autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Towel drying + blow drying

I have ordered a little blower to help with drying the car. The main areas I’ll be using it on are handles, mirrors (nooks and crannies) etc to prevent water dripping. I will still be towel drying the majority of the car with a drying aid. The blower I have coming is battery powered and quite small, with a rubber nozzle for safety and is light enough to get around the car easy.

I was wondering if there is a preferred order to use this combination? Air dry nooks first, then towel dry as usual OR towel dry as usual then air dry the nooks and crannies? Does it even really matter? My initial thoughts are air dry then towel.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Towel drying + blow drying

To me, if it was hot and any water on the surface would dry quickly, I'd towel dry first. If that's not a concern, I'd blow dry first and then towel dry. Otherwise, you have to towel dry again after you've blown out the nooks.

3. Thanks rover137 thanked for this post
    Likes Azure, PaulMys, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If possible blow dry first. The water you blow out of all the irritating areas like mirrors, door handles, bodywork creases, lug nut wells and seams will blow all over the rest of the car.

5. Likes PaulMys, rover137, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    To me, if it was hot and any water on the surface would dry quickly, I'd towel dry first. If that's not a concern, I'd blow dry first and then towel dry. Otherwise, you have to towel dry again after you've blown out the nooks.
    That's what I go by. My driveway always has sun, so 80% of the time, I dry first, then get the blower out for the never ending drip areas.

7. Likes rover137 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    If possible blow dry first. The water you blow out of all the irritating areas like mirrors, door handles, bodywork creases, lug nut wells and seams will blow all over the rest of the car.
    ^^^This^^^
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

9. Likes rover137 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It appears the consensus is to blow dry first and then towel dry - weather permitting. This confirms what i was thinking - water drying quickly and having to use the towel again etc after blowing out areas and it going everywhere etc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rover137 View Post
    It appears the consensus is to blow dry first and then towel dry - weather permitting. This confirms what i was thinking - water drying quickly and having to use the towel again etc after blowing out areas and it going everywhere etc
    Another thing blow drying first does, is to remove more water so that the towel has less work to do.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

12. Likes BudgetPlan1, Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is true. I don't think the little blower i ordered will be able to remove much water on flat panels

I have this guy coming - 18V ONE+ Workshop Blower

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rover137 View Post
    This is true. I don't think the little blower i ordered will be able to remove much water on flat panels

I have this guy coming - 18V ONE+ Workshop Blower
    If your vehicle is well maintained, you would be surprise how quickly the blower would disburse the water. Blower are also great at drying the wheels.

I have both the metro blaster side kick and the 8HP master blaster. I find myself using the sidekick much more due to the compact size. Both units have filtered warm air but the 8HP can blow a gallon of milk across the floor. LOL

Metro Blaster SideKick Now With 12 Foot Cord!

Metro Master Blaster

15. Likes BudgetPlan1, joshhas99problems liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    If your vehicle is well maintained, you would be surprise how quickly the blower would disburse the water. Blower are also great at drying the wheels.

I have both the metro blaster side kick and the 8HP master blaster. I find myself using the sidekick much more due to the compact size. Both units have filtered warm air but the 8HP can blow a gallon of milk across the floor. LOL

Metro Blaster SideKick Now With 12 Foot Cord!

Metro Master Blaster

I would like to think it is well maintained! Ceramic coating, polished, washed once a week etc

Sounds like a beast haha Yeah, that is why i got the little handheld compact one as i don't see myself setting up a full drying unit. I will also always use a towel with a drying aid anyway, so getting the majority of the car is not so much of a concern for me. It is those pesky little drips that i am sick of!

I have been reading about filtered air with blowers - the one i ordered doesn't specify if it is filtered or not. I assume it isn't as it is a blower and not a dedicated dryer. How much of a concern is this?

I know of a lot of detailers who use this exact model for nooks and crannies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast