autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I hate black

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I hate black

Quote Originally Posted by soobaroo View Post
    When I use sio2 spray it seems streaky no matter how much I wipe it. Same thing with Optimum opti clean. Toyota’s black is metal flake and it has a faded look to it. No way to get that wet look no matter what you use but at least you see every streak, swirl, scratch and fingerprint. Do a full paint correction and it only takes some dust blowing across it to ruin the work. I’m going to try the Wolfgang sio2 sealant instead of the spray and see how that works but I’ve pretty much given up on it looking good for more than ten minutes. Sorry for the rant but I will never buy black again. How does anyone deal with it?
    Ceramic Coat it. I'm a huge black fan and owner and while it can be a bit more work, overall, it's not horrible. Key IMO is to Ceramic Coat it. Once done, something like Beadmaker or Uber Rinseless mixed as a detail spray is all you really need. Yes, most ceramic companies have their own topper/detail mists and those can be used too. Streaking overall when occurring typically is because the car likely doesn't need a topper. The polymers are left sitting on top of whatever the LSP is and not needed.

Toyota and most Japanese brands have a softer clear thus use the corresponding appropriate polishes. I like CarPro for it's results and ease of use.

I have a nearly 100k mile Corolla that is my sons and while it has miles and age on it, it still goes super strong. CarPro UK 3.0 and CarPro Gliss v2 both done nearly 2 years ago and still working. 24x7 outside sitting.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

2. Likes opie, Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love black cars..... when there not mine. I had my daily GT coated in cquartz 3.0 and CanCoat and still dusty hour after i washed it.

Yes the reward of a shiny black car is worth it till 8 hours later. Thing is though it’s how we see it. Most who looked at my car would comment how clean it is when i think i need to give it a wipe down.

Sire did look good when it was clean though. And yes if your gonna live with a black car coating it performed the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes robwoodgto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Black requires to much maintenance for me to be a daily. Would only ever concider black for a garage queen weekend cruiser.

To OP i also agree that it could possibly be your technique. When i first started using sio2 spray sealant, i got streaks until i dialed back on product usage. Spritz product onto towel then apply to panel. Little goes a long way. I easliy get a dozen vehicles out of 16 oz bottle.

6. Likes robwoodgto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good suggestions. I think I’m using too much of the spray product even though I do small sections at a time. Have to try spraying it on the towel instead of the paint and dial back the volume some more. My truck probably looks better than 95% of the black vehicles in town but to me it just always looks dirty.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good suggestions. I think I’m using too much of the spray product even though I do small sections at a time. Have to try spraying it on the towel instead of the paint and dial back the volume some more. My truck probably looks better than 95% of the black vehicles in town but to me it just always looks dirty.
    I too have a black car, Acura TLX and it is/can be a huge pain in the posterior to keep up with. However, when I do apply a detail spray or something of that nature I always spray it on the towel and not the panel because of streaking from just about anything I apply to it.

I will say, once the car is looking spectacular and it does get a little dirty, to a common person it looks awesome but to “us” though it’s trashed and we want to bury our heads in the sand!

Example, I did a quick rinseless wash Wednesday morning and applied crystal mist detail spray later that night in preparation for a 650 mile trip to Oxford MS that we took yesterday, for the life of me I have no idea how the car got so dusty from front bumper to rear bumper when I was going between 70-80mph the whole time other than getting gas....to the normal person it looks great but to me I’m scrambling to look for a touch less car wash!

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

9. Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Love black cars..... when there not mine. I had my daily GT coated in cquartz 3.0 and CanCoat and still dusty hour after i washed it.

Yes the reward of a shiny black car is worth it till 8 hours later. Thing is though it’s how we see it. Most who looked at my car would comment how clean it is when i think i need to give it a wipe down.

Sire did look good when it was clean though. And yes if your gonna live with a black car coating it performed the best.

Is that where your going to bury her?

11. Likes PaulMys, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robwoodgto View Post
    I truly believe black is the color to buy. No matter what, black just looks good when it is clean. I have a feeling you are getting streaks with the sio2 due to application technique.

I have had Turtle Wax Ceramic Coating, Turtle Wax Wet Wax, and Griots Garage Ceramic 3 in 1 all streak for me. I had all but given up but I kept working with them and by working 1 panel at a time improved my application technique.

Keep working with it 1 panel at a time and you will master it.

Can’t go wrong with the Wolfgang though.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    I think I just used too much and will go lighter next time.

13. Likes robwoodgto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I just used too much and will go lighter next time.
    Yeah over applying is definitely an issue on black

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like black cars for the maintenance hassle, but that being said, we had three of them, now down to two. I've done paint corrections on all three and have had no streaking issues with either Mother's CMX or Hybrid Solutions.

One key to it is having the paint surface super clean. IPA of course works well, but I really like the Mother's CMX surface prep. After using it, the surface is smudge free and the coatings glide on with no streaking.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you, soob. Black is difficult for us but some years ago I took a different perspective on it.

I considered it my doctorate thesis on detailing and took a lot of time perfecting it and maintaining it. I learned a LOT and applied those lessons to every vehicle i do now.

I will say I learned and applied those techniques on THAT black paint and others may be tougher or easier but I learned a lot.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast