autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: This site has ruined me.....

I find the people who say they "really look after their rides" can be the worst sometimes. They list the products they use and silently I'm going "nope, nope, nope". I don't show them the swirls or watermarks, I leave them dumb and happy.

The worst I remember was a guy who drove his porsche 911 into the high pressure spray wash, than used a spray wax on it before he cleaned it, apparently it made the water run off better. He said he was a panel beater and he knew how to look after paint. It was all swirls.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

2. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I may hit up the Street Machines show this year as well.
    I definitely like the variety there vs. BTT50's.

Since I live so close to the grounds, it's also easy for me to walk down to Snelling for the cruising scene in the evenings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Odrapnew View Post
    I may hit up the Street Machines show this year as well.
    I definitely like the variety there vs. BTT50's.

Since I live so close to the grounds, it's also easy for me to walk down to Snelling for the cruising scene in the evenings.
    Do you charge people to park in your yard/driveway during the State Fair?
    My nephew lives just off Midway Pkwy near Pascal ( 2 blocks from the main gate) and squeezes 10 cars in his yard for 20 bucks a pop.
    He made over 5 grand 2 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Same here, honestly. I remember the days when every sunny day that I drove my car, that evening was spend using detail spray to wipe off all the dust and road grime lol. I'd use one to two microfiber towels from O'Reilly Auto and drop them in the dirty clothes bin. Now, I can only bring myself to do any kind of "wipe down" if I've washed it within the last day or two and only if I've just gone for a drive. Anything else is a full wash or 10 or more microfiber waterless/rinseless wash. I still get some minor marring etc, but I'll have to do a fine finish polish every year. Never mind the cost difference, it's the amount of extra work that is involved just to ease the mind haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dieselfan1 View Post
    Do you charge people to park in your yard/driveway during the State Fair?
    My nephew lives just off Midway Pkwy near Pascal ( 2 blocks from the main gate) and squeezes 10 cars in his yard for 20 bucks a pop.
    He made over 5 grand 2 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    No for 2 reasons.
    Main reason is I can't (legally). I live in Falcon Heights, which bans parking in the yard.
    And the other reason is I'm far enough away that it would be hard to charge for parking in my yard although on nice weekends during the fair our street will fill up by 9am.

The people who own the house on the corner of Snelling and Hoyt have to rake in the dough as well.
    Their whole yard is essentially gravel, so they can park a lot of cars (I think I counted something like 20 one time).

Post Thanks / Like

I painted when in college and for a few years after.

The horrible paint jobs I'd see, especially by the DIY crowd just made me cringe sometimes. Nobody seems to understand in which direction to roll out a ceiling. I still look at heinous giant brush marks on trim as well as ropes or roller lines on walls. Don't even get me started on caulking. Well done caulk lines shouldn't be more than 1/8"...less if it's on properly installed wood trim. I've seen guys gob it on like they're dressing a toothbrush with toothpaste.

I'm a painting snob.

Now I'm a detailing snob.

8. Likes Klasse Act, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's like the kid from The Sixth Sense... "I see swirls...!"

For me it's everywhere I go. Car's and Coffee, car shows, walking across a parking lot at work...even watching auctions on TV. I'm not sure which disappoints me more, a swirled out car or one with obvious, and horrible looking rotary buffer holograms. The swirls are self induced, but the owner most likely paid good money to get the holograms carved into the paint.

I don't know how to operate a rotary and would never take one to a customer car for this reason. I'd also never even think about leaving someone's car with them all over the place. There is a car in my parking lot at work with serious holograms all over it. At no point does the paint look shiny and glossy at all...near or far away. It's just a bad job that changes based on the distance and lighting.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I find the people who say they "really look after their rides" can be the worst sometimes.
    I don’t go to car shows anymore. I love nice cars, classic cars, and can talk quite fluently about engines, model years, etc. but I can’t seem to have a decent conversation with anyone at these swirl shows.

When I kindly mention my detailing business to most folks at cars and coffee its taken as a challenge to their ability to care for their own car. I am told they do their own detailing. Their cars are actually swirled-out disasters with exhaust tips that haven’t been touched in a year.

I know my posture is just another angle of car snobbery, but I have checked out of car shows. They drive me nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes PaulMys, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree 100%.

This GT was in our shop today for the Takata air bag recall. It was a swirled-out mess up close.
    (I didn’t get any close-ups because the owner was standing a few steps away. He just thought I was taking the pic because I was enamored with the car.)

It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

13. Likes Big Dave, goldendodo19, Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Guarantee he ‘does his own detailing’.

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast