autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What I'm doing wrong here?

I dont think you are doing anything wrong. It is very common to see the deeper defects once the surface has been "exfoliated" through polishing. The shallower scratches were masking the deeper ones. It is a standard practice with most to do a test spot first prior in doing the entire vehicle. This is to define your process and approach for the entire vehicle.

To correct the defects you are seeing requires a more aggressive approach via compounding, fiber pads, or a combination of both. To preface this, I am assuming your technique is sound (arm speed, pressure, work area size). Please do understand this.... you are removing materials from your clear coat every time you polish or compound. This is why you often hear members say " use the least aggressive approach to get the job done". Unfortunately, there is no magic in a bottle you can buy to solve this since there are just too many factors. Everyone will have their prefer product combinations to resolve this and your head will spin from the all the recommended products. I been using Menzerna products for years and years and you might want to use a fiber pad with the 2400. I often am able to remove deeper scratches such as the ones pictured with this combo with slow arm movement and smaller work area without having to compound the vehicle.

Good luck.

2. Thanks locarno thanked for this post
    Likes locarno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok. Thanks for the answer. I have also question about lighting. I can see those defects only in direct sun under correct angle. Does Scangrip lights will allow me to see those defects without sun? I'm using 4500k led with CRI 95 but I can't see those scratches under this light. It is very annoying because I think the effect is good and then in the sun it isn't.

And does the too soft foam is wrong? I heard some polishing pastes not work very well with soft foams. I don't know why but Menzerna 3000 quicky disappear from paint. With 2500 I can work and work with it and it don't disappear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by locarno View Post
    Ok. Thanks for the answer. I have also question about lighting. I can see those defects only in direct sun under correct angle. Does Scangrip lights will allow me to see those defects without sun? I'm using 4500k led with CRI 95 but I can't see those scratches under this light. It is very annoying because I think the effect is good and then in the sun it isn't.

And does the too soft foam is wrong? I heard some polishing pastes not work very well with soft foams. I don't know why but Menzerna 3000 quicky disappear from paint. With 2500 I can work and work with it and it don't disappear.
    I use the scangrip Sunmatch as my inspection light.

Menzerna 3000 or 3500 are finishing polishes and when pair with a pad that has very little cut... it refines the surface to get that extra pop. During this stage, your arm speed should be a little quicker , lighten the pressure a bit, and you also could slightly increase the size of your work area as well. I am not sure what you meant by the product disappearing from the paint. Finishing polish are generally a bit more runny and turn translucent fairly quickly.

5. Thanks locarno thanked for this post
    Likes locarno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you see with this Scangrip defects that are visible in sunlight?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by locarno View Post

Can you see with this Scangrip defects that are visible in sunlight?

If there IS something to see - you WILL see it with the SCANGRIP.

8. Thanks locarno thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought earlier Brayt WL4011 but it is not very good. Do you think Scangrip Matchpen will be ok or it is better to invest in Sunmatch?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123