autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Brush recommendation please

Recently I bought a Speedmaster 5 piece brush set, which is real nice and good quality.

Perfect use for inside clean, vent, plastic corner cleans and soft enough not making a scratch.

However, it is not firm, strong enough to clean / agitate outside, such as door trim, engine bay, trunk trim, rubbers etc.

I was going to use a big brush for it but it was not firm enough, does not mean it is a bad brush but I need different

types of brush, a little firm while not making any damage / scratch on paint, frame.

What brush would you recommend?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brush recommendation please

Give the wheel woolies boars hair wheel brush a try. I love it for wheels/engine bays/ step bars. Wont scratch, unless you missuse it. They also have a 1 inch detail brush which may suit your needs better for some tight spots.

It is a bit expensive for a brush but definatly the best brush purchase ive ever made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jameskim View Post
    Recently I bought a Speedmaster 5 piece brush set, which is real nice and good quality.

Perfect use for inside clean, vent, plastic corner cleans and soft enough not making a scratch.

However, it is not firm, strong enough to clean / agitate outside, such as door trim, engine bay, trunk trim, rubbers etc.

I was going to use a big brush for it but it was not firm enough, does not mean it is a bad brush but I need different

types of brush, a little firm while not making any damage / scratch on paint, frame.

What brush would you recommend?

Thanks
    To make your brushes a bit stiffer... use a rubber band or masking tape and wrap the brush head with either. By restricting the movement of the brush fibers will make the brush stiffer. Current brush fiber is about 1" or 1 1.5" long and by wrapping the brush to the mid way point would increase the stiffness significantly.

4. Likes SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a set of Speedmaster Wheel Brushes that I rarely use anymore. I used them one time on the front black plastic grill of my truck and it left minor scratches behind. They have been hanging on my shelf ever since. Granted, gloss black plastic scratches very easily but my thoughts are that if it scratches such in a single use, then it's scratching anything you use it on, especially with repeated usage over time.

Now I take the extra time required and use only microfiber towels for wheels/grills and such. When necessary, I'll wrap a towel around a paint stirring stick to reach hard-to-get areas. If I do need a brush in any critical area, about the only type I will use anymore is a high quality paint brush (the $15 ones, not the $3 ones).

I have never experienced ANY brush that is completely safe, even when used as prescribed. About the only place I continue to use any brush on regularly is tire sidewalls, and even then I'm careful to keep the brush away from the edge of the wheel.

Brushes do have their place for daily driver vehicles, but for anything you are trying to maintain as "perfectly" as you can, throw away your brushes.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, all brushes will scratch it's just the severity of how much between each one. I have some similar to the daytona brush set and cut almost half of the bristles (more firm) off and then used some skateboard griptape and sanded bristles to even and smooth out the bristle length. I use this brush particularly for cleaning the lettering on the tires (and hard to reach areas) and the outer wheel edge/inner tire edge of the tire to clean right where a tire brush can't always get in...

Post Thanks / Like

I found my current wheel face brush in a very unlikely place...my local big box store.

Previously, I'd used the Mother's brush which looks similar to the Wheel Woolies tire brush, but was never happy with the bristles. They always seemed a little too harsh and rough. One day while browsing the car wash area at the store. I took a look at their store brand wheel brush and noticed that even though the bristles were just as stiff as the Mother's brush, the bristles were more densely packed on the brush face and the flagged tips were MUCH softer. It is really quite gentle and I've been using it for years now and it has held up very well. The Mother's brush has been demoted to engine bays.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog