autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Preventing Swirls and Scratches on Soft Black Paint

My car has an extremely soft black paint. I always find new swirls here and there after each wash. As a result I have to correct the paint for like every 6 months or so. I have a ceramic coating on my car, by the way.

For my wash, I always do a 2 bucket method, I use korean microfiber mitts (similar to Gyeon smoothie). The shampoo I use is Tac System's Mystic Bubble. My wash process includes a pre-wash, then rinsing with a pressure washer, foaming the car again and performing a hand wash. I always rinse my mitt every one or two panel, I also wash top to bottom in linear motions (1 pass only) I dry my car with Gyeon's silk drying towel, combined with a blower. Even recently I dried the car without touching it only with a blower since I just got it recoated. BUT still I got a few new scratches here and there.

So, i assume that my washing process is adding scratches to the car. Should I use multiple wash mitts? Should I use a drying aid for added lubricity?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preventing Swirls and Scratches on Soft Black Paint

I know this is not going to help you very much but I used to own a black 2004 G35 that had extremely soft paint. It was so soft that running a cotton ball over the paint would scratch it. I would end up polishing the paint once a month and towards the end you could just barely see the primer around the quarter panel where the wife would touch trying to get out with her #9 nails. That's when I joined this forum and Accumulator came to my rescue. He told me to try Optimum Opti-Coat. Wow, wow, what a difference - the greatest product I've ever used and a lot of guys feel the same way and the price was right too. Every time I washed the car it look just as if I had polished and waxed it. It was phenominal. Never had to break out the polisher again, it was a hard shell type of coating and for the next two years I didn't have to top it with anything.
    Now you can't get OC unless you are a certified professional detailer and the price has gone through the roof.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely use multiple mitts and wash more often than you think is necessary. I would use a foam gun to constantly flow soap over your paint while you wash. Just foaming once and rinsing isn't enough. Prepare to use a lot of soap.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Definitely use multiple mitts and wash more often than you think is necessary. I would use a foam gun to constantly flow soap over your paint while you wash. Just foaming once and rinsing isn't enough. Prepare to use a lot of soap.
    That sounds like a good approach to his issue but a real pain to have to go through that each and every time to clean the vehicle. But if it works then that's what you have to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Once you do it a few times it’s not reallly that big of a pain. Beats the time and expense of having to polish. Not to mention saving clearcoat.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that feeling - my black Frontier would scratch from a hard look.

I would suggest adding Grit Guard(s), and making it a 2, 3, or 4 bucket wash. The more you clean the mitt, the less chance of marring from the wash. Or looking at using multiple mitts or even the 'bucket of towels' method. Most use the BoT method with rinseless washes, but it works the same with wash soap.
    Bucket of Towels - place several high quality microfiber towels in your wash solution, remove a towel & fold it into 4's, now you have 4 (or 8 if you reverse it) clean parts to clean the car. But only clean small sections - the temptation is to get 'greedy' and wipe a large section, but that defeats the purpose and can lead to swirls. Move to a clean section of the towel and continue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Once you do this to prevent swirls from washing, you need to pay attention to drying as well. Make sure you use the absolute softest drying towels possible and/or use a leaf blower/air dryer to blow off the water.

To make the water easier to dry or blow off, using a sealant or a coating with a high level of water sheeting will help with this. If you can flood rinse the surface to remove most of the water, there is far less drying going on and it will reduce the opportunities to induce swirls.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post
    I know that feeling - my black Frontier would scratch from a hard look.

I would suggest adding Grit Guard(s), and making it a 2, 3, or 4 bucket wash. The more you clean the mitt, the less chance of marring from the wash. Or looking at using multiple mitts or even the 'bucket of towels' method. Most use the BoT method with rinseless washes, but it works the same with wash soap.
    Bucket of Towels - place several high quality microfiber towels in your wash solution, remove a towel & fold it into 4's, now you have 4 (or 8 if you reverse it) clean parts to clean the car. But only clean small sections - the temptation is to get 'greedy' and wipe a large section, but that defeats the purpose and can lead to swirls. Move to a clean section of the towel and continue.
    I use grit guards on both my wash and rinse bucket already. I'll try to use multiple mitts on my next wash. If it still doesn't satisfy my needs, I'll try the BoT method then.

By the way, how do you wash your black Frontier?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Once you do this to prevent swirls from washing, you need to pay attention to drying as well. Make sure you use the absolute softest drying towels possible and/or use a leaf blower/air dryer to blow off the water.

To make the water easier to dry or blow off, using a sealant or a coating with a high level of water sheeting will help with this. If you can flood rinse the surface to remove most of the water, there is far less drying going on and it will reduce the opportunities to induce swirls.

Yes I agree. I have a coating from Fireball on my car already. In the past I found out that using my Gyeon silk dryer alone will still leave a few scratches.

Do you think I should use a drying aid/detail spray that is made for coatings?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by nmatthew View Post

I'll try to use multiple mitts on my next wash.

See this article,

How to safely wash a ceramic coated car by Mike Phillips - Traditional Hose & Bucket Approach

Dunk your towels

I've already mixed up my car wash solution so I'm going to place all 12 of my clean and inspected microfiber towels into the bucket. I dunk them into the wash solution and just let them soak while I wash the wheels and tires.

Grab a microfiber towel out of your wash bucket.

Squeeze any excess wash solution out of the towel

Basically when you hold the towel above the bucket you should not see a steady stream of water coming out of the towel. Drips are good.

Starting at the top
    This is me washing the passenger side of the roof and at the same time taking a pictures.

I start in the MIDDLE and work my way outward. I only make one or two passes as I work from the middle to the outside of the panel. If you move the towel or a mitt OVER AND OVER A PANEL this is called SCRUBBING - not washing and you will loosen the dirt on the panel and then rub it into the paint and cause swirls and scratches. Think about it!

and yeah... more info in the actual article.

How to safely wash a ceramic coated car by Mike Phillips - Traditional Hose & Bucket Approach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast