autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

SiO2 washes and trim products

So I have two questions, maybe somewhat dumb, and I think I know the answer to one already, but here goes:

I got some WG SiO2 waterless wash over the winter, hoping it will save me some time and encourage me to wash my vehicles more often. I currently have a 2014 Subaru Forester and a 2019 Subaru Legacy. My questions are:

1. The rear bumper trim and cowl on my Forester is a little faded. I was thinking of getting some Solution Finish (or other product) to restore them. I am assuming that if I washed first with the WG SiO2, the trim product wouldn't really work too well since the SiO2 wash would "seal" the trim. Rather, I should do a regular wash first, then do a trim product, and could still use the SiO2 wash for future washes when I am not also doing a trim product.

2. Since the wife's car is newer (2019), I want to try and stay on top of the trim and keep it looking nice. If I was diligent about using an SiO2 wash (or even a spray product such as TW Hybrid Ceramic spray Coating), do those kind of products provide enough protection, UV resistance, etc. to keep maintained and looking good, or do you really always need a trim product of some sort to keep trim looking fresh (I have Meg's #40 and other products as well on tap)?

TIA for everyone's time and thoughts.

-Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SiO2 washes and trim products

Just wait until you get solution finish.

While you are at it take a look at this.

3. Likes rockford33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with The Guy, you are going to be fighting yourself to use the Wolfgang SiO2 Rinseless prior to the application of Solution Finish. Just use some standard car soap for the short term.

I use that WG SiO2 rinseless now on a regular basis on my own cars and a few customers. It will not seal up the pores in the trim (IMHO), the concentration is not great. Follow the link to Thursday video The Guy sent! It was a very good demo and discussion on the proper use of Solution Finish and their new topper, Over The Top.

5. Likes rockford33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link, I was hoping to watch it yesterday as it seemed very timely for my situation, but it was the middle of the work day....Will probably watch tonight.

So it still sounds like a dedicated trim protection product is needed even with all the new SiO2 washes, spray ceramics, etc.

Thank you,
    Neil

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Just wait until you get solution finish.

While you are at it take a look at this.

does that product actually work?

i watched project farms video on trim restore and all the name brands suck so bad. only one worked but its a ceramic coating and isnt ideal for all trim
    Best Plastic Car Trim Restorer? Let's find out! 303 Protect, Mothers, Turtle Wax, Meguiars, CeraKote - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer23 View Post
    does that product actually work?

i watched project farms video on trim restore and all the name brands suck so bad. only one worked but its a ceramic coating and isnt ideal for all trim
    Best Plastic Car Trim Restorer? Let's find out! 303 Protect, Mothers, Turtle Wax, Meguiars, CeraKote - YouTube
    I recommend you watch the video and listen to the creator of Solution Finish. You will learn a lot about plastic and know why it is the #1 recommended trim restorer.

Post Thanks / Like

And Mike P recently used Solution Finish Over the Top coating though Autogeek doesn’t carry it yet but I hope that changes soon as it has my interest piqued. Then again I still have plenty of Pinnacle Ceramic Trim Restorer that I use over Solution Finish when necessary though usually just the coating directly on trim.

Post Thanks / Like

On the newer car if the trim looks good just ceramic coat it. As easy as applying a sealant and will do well to protect it.

I recently did a 2015 rav4 w/ faded trim and the coating did nice to darken it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes robwoodgto, rockford33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So I did a little more research this past week. I think I might get some Solution Finish for my trim and use it on new and old trim. I figure I have dressing to keep the trim protected (saw that in one of Mike P's posts) as well as washing with an SiO2 wash or spraying a hybrid ceramic spray after a wash (got a bottle of TW to use up....). Trying to trim down the excess of products I have gathered over the years and get back to essentials (that's what I get for finally getting around to cleaning and organizing the garage).

Thanks for all the replies and always welcome more.

Neil

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It’s my opinion that your answer to #1 has been discussed here and you should use a normal wash for at least a few weeks before applying Solution Finish.

And for question #2 you can always use Solution Finish on new trim but I think you would absolutely be protecting the new trim by coating it, using any SiO2 Spray, and by washing with WG SiO2 Waterless or Coating Wash. I used WG Uber Ceramic Spray Coating on a friends car recently (2015 model) and it made the trim look black amd protected and I’m betting it will stay that way for some time, but not for as long as it lasts on paint.

It all depends how often you want to protect the new cars’ trim with regular or long term protection products. You’ll someday see it fade if you don’t protect regularly and that’s when Solution Finish really excels in my opinion.

14. Likes rockford33 liked this post