autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

This site has ruined me.....

I went to our annual Back to the 50's car show yesterday and looking at all the vehicles, first thing I see are swirls. Almost every car that had shiny paint was covered in swirls. Before I bought my Golf R (March 2020) and joined this form, I would have never noticed, but now swirls stick out like a sore thumb. Curse you detailing Gods.

BTW, it was nice that the show was back (canceled last year due to covid). It was packed as ever. It's been a while since I've been to to that show, but this year seemed to be themed un-modified, un- restored, slightly rusty, faded/missing paint.....etc. Years ago it was all about the rat rod. No complaints, just an observation.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: This site has ruined me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Odrapnew View Post
    I went to our annual Back to the 50's car show yesterday and looking at all the vehicles, first thing I see are swirls. Almost every car that had shiny paint was covered in swirls. Before I bought my Golf R (March 2020) and joined this form, I would have never noticed, but now swirls stick out like a sore thumb. Curse you detailing Gods.

BTW, it was nice that the show was back (canceled last year due to covid). It was packed as ever. It's been a while since I've been to to that show, but this year seemed to be themed un-modified, un- restored, slightly rusty, faded/missing paint.....etc. Years ago it was all about the rat rod. No complaints, just an observation.
    You must be from Minnesota. I'm in White Bear.

Ya, there are some beautiful cars out there with some absolutley trashed paint.

Saw a dark burgundy 1st gen. Firebird out there with a nice laying paint job but looked like a pneumatic rotary with a 3in. wool pad was used on it. It's was horrific !
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, MN born and raised.
    I actually live about 7 blocks away from the north entrance to the fair grounds.

I honestly stopped really looking at the paint shortly after we got there. Like you said, lots of potentially very nice cars, ruined by poor polishing that most people don't see.

The only 2 pictures I took were of a 65 Cobra replica with what may have been a modern GT350 engine(Voodoo). If it was real, bet that flat plane crank singing 8200rpm sound through side pipes would sound glorious. A Factory Five roadster is on my bucket list.

4. Likes Jim w liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LMAO! Isn't it funny how we all look at vehicles whether they be Rolls Royce's to Kia's. We now look ay=t vehicles to see how well maintained they are!...LOL Curse the Detail Gods!

KEEP ON ROCKING!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

6. Likes SNP209 liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

lol yeah i see swirls all the time now too. Before detailing i would have not noticed it one bit. Thats why i "try" to keep my expectations reasonable for my daily driver. Swirls are going to happen but i love the gloss!

I done a quick polish on my bonnet before i came back to work over 2 weeks ago with a lake country SDO orange pad, gyeon primer and my griots G15 on speed 4.5. My arm movement was slow/correction speed and i done 2-3 passes until i felt the polish breakdown. Lots of swirls left and even a few light waterspots but damn the paint is glossy. I applied polish angel's high gloss the next day. People have noticed it.

Post Thanks / Like

Great weekend. I find myself more critical about paint jobs 90% done. A few days with a block sander wet sanding would pay big dividends

Majority of the cars are driver quality providing “smiles by the miles” for their owners. As you have seen, not everyone even worries about scrubbing and dressing their wheels & tires. Even a spray can of tire foam would do wonders.

The owners are happy and that’s all that matters.

9. Likes SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive been going to this show for years.Too much junk at the back the 50s these days
    Used to be a good show until the rat rods started showing up... Don't get me wrong there are some real nice cars there. But lately.....
    Go to the Street Machine Show next month. No junk allowed. Mostly muscle cars.
    Night and day difference imo.

Street Machine Summer Nationals(R) July 16-18, 2021 - Street Machine Nationals

This is one of the biggest shows in the country.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to Street Machines.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    Looking forward to Street Machines.
    Street Machine > BTT 50's

Poor quality picture of my car with a couple buddies at Street Machine about 7 years ago

Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Post Thanks / Like

Used to be in those shows, attended those shows and now don't bother anymore and it's amazing that nothing has changed, I don't get it This site has ruined me.....This site has ruined me.....This site has ruined me.....

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast