autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

spot strip washing

Hi guys,

Is there a way to just strip wash a small section for correcting and such? I'm new to detailing and paint correction and have been going through an arduous routine of strip washing sections of the car for a day of paint correcting. The washing ends up being like half the car because of how much spillover there is from the suds and rinsing. So, I end up having to do LSP on a lot more than I've even worked on during the correcting.

Is there a rinseless product that would be suitable for just preparing small areas for claying and correcting?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: spot strip washing

I’m sure somebody will have a problem with this but here’s what I do when I need to do a small area:
    1.Wipe the area down with a wet Microfiber then dry.
    2.Wipe the area again with a 50-50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water.
    3.If the panel has been coated with a ton of stuff over the years, use the alcohol again.

If you need to get rid of any type of ceramic coating and such after step number one, polish with something like Maguires 205 or ultimate compound.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

You can do a rinseless or waterless wash on that section, then use a coating prep cleaner (I like the Otimum one) to remove anything left.

Also, leaving some sections of the car unprotected for a few days is not that detrimental to the paint.

Mike Phillips

First...

Because this is your first post...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

I actually just approve new pending accounts, saw your account this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Camineet View Post
    Hi guys,

Is there a way to just strip wash a small section for correcting and such? I'm new to detailing and paint correction and have been going through an arduous routine of strip washing sections of the car for a day of paint correcting. The washing ends up being like half the car because of how much spillover there is from the suds and rinsing. So, I end up having to do LSP on a lot more than I've even worked on during the correcting.

Is there a rinseless product that would be suitable for just preparing small areas for claying and correcting?

I wouldn't be concerned about "stripping" anything off the paint via a washing/wiping process IF I'm also going to compound or polish the paint.

Any quality compound and/or polish will remove anything on the paint.

Heck, if it were me and I was doing this out in the garage I'd just wipe the area I want to work on with some SONAX glass cleaner and get to work.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what Mike said, don't overthink it. Strip washing is not that important at all if you're going to be polishing/compounding the paint. It's just another step we do, like Iron-X or clay, that may or may be not necessary but it's cheap insurance and a way to guarantee the finish of the detailing but of all the steps, I'd say strip wash is the least important and many actually start with a simple rinseless wash instead of even doing a very strong wash outside.
    Bruno Soares

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Very helpful I had no idea. Thanks guys