autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I get any added benefit from ceramic coating given my low car usage?

I've been using and applying Collinite 845 twice a year on my basic gray Honda. I like shiny paint and I like to rinse my car and wipe it with detailer regularly. I've also been experimenting with Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax Spray on my wife's car. My car is mostly garaged and is used only a few times each week. I also polish and compound about 2x per year but am not really obsessive about it. I mostly want it protected and kept in decent condition.

Given that both Collinite and, based on what I've seen online, the HCW, can easily last more than 6 months with wax/ceramic boosters periodically, is there any real benefit to me to bother with trying/learning to apply a high grade ceramic coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can I get any added benefit from ceramic coating given my low car usage?

Here is the thing. You are going to get many responses with pros and cons of either option. My advice would be if you want to try a coating then just try it. Worst case if you don't like it, is it can be polished off and you can go back to what you like.

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

People have said that removing some coatings is a potential problem.

Post Thanks / Like

It is not hard to remove a coating.

6. Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post
    Likes BudgetPlan1, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out this video from Chicago Auto Pros - you might find it very informative.

Why You Shouldn't Get A Ceramic Coating - YouTube
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Here is the thing. You are going to get many responses with pros and cons of either option. My advice would be if you want to try a coating then just try it. Worst case if you don't like it, is it can be polished off and you can go back to what you like.
    This is best answer you'll get to your question.

OP: From what you said, it's pretty clear the durability of a coating doesn't really matter to you because your happy with your current detailing regimen. That takes one characteristic of a coating out of the equation.

With that in mind, something else to think about would be the properties coatings possess like their water behavior which make the cars easier to clean/maintain. If this interests you, it opens the door to a ton of new SiO2 infused sealants or even the "Lite" coatings like Gyeon CanCoat or Capro Cquartz Lite. A great example is the one I tried recently, Wolfgang's SiO2 Paint Sealant. It's a sealant similar to 845, but it behaves more like a coating when it comes to water behavior and ease of cleaning. I've been a 845 fan for many years, but after trying the Wolfgang sealant, it will be the one I reach for if I'm not using a coating.

This may have blown up the conversation, but I just wanted to mention there are alternatives which can deliver some of the goodness of a coating, but still fit in your current routine.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

9. Likes BudgetPlan1, PaulMys, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coase View Post
    I've been using and applying Collinite 845 twice a year on my basic gray Honda. I like shiny paint and I like to rinse my car and wipe it with detailer regularly. I've also been experimenting with Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax Spray on my wife's car. My car is mostly garaged and is used only a few times each week. I also polish and compound about 2x per year but am not really obsessive about it. I mostly want it protected and kept in decent condition.

Given that both Collinite and, based on what I've seen online, the HCW, can easily last more than 6 months with wax/ceramic boosters periodically, is there any real benefit to me to bother with trying/learning to apply a high grade ceramic coating?
    You will not find better advice than from the members that have already answered.

The choice is ultimately yours, of course.

But I will add that Collinite has been around since 1936 with almost zero advertising, and is still one of the most touted products for its incredible durability.

Just sayin'.........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

11. Likes oneheadlite liked this post