike said, “each one teach one.” I will be passing all knowledge learned during my detailing journey to others.

    Last question Mike…..the paint looks perfect to me, but with your keen eye, should I finish it out with the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish? If yes, do you think I should use the Rupes yellow pad again or drop down a tick to their white pad?



    Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

  4. Likes MisterSnoop, 2black1s, Jim w, dgage liked this post
  5. #13
    Super Member 98CayenneTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    311
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Polisher inducing scratches help

    I have done many 4th gen. Trans Ams and the paint is just a touch to the hard side of medium. You really should not be getting micro maring.

    I actually own a Cayenne Red 4th gen. myself....

    I would finish your car with the Rupes white pad and CarPro Essence.

    Sounds like ya got it figured out..... don't suppose you live in Minnesota do ya...

    Here's a couple....

    Mine



    Mine behind the wicked black

    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

  6. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Polisher inducing scratches help

    Quote Originally Posted by 98CayenneTA View Post
    I have done many 4th gen. Trans Ams and the paint is just a touch to the hard side of medium. You really should not be getting micro maring.

    I actually own a Cayenne Red 4th gen. myself....

    I would finish your car with the Rupes white pad and CarPro Essence.

    Sounds like ya got it figured out..... don't suppose you live in Minnesota do ya...

    Here's a couple....

    Mine



    Mine behind the wicked black

    Nice clean TA! Is yours a 98? Glad to see that we are keeping it alive! I have the 01 so wondering if the paint hardness/softness possibly changed?? I was doing a 50/50 shot with tape, so when I was finished, I pulled the tape off and wiped off the compound that was stuck around the tape and ended up marring the paint where I was rubbing it. I donít have as much experience as you for sure, but my paint seems to be on the softer side. But again, donít have much to compare hard vs soft until I start polishing more cars.


    Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

  7. #15
    Super Member 98CayenneTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    311
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Polisher inducing scratches help

    Quote Originally Posted by jas02ta View Post
    Nice clean TA! Is yours a 98? Glad to see that we are keeping it alive! I have the 01 so wondering if the paint hardness/softness possibly changed?? I was doing a 50/50 shot with tape, so when I was finished, I pulled the tape off and wiped off the compound that was stuck around the tape and ended up marring the paint where I was rubbing it. I don’t have as much experience as you for sure, but my paint seems to be on the softer side. But again, don’t have much to compare hard vs soft until I start polishing more cars.


    Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Yes, mine is a '98

    4th Gen F-body's 4 Lyfe

    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

  8. Likes jas02ta, Jim w liked this post
  9. #16
    Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stuart, Florida
    Posts
    50,917
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Polisher inducing scratches help

    Quote Originally Posted by jas02ta View Post

    Want to give a HUGE thank you to Mike for taking the time to diagnose and walk me through the steps of finding the right combo to correct my car.
    Your welcome but the thing I always like to point out is I'm a part of the Autogeek Customer Care Team. Some people call our customer care on the phone, some send an e-mail, some go to our Detailing 101 Facebook Group and then some come to the forum.

    I've always preferred the forum because I find it the easiest way to share VOLUMES of information.


    Quote Originally Posted by jas02ta View Post

    The combo that ended working flawlessly with the Supa Beast was the yellow Rupes pad teamed with the Pinnacle Advanced Compound. Also, used Mikeís advice of 5-10 lbs of pressure while making the passes.

    Did the wipe off and viola! PERFECT!!

    All my initial frustrations and disappointments immediately disintegrated.
    Congratulations!

    Starting out your first time polishing with a a FLEX Supa BEAST is like learning to drive in a Super Car. You did great. All we did was tweak your technique.


    Quote Originally Posted by jas02ta View Post

    Lessons learned:

    1) Donít get frustrated in the test spot phase,

    2) Try different combinations of quality polishes/compounds with quality pads. I initially did two different combos and then stopped. Needed to do more.

    3) Have confidence in the quality tool and polishes that you have. They WILL WORK!!

    4) Donít be afraid to reach out for help! I did that part right.

    5) As Mike said, ďeach one teach one.Ē I will be passing all knowledge learned during my detailing journey to others.
    Perfect summary.

    By the way, I forget where I got the saying, "each one teach one", but I used it after teaching a young man how to detail cars and his first car was a Ferrari!

    Here's the original article from 2004

    Each one, teach one... Ferrari Fiorano 355 F1 Spider





    Quote Originally Posted by jas02ta View Post

    Last question MikeÖ..the paint looks perfect to me, but with your keen eye, should I finish it out with the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish?

    If yes, do you think I should use the Rupes yellow pad again or drop down a tick to their white pad?

    Great questions. If you're OCD to the max then re-polish using the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish with the RUPES White pad.

    But - if it looks good to you? Seal her up! Pinnacle Advanced Compound uses great abrasive technology as you have seen first hand.




  10. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Polisher inducing scratches help

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Your welcome but the thing I always like to point out is I'm a part of the Autogeek Customer Care Team. Some people call our customer care on the phone, some send an e-mail, some go to our Detailing 101 Facebook Group and then some come to the forum.

    I've always preferred the forum because I find it the easiest way to share VOLUMES of information.




    Congratulations!

    Starting out your first time polishing with a a FLEX Supa BEAST is like learning to drive in a Super Car. You did great. All we did was tweak your technique.




    Perfect summary.

    By the way, I forget where I got the saying, "each one teach one", but I used it after teaching a young man how to detail cars and his first car was a Ferrari!

    Here's the original article from 2004

    Each one, teach one... Ferrari Fiorano 355 F1 Spider








    Great questions. If you're OCD to the max then re-polish using the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish with the RUPES White pad.

    But - if it looks good to you? Seal her up! Pinnacle Advanced Compound uses great abrasive technology as you have seen first hand.



    Iíll be sealing it up! Thanks again Mike!


    Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

  11. #18
    Super Member 2black1s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Polisher inducing scratches help

    This thread is another data point in the discussion regarding the most important factor when it comes to polishing paint. Technique / Tool / Pad / Paint/ Abrasive Technology. Here's the link to that thread...

    POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

    In the case discussed here, "Technique" turned out to be the most significant factor. The OP was not getting acceptable results with his polishing process. Without changing the tool, pad, or product, and changing only his technique (with the guidance provided), he was able to achieve acceptable results.

    That has typically been my experience too. Technique changes, i.e., machine pressure, machine speed, arm speed, amount of product, polishing cycle duration, polishing pattern, number of polishing cycles, etc., can have a major effect on the results. The same product, tool, pad can be used to achieve great results across a wide spectrum of varying conditions by simply experimenting with/altering the "Technique".

    I think I voted for "Technique" in the linked poll (a long time ago) because if I had to pick one of the choices provided that is what came to mind first. Actually, I think all of the choices play together. Any one of them, or any combination thereof, can and will have an effect. Each "problem case" must be analyzed on it's own and the "most likely" cause can be different from case to case.

    So... If I was voting today, I'd look for an "Other" choice due to the fact that "the most important..." can be different based on the issue at hand.

    But I will also say that "Technique" has to be a consideration... Along with "Abrasive Technology", and to a lesser extent, the remaining choices.

  12. Likes psnt1ol liked this post
  13. #19
    Super Member psnt1ol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    858
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Polisher inducing scratches help

    Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    This thread is another data point in the discussion regarding the most important factor when it comes to polishing paint. Technique / Tool / Pad / Paint/ Abrasive Technology. Here's the link to that thread...

    POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

    In the case discussed here, "Technique" turned out to be the most significant factor. The OP was not getting acceptable results with his polishing process. Without changing the tool, pad, or product, and changing only his technique (with the guidance provided), he was able to achieve acceptable results.

    That has typically been my experience too. Technique changes, i.e., machine pressure, machine speed, arm speed, amount of product, polishing cycle duration, polishing pattern, number of polishing cycles, etc., can have a major effect on the results. The same product, tool, pad can be used to achieve great results across a wide spectrum of varying conditions by simply experimenting with/altering the "Technique".

    I think I voted for "Technique" in the linked poll (a long time ago) because if I had to pick one of the choices provided that is what came to mind first. Actually, I think all of the choices play together. Any one of them, or any combination thereof, can and will have an effect. Each "problem case" must be analyzed on it's own and the "most likely" cause can be different from case to case.

    So... If I was voting today, I'd look for an "Other" choice due to the fact that "the most important..." can be different based on the issue at hand.

    But I will also say that "Technique" has to be a consideration... Along with "Abrasive Technology", and to a lesser extent, the remaining choices.

    Totally agree with everything you said....

    I also like to add that some abrasive technologies require a counter intuitive approach.

  14. Thanks 2black1s thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Glass polishing and inducing micro marring...
    By Paul A. in forum Ask Mike Phillips your detailing questions!
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-30-2021, 08:07 AM
  2. Re: Pad inducing micro swirls in the paint?
    By Ruben12 in forum Ask Mike Phillips your detailing questions!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-14-2016, 04:01 PM
  3. Pad inducing micro swirls in the paint?
    By Ruben12 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-14-2016, 08:28 AM
  4. DA Polisher to remove stainless steel scratches?
    By dbizzle22 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-27-2014, 03:12 AM
  5. Door Handles - Scratches-Which Polisher
    By phantom in forum Ask Mike Phillips your detailing questions!
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-15-2011, 11:30 AM

Members who have read this thread: 83

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» July 2021

S M T W T F S
27282930 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31