autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Tire Dressing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire Dressing

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Another benefit of spraying the brush is you avoid overspray on your wheels or even the side of your vehicle if it’s windy outside.
    I will never use aerosol car care supplies again after needing to use bug/tar remover on the entire side of my freshly polished and waxed car because I got interior detailer all over it and accidentally let it bake on the black paint for a day or two.

I’m also now much more careful with even spray bottles containing any liquid not made for windows/paint.

I do wonder why I don’t see quick detailers in aerosol cans very often (ever?) though… I’ve considered getting a Griot’s air can for Speed Shine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    The Guz just showed a makeup brush that is smaller than I thought but actually looks big enough to be good on low-profile tires because a normal flag tipped brush is definitely too big.
    It’s actually not too big. I apply on alot of low profile tires using the same brush. You just have to tapper your angle so that mostly just the tip touches the tire as you go around. The same movement you’d do to ensure the very bottom of a tire gets dressed.

I’ve never thought twice about needing a different applicator. Low profile tires are the easiest ones to do because they’re done super fast.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCarBlues View Post

I’m also now much more careful with even spray bottles containing any liquid not made for windows/paint.
    Yea I usually make sure to stand away from the vehicle and away from the direction of the wind whenever I spray the brush.

3. Likes dgage, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    How would you rate your experience of Perl neat vs Perl diluted? My experience doing both was Perl neat was a little thick and it is harder to apply. It just seemed to sit on top of the rubber and not really penetrate. When I dilute Perl 1:1, I found it not only applied better but it also seemed a little more durable. Perl neat didn't last long for me and was very short lived with any form of moisture. Perl diluted actually holds up OK in the dry and attempts to hang in there when it gets wet.

I rather like the look of Perl, but the ease of use and durability of 253 makes it my favorite. I too can't wait to kill off my bottle of Perl and go back to 253.
    I guess it comes down to what you prefer, runny liquid or gel like consistency.

I prefer the thicker consistency as it allows me to work the product into the tire without it potentially running/dripping onto the wheel or floor. Having said that, I can see why you and others like a runnier product like 253 as it certainly does spread over the tire more quickly.

In terms of longevity, this is not an issue for me as my "good" cars don't get driven in the rain. Also, it means I get to re-apply more often!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using blackfire tire dressing for a long time. My tires get a brown coating on them and it drives me nuts.

My weekend cars don't get that dirty. I probably only wash them with water once or twice a year.

Anything that doesn't turn the tires brown?

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    It’s funny because as I began reading DFB’s reply I began trying to remember what exactly I didn’t quite like about Carpro Perl and the both of you brought up 2 different points that reminded me of what it was.

1. Even though the consistency @1:1 should be the same, it somehow doesn’t apply like it because it somehow manages to go on a bit runny.

2. It doesn’t seem to want to penetrate without you having to massage it into the surface over and over again. I remember having to go through that on tires especially, almost as if it’s almost hydrophobic when you don’t need it to be, whereas Hyper Dressing lays down and gets soaked into the surface almost instantly.

Also, Perl somehow feels a bit too chemically, for lack of a better word.

I use Megs Hyper Dressing 1:1
    When I first tried Perl it was as directed, as in diluted. I actually did not like it at all, for the reasons you outlined.

For some reason, I decided to just try it straight out of the bottle and then actually sort of fell in love with it.

I fitted an old Adam's pop-top to the bottle and have not looked back.

7. Likes Coatingsarecrack, dgage, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bdubbs View Post
    I've been using blackfire tire dressing for a long time. My tires get a brown coating on them and it drives me nuts.

My weekend cars don't get that dirty. I probably only wash them with water once or twice a year.

Anything that doesn't turn the tires brown?

I feel using any tire dressing will eventually turn tires brown. Was this when first using? Did you clean tires before using?

Tires need to be scrubbed periodically. I’d recommend a drill brush and 303 T&R or Tifshine Tire cleaner.

9. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you guys like to apply DG 253? I have low profile car tires.

After all the rave reviews in this thread I’m gonna have to pick some up

I use either a foam applicator or a brush to apply any of the many tire dressings in my arsenal.

These are my favorite, great for SUV type tires but work just as well for low profile rubber.

Speed Master Tire Dressing Applicator

I have been using these a lot lately, they are cheap so I can have one for each product.

I also like using a large detailing brush as well.

(That's OG Tire Dressing above for those interested)

11. Likes Eldorado2k, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I feel using any tire dressing will eventually turn tires brown. Was this when first using? Did you clean tires before using?

Tires need to be scrubbed periodically. I’d recommend a drill brush and 303 T&R or Tifshine Tire cleaner.

I think you are correct. Since I don't wash some of my cars that often, I just wipe them down and add more tire dressing. I need to scrub them more often.

I think I'll try what you recommended. Thanks Tire Dressing.

13. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I cut the yellow and black applicators in half to do low profile tires but lately I’ve just been using the brush
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you guys like to apply DG 253? I have low profile car tires.

After all the rave reviews in this thread I’m gonna have to pick some up

My cars have low profile tires too.

I use the Carrand foam tire dressing applicator from the South American River Site. They used to sell those applicators here long ago, but not any more. You can also find the exact same applicator under other brand names and even at a big box store under their house brand. I've bought my last few at the AAFES BX near me under some generic brand name. Same applicator.

The applicator is nice because it's width works great on 35 - 45 aspect ratio low profile tire and the length works well on larger sidewall tires.

As for process, I take the spray bottle and just "drool" product across the applicator and then wipe it on as needed. No overspray on my hands, the car, etc. Works for all the tire dressings I use.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

16. Likes dgage, Coatingsarecrack, DFB liked this post
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast