autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Super hazy headlights after restoration 🤔

Hey guys, new member here. I tried searching this topic but didn't find any helpful information. Just a few older threads. Hopefully this is the right place to post. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have restored plenty of headlights in the past and this is the first time that I've really encountered this "issue". The vehicle is a 2003 Nissan Maxima. I started off using the 3M headlight restoration kit then added a variety of different sanding disc. I started with 500 grit (included in 3M kit) then progressed up to 2500grit and 3M Trizact 3000 pad. Polished with Meguiars 105 and also tried Meguiars plastic X. The lense itself is free from scratches or major defects. It looks okay but doesn't have the clarity that it needs to have. Hopefully the picture shows up below. Please let me know if you guys have any suggestions on what I can do to make these "pop". I hate the hazy look.

Before:

After:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Super hazy headlights after restoration 🤔

Are you polishing by hand or machine?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wet sanding was done with cordless drill, polishing done with both drill (foam attachment included in kit) and DA polisher with microfiber pad.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done plenty but have never sanded with below 1000 grit. IMO it's more trouble than it's worth when it comes to then refining them. I'd likely give it another go with 3000. They should eventually prove far clearer than this and then a final polish (I use Rolite brand polishes) will bring them to near 100%.

I wouldn't stress too much as once you hit them with Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight (4oz spray can) even what you show here will come back to clear.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not sure exactly what year this Nissan Maxima was, but when I tried polishing the headlights they didn’t budge one bit. I’m talking zero change. So I’d say it has less to do with technique and more to do with Nissans from that era having cheap headlights.

And IME that Meguiars spray will not fix headlights that behave like this. I’ve tried it on my fathers Tacoma and once the plastic turns yellow all the way through there’s no fixing it.

6. Thanks Zcutty69 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    And IME that Meguiars spray will not fix headlights that behave like this. I’ve tried it on my fathers Tacoma and once the plastic turns yellow all the way through there’s no fixing it.
    This thought goes in the same direction I was thinking too. I think there is a point in time where the hazing/discoloration is IN the plastic itself (or maybe the interior surface) and no longer an external surface issue.

I've been polishing the headlights on my daughter's Mazda for a few years now. One thing I noticed the last time is I can still get them really clear/new looking, but there are slight hints of cloudiness which appear to be either in the plastic itself or on the inside of the lens. You have to get really close and know what your looking at, but it's there and I'm confident it wasn't there in the past.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

8. Likes Eldorado2k, Zcutty69, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    This thought goes in the same direction I was thinking too. I think there is a point in time where the hazing/discoloration is IN the plastic itself (or maybe the interior surface) and no longer an external surface issue.

I've been polishing the headlights on my daughter's Mazda for a few years now. One thing I noticed the last time is I can still get them really clear/new looking, but there are slight hints of cloudiness which appear to be either in the plastic itself or on the inside of the lens. You have to get really close and know what your looking at, but it's there and I'm confident it wasn't there in the past.
    These cheap license plate covers serve as the perfect example of that cheap plastic where that happens. I used to have several of these that showed the effects of that longterm sun damage and they turn yellow all the way through. I can’t remember if they finally got tossed or where they’re at right now.

10. Likes Zcutty69 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Greatly appreciate the input guys. I honestly think it's the plastic itself the more I think about it. The exterior surface of the lense is pretty much perfect. Also forgot to mention but I did use the Meguiars "keep clear coating" and it didn't make any difference besides adding just a bit of gloss to the surface. The headlight still looks hazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zcutty69 View Post
    Greatly appreciate the input guys. I honestly think it's the plastic itself the more I think about it. The exterior surface of the lense is pretty much perfect. Also forgot to mention but I did use the Meguiars "keep clear coating" and it didn't make any difference besides adding just a bit of gloss to the surface. The headlight still looks hazy.
    Then it's definitely on the inside or the plastic itself. I'd look at removing an assembly and swishing denatured alcohol around inside them to see if the haze is just from build up over time. If not at least you ruled that out. Worst case, look into simply replacements.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

13. Likes Zcutty69 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I'm looking into aftermarket replacements now. I might also open one up and try to clean the inside lightly with alcohol. Now can the inside of a headlight be sanded or polished at all ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast