autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coating for preventing micro/mini srcatches?

Hello
    Will the ceramic coating protect the black paint against micro / mini scratches? In general, the paint easily catches mini scratches visible only in the sun at the right angle, and I wonder if the ceramics will prevent this effect. I do not want to polish my paint with finishing compund every month just to remove this mini scratches.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coating for preventing micro/mini srcatches?

My understanding is that while ceramic coatings are scratch resistant, they are not scratch proof. A coating will help reduce scratches but will not guarantee 100% protection. So even with a coating you still have to use proper equipment and technique to minimize the chances of inducing scratches.

If you want to be 100% protected against scratches, the only product that provides that is a full-car Paint Protection Film or PPF. PPF has self-healing properties. So any scratches induced during a wash will magically disappear in the heat of the sun. But a whole car PPF can cost a lot of $$$$.

3. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coatings, despite some vendor claims, will not prevent or protect against swirls and light marring. They do help with things like bugs coming off easier and grime washing off easier which lessens the opportunities of swirls appearing, but they are not a protective barrier.

I own a black car as was my previous car. If you are seeing swirls developing to the point you feel you need to polish them out every month, you need to look at changing your process, products, or things like wash mitts and drying towels to keep them from appearing that quickly. I can easily go 12~18 months before I start to feel the need to polish out my black car.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

5. Likes BudgetPlan1, Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by locarno View Post
    Hello
    Will the ceramic coating protect the black paint against micro / mini scratches? In general, the paint easily catches mini scratches visible only in the sun at the right angle, and I wonder if the ceramics will prevent this effect. I do not want to polish my paint with finishing compund every month just to remove this mini scratches.
    A coating can be scratch resistant. Not scratch proof. From my own personal experience, a specific section (albeit a small section) of my hood is 100% defect free according to my eyes. I applied Gyeon CanCoat on the car and have washed the car at least 10-15 times since then, maybe more using traditional 2 bucket, rinseless, and waterless wash methods. This small section shows no swirl marks or scratches to date.

I have to assume this is representative of the entire car with exception of maybe the rocker panels due to road debris, but then again expecting a coating to protect a car from road debris might be asking the coating to be scratch proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

If you do not want to see swirls or scratches buy a white or silver car.Scratches and swirls are hard to see with those colors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post
    If you do not want to see swirls or scratches buy a white or silver car.Scratches and swirls are hard to see with those colors.
    This is true. My friend have silver car and it is really hard to see swirls or other marks.

I heard about PPF but what about yellowish after some time fro UV? Will this foil turn yellow?

Post Thanks / Like

This is true. My friend have silver car and it is really hard to see swirls or other marks.

I heard about PPF but what about yellowish after some time fro UV? Will this foil turn yellow?
    That used to be an issue with the first PPF that came out a decade ago. The most recent PPF from the major manufacturers are more advanced and should not yellow over time. And if it does yellow, PPF usually comes with a substantial warranty that covers premature yellowing. I got a full-car Xpel PPF in 2018. Today it looks just as good as it did the day I got it installed. And this car is parked outside 24/7. Xpel PPF comes with a 10-year warranty that is transferable if I decide to sell the car.

10. Likes bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello
    A coating will help some but the biggest thing to get rid of swirls and scratches that are already there by polishing before you coat.

Then to keep from getting more swirls and scratching it’s all about how you wash and dry your car. Proper technique and products will work wonders.

If you use an automated car wash please stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes TTQ B4U, bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As noted, yes and no. The key to ceramic is that they clean easier and dirt doesn't bond as easily or tightly both of which can be seen as an aid in preventing marring. Another key is in techniques for washing and drying. IMO, more on the drying side. Use a good quality MF Towel or rag that is dampened with a drying aid like a rinseless wash solution. The polymers in them won't impact the coating but offer a lubrication vs just plain water.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

14. Likes joebruin77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    As noted, yes and no. The key to ceramic is that they clean easier and dirt doesn't bond as easily or tightly both of which can be seen as an aid in preventing marring. Another key is in techniques for washing and drying. IMO, more on the drying side. Use a good quality MF Towel or rag that is dampened with a drying aid like a rinseless wash solution. The polymers in them won't impact the coating but offer a lubrication vs just plain water.
    I completely agree with you that drying is often the culprit in inducing scratches and is often overlooked. Many people focus on proper washing techniques and forget to consider how drying may actually induce scratches and swirls. To reduce scratches induced during the drying process, you can use forced air to dry the car. If you don't have access to forced air, use a drying aid to provide sufficient lubrication as you dry. Most importantly, make sure your drying towel is clean, soft, and overall in good condition. Never wash your microfiber towels with fabric softener and only dry them in the dryer on ultra low temperature. Recently, I started washing my towels with "Rags To Riches" microfiber detergent and it cleans and reconditions microfiber towels really well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast