autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dealer Car Service - Preventing Damage

Hi all

I just had my black i30 Nline in at the dealer for its 20k service. I have looked after this thing meticulously, and around 3 months ago did a full detail including polishing and coating it with CarPro Lite.

Anyway, I asked them not to wash it and put up ‘Do Not Wash’ signs. It was raining today and they seemed to honor that request. However, there is still ‘something’ on parts of the car. It looks like grease to me and came off with a QD. In some parts of the car there are swirls - it could be worse.. but still annoying none the less. I’ve attached some pics below of whatever it is that was on the car. How it got in some of those places I do not know.

My question is, what do you guys who care about your car who have spent hrs keeping it at its best tell the dealer before a service? I am trying to decide if I send them photos of this from today or let it go and just say something next service- but what else other then ‘do not wash’ do you say? Do you tell them not to touch the paint at all? I don’t want to be ‘that guy’ but at the same time spending all these hrs looking after my car and then having a lot of that work undone with one service is just painful. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealer Car Service - Preventing Damage

Eek! I'd be upset if my car came back like that. Maybe talk to the service advisor
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

4. Thanks rover137 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do the same (do not wash tag) and ask them not to wash it verbally. I've been lucky at the dealer so far but I wasn't as lucky at the body shop. I didn't ask them not to wash it. I thought they might have to and that they'd be careful if they did. I inspected the repaired area and found an issue they had to correct but didn't think to look at the rest of the car which got complimentary swirl marks. Not much I can do at this point since I'd rather just polish it myself vs have them do it.

6. Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a discussion for the Service Manager for sure.

At first when I read the post, I was thinking they possibly spilled something on the car while performing the service and did a horrible job cleaning up. After looking at the pictures, I'm not sure what the service techs were up to, but it wasn't good.

I guess I've been fortunate. I don't always go to the dealer, but when I do they are pretty respectful of my wishes of not washing and seem to take pretty good care of the vehicles.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

My dealer knows me by now and they know not to put my vehicles through their “courtesy” wash. There are still times when the vehicle comes back with dirt and grease smudges especially on the steering wheel, seat and driver’s door. I don’t get too excited about it because I know that the mechanic is going to get dirty and it will transfer to somewhere on the vehicle. The smudges can easily be cleaned up and it gives me another excuse to work on my vehicle. If there is significant damage like oil on the carpet or chipped paint, then I would have a problem and talk to the owner.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

9. Likes rover137, bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t know, you can eat off *every* surface of my vehicle when I bring it in as a courtesy to the mechanic. I would expect it to be returned to me in the same condition.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

11. Likes rover137 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    I do the same (do not wash tag) and ask them not to wash it verbally. I've been lucky at the dealer so far but I wasn't as lucky at the body shop. I didn't ask them not to wash it. I thought they might have to and that they'd be careful if they did. I inspected the repaired area and found an issue they had to correct but didn't think to look at the rest of the car which got complimentary swirl marks. Not much I can do at this point since I'd rather just polish it myself vs have them do it.

That sucks man! I had a similar experience at a body shop as well. I did ask them not to wash it, which they honoured. But the side of the car they work on was badly swirled and had over spray everywhere. Also, the actual part they painted bubbled off after using a waterless wash on it. Apparently it was where they taped up - they forgot to put clear coat on the spot covered in tape...

13. Likes MisterSnoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    That's a discussion for the Service Manager for sure.

At first when I read the post, I was thinking they possibly spilled something on the car while performing the service and did a horrible job cleaning up. After looking at the pictures, I'm not sure what the service techs were up to, but it wasn't good.

I guess I've been fortunate. I don't always go to the dealer, but when I do they are pretty respectful of my wishes of not washing and seem to take pretty good care of the vehicles.

Yeah, i am thinking of maybe sending an email with some photos and asking what happened. My only thought is that it was from a mechanic 'leaning' on the car with greasy overalls. That whole front bit is covered in it, and there is none on the hood at all - so maybe while the hood was open he was leaning on it that part while pouring oil? Some of the spots (like the back light) are just weird. The area around the fuel flap is completely swirled up.

My only worry (and i shouldn't have to think like this) about saying something is - next time when they are servicing my car and maybe get grease on the car that instead of leaving it and not washing the car like this time... they attempt to remove it with some oily rag as i have previously complained about it being returned 'dirty'.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like they laid a dirty/oily "fender guard" over the front clip. If the fender guard is contaminated, it completely defeats the purpose of using it.

Regardless, I'd be pretty pissed and would definitely have a talk with the service manager.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

16. Likes MisterSnoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    It looks like they laid a dirty/oily "fender guard" over the front clip. If the fender guard is contaminated, it completely defeats the purpose of using it.

Regardless, I'd be pretty pissed and would definitely have a talk with the service manager.
    Yeah, great suggestion i think that does explain the front bit! I am still not sure how the whole drivers door could be covered in it, or back lights and a few other places.

Yeah, i probably should. As above, i am just worried that instead of changing their practices for one guy who pays particular attention to his car...that next time they attempt to clean their mess and cause further damage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast